• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinions on IGN.com's Top 100 Pokemon List

I'd be immensely surprised if Emboar made it to that list; the little guy isn't widely loved as the other gen V starter lines.
I know how you feel. Maybe not the evolutions, but I felt the Gen V basic starter forms hit a pretty good note across the board.

If it makes you feel better, Leafeon is much better competitively to Glaceon. It was UU las gen whereas Glaceon was NU. In fact, aside from Vaporeon, Jolteon and maybe, maybe Umbreon, Leafeon was the most popular Eeveelution competitively in Gen IV. With her new ability, Magic Mirror, we can expect Espeon to be quite popular this gen too, but Leafeon got Droughtales as a buff, so mabe we'll see more of him too.
Oh yes, that's definitely a bonus, though people tend to over look those stats when picking favorites among the Eevee lines. The perks of pretty solid Attack, Defense and Speed were an added bonus to a pokemon I always liked.

The DroughtTales combo is actually something I'm really excited for. It's funny because Ninetales, Leafeon and Espeon have already been a big part of my team for most of Gen IV. These ability boosts are a bittersweet addition because while they're game changers, their popularity will kinda steal that individuality I had built in my team. I know I'm going to start running into them everywhere now :sweatlol:

Also, if it makes you feel better, Leafeon is my favorite Eeveelution too.
X3

List so far is... interesting. I'm happy Meganium made the list. I honestly didn't have much hope of seeing her in there. Still, I think she should have been higher (not top 50 or anything, but higher.)
I have a soft spot for grass starters and I'm pleased by that, though I wouldn't blinked if Meganium didn't make it. I think her spot is deserved still.

I like Pokemon from all generations. To me, they aren't divided by generations. They are all simply Pokemon.
Argument well put. It's arguable that there are just really good pokemon that can't be ignored from Gen I. Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Mew? Everyone loves them. They'll fall in favor nostalgia or not.

The only way to tell if there is a bias is out of the statistics, but we won't be able to determine that until IGN reveals everything.

Given the ratio of Gen I:Everything Else based what we currently have, it's 50:50. At least it's not heavily skewed towards Gen I yet, but nostalgia bias still shows a little bit. If the Gen I ratio doesn't reduce to below 50% for the rest of the results, than we may be able to say there was a bias towards nostalgia.

List thus far

81) Latias
82) Infernape
83) Electabuzz
84) Rhydon
85) Deoxys
86) Palkia
87) Meganium
88) Electivire
89) Braviary
90) Rapidash
91) Kadabra
92) Luxray
93) Growlithe
94) Machamp
95) Glaceon
96) Hitmonlee
97) Onix
98) Cubone
99) Gabite
100)Gastly

Well I'm glad that Luxray, Rapidash, Cubone, and Braviary placed, but I love those guys, I wished they'd placed higher. Some of these, hmm...I don't get. I didn't know people liked Rhydon or Palkia, at all. Surprise surprise. The rest I'm alright with.

For the record, Glaceon is my least favorite Eeveelution, I wouldn't be shocked to see the others place higher. Especially Umbreon and Espeon.

Feels bad having obscure favorites.

It'd be interesting to see a poll done the same way conducted on various Pokemon forums throughout the web, with more 'serious' Pokemon players voting only. And how the top 100 list would look then.

I'm sure something like that wouldn't be hard to code.

Although, Palkia and Deoxys in the bottom 20? That seems odd.

I can see it now; a dragon-type, or Charizard, making the #1 spot. People will also go batshit if the Vanillite line makes the list. Doubt it will though.

List thus far

81) Latias
82) Infernape
83) Electabuzz
84) Rhydon
85) Deoxys
86) Palkia
87) Meganium
88) Electivire
89) Braviary
90) Rapidash
91) Kadabra
92) Luxray
93) Growlithe
94) Machamp
95) Glaceon
96) Hitmonlee
97) Onix
98) Cubone
99) Gabite
100)Gastly

And to continue:

61) Arceus
62) Metagross
63) Quilava
64) Kabutops
65) Haxorus
66) Sceptile
67) Pidgeot
68) Zororak
69) Swampert
70) Cyndaquil
71) Samurott
72) Kingdra
73) Houndoom
74) Serperior
75) Absol
76) Flareon
77) Kyurem
78) Ivysaur
79) Celebi
80) Steelix

I'm pretty surprised Sceptile and Samurott beat Jalorda...

And now we wait and see who beat the god

So...I voted like a madman for Whiscash, Medicham and Scraggy for nothing?! :(

Who am I kidding? The Gen I bias was expected...but seriously...stuff like Rhydon? Even with the "I know so much about Pokémon: AIM FOT THE HORN!"-reference? o_O" Lame...

Oh yes, that's definitely a bonus, though people tend to over look those stats when picking favorites among the Eevee lines. The perks of pretty solid Attack, Defense and Speed were an added bonus to a pokemon I always liked.

I've been dying for a Grass type Eeveelution since Gen I and Leafeon certainly did not disappoint. I used him as my alternate Grass type in my SS team (whenever I wasn't using Bulbasaur/Venusaur) and I tell ya, that thing hits like a truck and can take a hit like a stone wall. Definitely one of the better Pokemon in Gen IV.

The DroughtTales combo is actually something I'm really excited for. It's funny because Ninetales, Leafeon and Espeon have already been a big part of my team for most of Gen IV. These ability boosts are a bittersweet addition because while they're game changers, their popularity will kinda steal that individuality I had built in my team. I know I'm going to start running into them everywhere now :sweatlol:

Lol. Those three are actually some of my favorite Pokemon (I have a TON of favorites) but it actually never occured to me to put them all in a team together. Ninetales and Espeon are on the same team in my HG, but Leafeon is on a different team in SS. I wonder how they handle as a trio.

:D

I have a soft spot for grass starters and I'm pleased by that, though I wouldn't blinked if Meganium didn't make it. I think her spot is deserved still.

Every single Grass Starter created so far is in my top 20 list of favorite all time Pokemon, with Bulbasaur standing out as my favorite of them all. I have a soft spot for Meganium though because, while all the other Grass type starters are recognized as either cool looking (Serperior, Sceptile) or useful in battle (Venusaur, Torterra) or both (all of them,) poor Meganium gets the shaft. She's probably the least popular starter of all time (except maybe for the monkey) and frankly, GF have done a horrible job with her movepool.

I love Meganium and wish she had more respect, but at the same time, I know she's not likely to get it any time soon. That's why I was both surprised and happy when she made the list.

Argument well put. It's arguable that there are just really good pokemon that can't be ignored from Gen I. Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Mew? Everyone loves them. They'll fall in favor nostalgia or not.

The only way to tell if there is a bias is out of the statistics, but we won't be able to determine that until IGN reveals everything.

Given the ratio of Gen I:Everything Else based what we currently have, it's 50:50. At least it's not heavily skewed towards Gen I yet, but nostalgia bias still shows a little bit. If the Gen I ratio doesn't reduce to below 50% for the rest of the results, than we may be able to say there was a bias towards nostalgia.

Ugh, I honestly hate Charizard. I just really don't understand the appeal (okay, that's a lie. I understand the appeal, I just don't like it) and frankly, both Mewtwo and Mew are pretty forgettable Legendaries to me (Articuno and Zapdos are the most badass Gen I legends, IMO) so I'm not all that excited to see them on this list. You can tell they're getting the top spots though. Oh well, I'll settle for Venusaur, Blastoise and Blaziken getting to the top 20, at least.

On another note, I'm really happy Serperior, Houndoom, Kingdra, Celebi, Pidgeot, Sceptile, Samurott, Cyndaquil/Quilava, Ivysaur, Absol, Metagross and Haxorus all made the cut as they are all Pokemon I adore. Kinda wish Ivysaur and Houndoom would have gotten higher on the list though.

Also, I gotta say... I kinda have to agree with the assessment of Swampert. It is to date, my least favorite Water Starter. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, I just don't like it.

Nice to see Samurott make his way onto the list. (That's 2 of the gen 5 starters) Considering what was said under Swampert were probably gonna see someone from the Totodile and Squirtle lines as well. And it looks like were going to see all of the gen 3 starters (Swampert and Sceptile are already there), as I can't see Blaziken not making it onto the list. I'd imagine we'll also see Typlosion. If we do that'll be the entire Cyndaquil line.

Nice that Sceptile made it and all, but Grovyle deserved the spot more. :/

...I'm still hoping for Qwilfish to pull off a surprise victory...

Anyway, at least there were five more Unovians in this one. And wow, 60 Pokemon beat the Pokemon God himself. The Top 10 are all probably going to be Generation I, though. Sadly.

And there I wished that Emboar would make it :/ I guess he won't, since both Serperior and Samurott are there.
Well, I can still hope for Blaziken, altough it will probably be in.

Continuing my comments from the announcement thread..

#89? Are you serious? >.<
#86, just lol
#85, just that forme, right?
#81, SEXISM!
#79, Wow, didn't expect to see you here D:
#77, Don't worry, you'll jump 50 places come Pokemon Grey ;)
#74, FFUUUUUUU voters. Pre-evos better score higher >.>
#68, I bet your 4th gen Fighting/Steel other scores higher..
#65, That's just hax (hahahaha.. no.) Where are your other pseudo-buddies?
#61, Assuming Pikachu is first, real world analogy: Humans like rats more than God. Ironic?

"Though our Top 100 rankings seem to be favoring more nostalgic monsters from older generations"

... Eh, I have to give them props for at least noticing it.

Also, yey, Swampert! <3 ... Of course, placing 69 of all the numbers doesn't really do it justice, but there's nothing that can be done about that. Samurott and Sceptile appearing is good, too.

(The plural of Arceus is Arceus, remember the rule of Pokeplurals. >:C)

I remember reading the actual IGN comments back when the contest was going and most people tried to get Magikarp to the #1 spot. And seeing how hes not up yet, I'm scared how high the little fish is going to get.

Kingdra was first introduced in Pokemon Gold/Silver, not Red/Blue. :mad:

Yeah, I'm glad that at least Sceptile made it on the list. My favorite starter! :]

I think Audrey's a nostalgic. If Kingdra wasn't in R/B, it would probably be "the illogical next step" like Togekiss. If Dunsparce, Stunfisk, or Garbodor make the list, I want to see what she has to say about it :p.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom