• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinions on IGN.com's Top 100 Pokemon List

Who the hell writes these descriptions? I can't get through the first five without wincing.

No one loves Jirachi? : <

Shame it looks like it has no chance of getting in by now. :C Jirachi was my first favorite Pokemon. (Unless you want to count the horrible reasonings I had for "favorites" before that with Rapidash being the ONLY Pokemon I knew and thinking Corsola was invincible thanks to Misty's in the anime knowing recover. <_<)

I want to see Archen or Archeops, too, but seeing the very low amount of Gen V Pokemon (~1/10 of the list so far) I really don't see that happening in the final stretch.

Throwing in my two cents for some the final 'mons, in no particular order:

Mewtwo
Mew
Venusaur
Blastoise
Charizard
Lugia
Rayquaza

If a freaking Onix got on the list, there's no way in heck those didn't.

You all seem to be forgetting what Master Chief in Arby N The Chief referred to Ganondorf as in his Ocarina of Time review.

Even though Gen II is cited to be a fan-favorite, I've noticed that there's actually a very small amount of them that the majority of people actually like...but the ones they do like, such as Skarmory and Scizor, are extremely popular so it balances out all the Sunflora, Stantler, and Pinecos.

No.

I think he would be though if it was a Japanese poll.

No real surprises in the top 20. About the only thing that did surprise me was that Zekrom cracked the top 10, I didn't realize he was so popular (or at least popular with IGNs reader base).

Number 1 was pretty obvious, he's listed as one of the most over rated Pokemon on another thread here. No real surprise his popularity spilled over to that list.

That top 20 is so nostalgia dominant. I think only Rayquaza and Zekrom are the only non Gen 1 or Gen 2 Pokemon. >_>

*sniff* WHY? why does Charizard have to be so goddamn overrated? why?

And, seriously, I so wanna punch Audrey now ._.
No one cares if your cat ate your Lugia figurine or not -_-

And I almost smashed my monitor reading Arcanine's review:
While Pokémon Blue gamers got stuck with Mewoth, everyone with Pokémon Red got a badass dog.

Vulpix and Ninetales are the counterparts to Growlithe and Arcanine, NOT Meowth -_-

Yes! Blastoise is 3rd. :3
I wasn't expecting Zekrom to make it to the top 10, though.

Grr. I really despise ign now! Dialga is really angry now that the top 20 are fill with firs gen pokemon. And and to really add insult to injurt, they put the most overrated pokemon, mewtwo on the number one spot. GROOOOH!! I am steamed now! Those nostalgia blinded folks have really done it this time now! I should expected much from ign with their bias toward the later gens. *glares at ign with immense hatred.*

Mewtwo was easily my favorite Pokemon of the Gen 1 era. So I was somewhat pleased to see him high on the list, but it was fairly certain he would be. Still I would've liked to see a more diverse spread outside of G1 crack the top 20. I also would've liked to see Blaziken higher on the list, but it seems Gen III can be a bit polarizing.

Additionally, this is IGN, they have cultivated a bit of a reputation for not really knowing what they are talking about. They do fine enough reporting on facts and whatnot, but when it comes to pieces like this they usually fall short.

Can't spell Ignorant without IGN at the beginning.

Charizard as the best Pokemon? Wow. Gen I and II trucked the last 15 spots. I mean, the only Pokemon from Gen III and forward were all legendaries. And I can't put all the blame on IGN. I have to put a lot of hate to the IGNorant followers that IGN has accumulated.

As the old saying goes, you can't spell IGNorance without IGN.

This is what I was afraid of: 151 kids voting for 151. Oh, and the fact that charizard came up half the time was no suprise.

While there are a few good 'mons in there, I can't say I agree with the majority of that list. I do think it's a real shame that the most popular pokemon encompass such a narrow selection of creatures, especially in a franchise with such a rich and varied collection of characters and concepts.
I suppose certain archetypes are always going to be the most prevalent in any franchise you venture in to. But in a way, it still makes me feel a little downhearted. There are many, many pokemon that probably didn't have a chance in hell of getting on that list. Ones that, as an illustrator and hell, just as a fan, I've looked at and thought to myself 'man...I wish I could have come up with an idea like that'. I dunno. Maybe I just have bad taste in character design or something.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom