• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinions on IGN.com's Top 100 Pokemon List

Ninetales made the list, so that's cool.

but the Gen I bias is starting to show again.

There's obviously gonna be gen 1 bias in the voters. It's clearly the most popular generation and has been around the longest.

"There are over 650 of these critters"

There are 649. Shows how much they know.

According to Ninetales' page, Will-o-Wisp is a Ghost-type move. >_>
I wish Garchomp was higher than Salamence. :<

This would be my guess for the Top 20:

Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Arcanine
Alakazam
Gengar
Gyarados
Articuno
Zapdos
Dragonite
Mewtwo
Mew
Scizor
Entei
Suicune
Tyranitar
Lugia
Ho-Oh
Rayquaza
Zekrom

Based on metagame popularity alone (at least that of the early generations), I'd think that Tauros, Heracross and Skarmory would be among the Top 100, and then there is the fact that old-school fans also seem to favor Pinsir for its design. Their absence from the complete list is jarring, but not more so than would be the case if one of the above turned out to be missing.

Edit: Removed Snorlax for Arcanine (I hadn't noticed Snorlax had already been revealed).

Last edited:
Im personally hoping for Primeape, Emboar, Grumpig and Piloswine to make it to the top. Every time I voted over 51% of people agreed with me with all of these guys.

There is definately a huge bias going on here. That and the writers really don't know anything about pokemon and even have bias in their comments on each "winner".

I am happy that Torterra, Electabuzz, Nidoking and Braviary got a spot though.

There's obviously gonna be gen 1 bias in the voters. It's clearly the most popular generation and has been around the longest.

Its the most popular among the people who have stopped playing but most people I talk to that are still fans either love Gen 5 or Gen 2 the most.

But old-school fans also seem to favor Arcanine and Pinsir for their designs.

Arcanine has always been a firm fan favourite, so it's definately getting on here. The fact that Growlithe already got in is quite telling, I'd say.

But Pinsir is one I wouldn't expect at this point. Of the two version exclusive bugs, Sycther has always been the clear favourite, and he's already scored himself a place.

As for personal speculation? He's got stiff competition, but since he's one of the more iconic characters, I'd wager Meowth might be able to snag a spot in the top 20.

I so, so do hope Leafeon will make the list, It's the only eeveelution left. And Eevee'll definitely make the list.

Leafeon would be nice.

I hope Froslass makes it. Notice I said hope.
In my mind I understand there is no chance it will happen, but I can dream can't i?

Both Groudon and Kyogre got really good spots and I know that Rayquaza is more popular than them.

And once again, Audrey shows her already obvious bias.

Just some Pokes that stuck out to me;

#48 Pikachu. Aww.
#29 Reshiram. Wow, 5th Gen makes it to Top 30. Impressed. C'mon Zekrom!
#26 Feraligatr. W00t, my first Pokemon (fully evolved) in Top 30.
#23 Scyther. Haha, if I don't see Scizor in the next remaining 'Mons, I'll laugh.

Uh, Kingdra wasn't in R/B.

Also, what's your evidence for this accusation? That she thinks Kingdra makes more sense than Togekiss? I think Kingdra makes much more sense than Togekiss too. I don't consider myself a nostalgic.

You do realize that there's a mistake on IGN? It says Kingdra was first introduced in Red/Blue instead of Gold/Silver.

Yeah, I should've pointed that out. Audrey failed two times on that one.

I still stand by my point that Audrey is biased for early gens and some.. overrated Pokes. Only one I've seen that she likes from Gen 3+ is Lucario which was also in Smash Bros.. hype and popularity.

EDIT: Lol, seems like they fixed the error on Kingdra.

EDIT2: W00t Post 700!

:spam::banana::party::banana::spam:

Last edited:
(Crosses fingers) Come on, Qwilfish, Qwilfish, Qwilfish...

I hope Arcanine at least makes the Top 20. It seems the most likely out of my remaining favorites.

WOW. So much flaming in the comments on IGN. I especially like how they tell Audrey to piss off. And I mostly agree with them.

Some of my favorite:
Audrey needs to shut up because it is incredibly obvious she doesn't know a damn thing about the franchise. She goes off on stupid tangents in entries (why are you talking about Dragonite in Aggron's entry?). The other commentators are great because they're providing a tiny tidbit as to how the Pokemon came about, what its Dex entry says, etc. Audrey just chimes in with opinions relating only to the aesthetic that nobody gives a rat's ass about. So please, Audrey, just go away.

Jeez can Audrey not stay on topic for more than 3 sentences. She rambles on randomly at one point she reminded of kanye west "blaziken I'm happy for you and all but you were one of my least favorite pokemons of all time!!!" WTF

Audrey, every time I read your 2 cents it pisses me off more and more. I don't give a rat's ass what you personally think about the Pokemon, I want to see how they stack up to others. I read a comment by you and just get the urge to throw my computer against the wall. These Pokemon earned their spots for a reason, and I want to hear about that reason, not about how you think Nindoking needs a f*cking crown.

I'm getting really tired of reading the editors blips complaining about the placement of certain Pokemon on the list. If you don't like it SUCK IT UP. You guys chose to give US the choosing power on this list so stop complaining about the result and at least write a description that explains why...

All of your favorites are pieces of shit and I hate them - Audrey

Audrey,

Could you please stop talking shit on pokemon that made the list? If you don't like that particular pokemon (Swampert, Blaziken) can't you just pass that review on to someone else? Making this list is that pokemon's moment of glory and it's their time to shine. It's not fair that you get to shit all over them. They made this list because it's the opinion of the majority. I understand there are pokemon that we might dislike, but if possible, could you pass that review on to someone else? Let swampert and blaziken live out their 15 minutes of fame without casting doubt and hate its way.

Somebody fire Audrey she's pissing me off

Quotes AUDREY from IGN website : Lucario was actually designed by the same guy who conceived all of the original 151, and it really shows. Lucario is really, really cool, and a complete badass, which is why it’s also one of my mains in Super Smash Bros. Brawl .

Wow , I'm glad that Lucario made it to the list =D

By the way , Audrey seems to be against Blaziken :(

I do agree with the hate towards Audrey. She doesn't know what shes talking about and isn't a true Pokemon fan. I don't really like the design of Blaziken either but I recognize that it IS a good Pokemon and that it is quite popular for a reason.

Has Jigglypuff appeared on this list yet? I'd be surprised if it didn't make it.

Considering Pikachu's already been on the list, I don't think we'll be seeing Jigglypuff.

Yay for Jolteon beating Umbreon. :D Although, I have to give it a facepalm for the writer using "Jolteons" in the description.

Still holding out for Mudkip. :C Even Snivy or something at least. I just want to see if one thing makes it in the list because of a meme. xD

Geez, you could at least try to show praise and whatnot for the winners. (You know who I'm talking about)

No. One. Cares that Blaziken looks like Celine Dion. It's not like no one wanted Blazey on the list. Bi-as. :mad:

I pretty much agree with all of the hate.

Lucario was actually designed by the same guy who conceived all of the original 151
I think it's pretty obvious now there's never been one guy who made all the original 151. :0

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom