• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinions on IGN.com's Top 100 Pokemon List

I'm glad Pika didn't get in the top 20. It's not that great anyway. At least there aren't too many 151 kids.

I really REALLY hate how this article defaults to "he" for everything but only-females and Zoroark. Unless a species is only male, there's no reason to do so.

Also...Darkrai's article. "A true villain"? Only in Mystery Dungeon, which they didn't cite.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but didn't one person design ALL of the Pokemon? Sugimori? If thats true, then of course the same person who designed the first 151 designed Lucario.

Hmm. After watching The Social Network, I wonder if they shouldn't have used the Elo algorithm here too. (cf. the Facemash scene).

Or maybe they have. I wouldn't know how their algorithms work.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but didn't one person design ALL of the Pokemon? Sugimori? If thats true, then of course the same person who designed the first 151 designed Lucario.

I cant remember but I think that there were some other people,but he was always doing somthing major.

He directed the art but was never the sole Pokemon designer.

Nice to see Darkrai make it at 60. What was up with the true villain part though?

We've seen all the gen 4 starters now with Empoleon and Torterra. A little dissapointed that Torterra beat Empoleon by so much.

And we got to see the entire Cyndaquil line like I predicted. Nice to see Typlosion so high up.

We've also seen all the gen 3 and gen 2 starters now. Am I the only one who didn't have a problem with Blaziken's design?

We got Hydreigon on, which in my opinion was one of the best pokemon in gen 5.

To be honest i really wasn't sure Raichu was going to be on the list at all.

We've now seen all the eeveelutions except Leafeon. Glad to see my top 3 are at the highest spots of the eeveelution.

Looks like were gonna see Venasaur, Charizard, and Blastoise in the top 20 as well, since the other members of their lines made it in. Honestly these are the only 3 i'm concerned about now. I wanna see which makes it highest. (Rooting for you Blastoise)

Considering that we've seen Ghastly and Haunter I imagine Gengar will be in the top 20

Am I the only one suprised at Pikachu's rank and its description? This isn't a contest for the most powerful pokemon its most popular. LOL, RICH said it himself its "the only pokemon some people recognize".

I did not expect to see Nidoking on this list, but i'm happy its there.

Kind of expected Kyogre to be higher.

It looks to me that the list is beginning to be formed, and now contrary to what I would have thought, the list is not comprised of all Generation 1 and 2. Still, I would be pleased to see Gengar on the list because so far, Gastly and Haunter is there, and Gengar must be on the list!

Yeah, I don't like Audrey's comments either. I thought some criticism is nice, but when the criticism is very consistent on a Pokemon poll by the fans, it appears that she didn't even want to agree on what others choose.

Thanks for reading.

So from 100-21 we have...

Gen I - 32
Gen II - 12
Gen III - 14
Gen IV - 14
Gen V - 8

While the skewing towards Gen I is hardly a surprise, I am surprised at the snubbing Gen II is getting, I really thought they'd be almost as popular with the nostalgia drones as the Gen I monsters.

While I'm sure there'll be a few GSC monsters in the mix for the final 20 that will balance it out a bit more, at the moment it's trailing Gen III and IV for spots on the list.

Generation V's poor showing is understandable though, they haven't been around as long and I'm inclined to agree with the consensus that the quality of their design isn't up to scratch in many cases (although I don't think they're that bad). Zekrom will show up in the top 20, and maybe there'll be a long shot with one of the other legendaries or Krookodile.

While I'm sure there'll be a few GSC monsters in the mix for the final 20 that will balance it out a bit more, at the moment it's trailing Gen III and IV for spots on the list.
There should at least be six more Generation II critters (Entei is the only one I might have some doubts about if it weren't for IGN saying that Raikou was the least favorite beast).

18 is still surprisingly low, though. The lack of masculine designs is probably the reason, although I'd still expect see Heracross and Skarmory up there.

So from 100-21 we have...

Gen I - 32
Gen II - 12
Gen III - 14
Gen IV - 14
Gen V - 8

While the skewing towards Gen I is hardly a surprise, I am surprised at the snubbing Gen II is getting, I really thought they'd be almost as popular with the nostalgia drones as the Gen I monsters.

Generation V's poor showing is understandable though, they haven't been around as long and I'm inclined to agree with the consensus that the quality of their design isn't up to scratch in many cases (although I don't think they're that bad). Zekrom will show up in the top 20, and maybe there'll be a long shot with one of the other legendaries or Krookodile.

For the final 20, I think we can expect at least 5 gen 2 pokemon- Ho-Oh, Lugia, Suicune, Entei, and Scizor.

You're forgetting Tyranitar. I wonder if it is going to be higher up than Dragonite.

True. LOL, I actually forgot about Tyranitar.(Never taken the time to raise one) I've always seen Tyranitar as the 2nd gen Dragonite. It very well might be at a higher spot.

Tyranitar may be higher than Dragonite because many people think that Dragonite was kind of a let down compared to dragonair.

Mewtwo
Charizard
Blastoise
Venusaur
Tyranitar
Dragonite
Ho-oh
Lugia
Suicune
Entei
Scizor
Skarmory
Gengar
Alakazam
Mew
Arcanine
Rayquaza

Thats some of my guesses for the list in no particular order. Can't think of more though.

I don't see Zekrom anywhere, and it's way cooler than Reshiram. I think it's in the top 20.

And maybe Archeops...

If umbreon hadn't past espeon,I would have been furious.Qilava in 64?It seems that my favorite pokemon are being put at low numbers.

Rayquaza has to be in the top 20. If not, there's something wrong with the world.

It has pretty nice bunch of 'Mons from all the generations, I like it! :3
At first I was sure that this list would be full of GenI and GenII monsters only, since y know, there are those purists in this fandom too...
No one loves Jirachi? : <

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom