• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinions on IGN.com's Top 100 Pokemon List

*sighs* Well I am glad I am a member of Bulbagarden and PokeComminuty which actually gives these pokemon appreciation and is not filled which nostalgia blinded folks unlike IGN

Charizard won! Wow. That was kinda crappy. Charizard should be a bit lower and Pikachu raised higher and Arceus way higher. My opinion

I wonder if they'll publish a list (without comments since that's time-consuming) showing the rankings of the other 549?

*sighs* Well I am glad I am a member of Bulbagarden and PokeComminuty which actually gives these pokemon appreciation and is not filled which nostalgia blinded folks unlike IGN

Repeating myself: please stop bashing people whose vote you don'T agree with.

I wonder if they'll publish a list (without comments since that's time-consuming) showing the rankings of the other 549?

I don't think that.

Don't mind. What if Bulbagarden does a massive poll to choose the top 100? Not a thread in the forum, but something more elaborated. It's not too hard to program, I guess. The "hardest" part is coming with a good poll system. I have some ideas. Maybe "choose your 10 favs" and add points according to the place you put them.

-------------

Ah, another thing. Despite I'm equally disconform with the IGN poll results, Gen I is over-represented because of nostardgics and many Pokémon I like and aren't Gen I didn't make it to the top 100, I think "the best Pokémon" shouldn't be only about strength, abilities/weaknesses, etc. Lots of people despise Charizard because it's not strong, has many weaknesses, it's outclassed by another Pokémon, etc. If we're going to choose the best only in terms of strength, better go and leave the job to Smogon instead of a public poll.

I said this because although Charizard is not nearly my favorite, but I still like it, because of dragon-look, it's the only Flying starter, combines two of my favorite types (Fire/Flying) and it's not bad if you won't battle competitively. Also it has some nice moves. I wouldn't give #1, but still top 20 at least.

Don't mind. What if Bulbagarden does a massive poll to choose the top 100? Not a thread in the forum, but something more elaborated. It's not too hard to program, I guess. The "hardest" part is coming with a good poll system. I have some ideas. Maybe "choose your 10 favs" and add points according to the place you put them.

I support this 100%.

IMPORTANT ADMIN NOTE

That's twice now I've hard to remind people to be civil and stop insulting

Up until now I was sending warnings to people who did it anyway, but two public reminders in the thread is more than sufficient warning, so effective as of my last warning I will be infracting for flaming and baiting people who show that they cannot respect fans of the older generations or different pokémon or whatnot.

If you cannot deal with Charizard finishing first without insulting the Gen I/Charizard/IGN fans, you're welcome to not post in this thread.

Charizard won huh? Nice. A bit surprised, but then again it's Charizard. Arguably the most popular starter of the original generation. It makes sense.

I'm actually glad Charizard won. It's arguably the most iconic Pokémon, regardless of its superior successors.

I wasn't surprised to see that the top three were all Gen I Pokemon, but I was very pleasantly surprised to see that Zekrom made number 10 :-D

Yeah I don't get why so many people are appalled that Charizard won. He's clearly the most popular Pokemon, so he deserved to be #1. He may not be my favorite, but I can't argue with his popularity.

But hey, most of my favorites made the top 100 so I'm cool with that.

lol some of my favorite Pokemon are in the top 20. Awesome.

Also lol at everyone raging about Gen I Pokemon. u mad.

Why did Charizard have to be #1? There are so many better pokemon! And, I like newer pokemon better than old pokemon. I always thought the old pokemon and games were extremely dull. (So in my opinion, he's NOT awesome to me.)

Last edited:
A couple old pokemon fanboys and I are putting together a tournament at the moment to determine the King of Pokemon. We incorporated competitive battling, look and in-game. The problem was, that in the end mostly final forms were there. So we'll have a Petit Cup Later.

We're down to 96, and trying to narrow it down to the final 64 is no easy task. My point is this list isn't perfect, as it's hard to do.

Edit: I don't want to add to the rage here, but seriously Pokemon games came out after 2000. I feel like the voting here was flawed, because the nominations should have been more scrutinized and put into a tournament form.

I think it's pretty awesome how they chose Charizad, Mewtwo, Blastoise, Lugia, and Dragonite as the top 5. Who doesn't love Charizard? It's one of the first strong Fire types that I ever remember and how Ash raised it from a poor little misinformed Charmander into such a huge, powerful Pokemon. And who doesn't occasionally pity Mewtwo, the poor clone who had to suffer through the hardship of losing the only friends he had come to known? He would have had those friends if the experiments hadn't failed. Blastoise, with his powerful cannons and the nostalgia of being the cover art of Pokemon Blue. Those two are the first fully strong starters you see. Lugia's story is both interesting and a bit sad. He's the second legendary they put in this list, but I love Lugia's role in his movie and his strengths as a Pokemon. Dragonite is an adorable yet strong Dragon-type Pokemon. Its entire evolution line continues to be one of my favorite Dragon lines.
As for Ghastly, I say congratulations on making #100! And I'm surprised not too many people are fans of Blaziken (#50, wow o_o) but that's alright. I'm fine being the solitary fan. Congrats to Umbreon for making #40 (also one of my favorites). One of the amazing Eeveelutions...not to mention a mysterious yet elegant Dark type.

Also, to whoever said this:
vivalaviolet1 said:
Can I just say this list is bullshit? Pikachu, the international SYMBOL of pokemon, ISN'T #1?? Charizard's great but... It's Pikachu...
It's true that Pikachu is the most common thing on the world's mind when you hear the word 'Pokemon'. But the thing is, Pikachu was Ash's first Pokemon and a major character/symbol mostly in the original series. As the time went on, they incorporated more legendaries and various types and Pokemon. Pikachu is simply special mainly in Ash's heart as its his first ever Pokemon. To everyone else, Pikachu might just as be a regular (and powerful) Electric Pokemon. This isn't to say that it's an "international symbol"...I just think once you delve deeper into the mind of an actual Pokemon fan, you'd see more than Pikachu.

On a closing note, I think GEN I will always be in my heart, specially. :)

Oh gods, sorry for turning this into an essay... :/

Zekrom made it in the TOP 10!

This makes me happy enough. I already expected the Kanto Starters + Mew + Mewtwo to be on the top of the list.

As unsurprised as I was that Gen I dominated the top 10, I do think the top spot going to Charizard was a good choice.

Come on, guys. Of course Charizard was going to be #1. Well, either that or Mewtwo. Incidentally, I found it fitting that Mewtwo was #2. Haha, get it? Mewtwo? #2??

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom