• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinions on the ORAS DexNav Feature?

Giles_Le_Breton

For the Lady of the Lake!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in the midst of playing O Ruby, and I gotta say, I really like the DexNav feature. I mean, when I first started the game, it felt a bit much to take in at once, but now that I've gotten used to it, it really helps with motivation to capture all the pokemon in the area. Seeing it visually laid out, and getting that gold crown is a rewarding feature! (yes I've succumbed to pavel's dog theory) But seriously I went back to play X for a bit, and NOT having that feature was really jarring, How'd I know what pokemon where in the area??! It really helps create a check list so you know that you've really scoured the area to completion, rather than having to look up online or in a walkthrough, what pokemon reside in a given area.

What do you all think of it? Think of it as a cheat? or making the game too easy?

I really love the feature, mostly for the reasons that the OP stated. And it doesn't make the game too easy; just like the Gen VI Exp. Share, it's a feature that a player could easily disregard throughout an entire playthrough. Does using it make the game considerably easier? Yes, but it's not a feature that you have to use.

Another thing I love is how it displays things like the Pokemon's held item. It makes item hunting so much easier and less frustrating.

I'm finally playing through AS for the first time, and overall I think it's a great feature. I especially like being able to find pokémon with Egg Moves through the Radar. The only real issue I have with it is that starting chains seems to be annoyingly difficult. I tried chaining for a Swablu just yesterday and all I got was wandering vaguely around hoping that the Radar would actually throw one up.

For hidden abilities, this thing is a godsend! The only thing I wish I can do is turn it off when I am not using it because whenever I'm walking, I'm hearing that thing go off to alert me of whatever Pokemon is in the grass or water. It gets really annoying after a while. Other than that, I love it and I hope they never get rid of it in later games.

Of the many features in this franchise that should become a series stable no if ands, buts or third title "upgrade" crap, this is definitely one of them. On its own, its a fantastic feature that makes the very environment feel alive as it triggers whenever a Pokemon hits the radar or when the PC passes by one of the overworld NPC Pokemon. That alone was a fantastic throwback to the anime done 50x better than that badge cleaning nonsense.

As a Breeder, this thing is a godsend! The more you run into a specific Pokemon the more likely you are gather better data on them (HA, eggs moves etc) still luck based of course, but the narrow down makes this device an essential to your efforts.

It's gonna be real hard to go back if GF decides to never bring this baby back.

It's an amazing feature. It let's you know about IVs, abilities, egg moves, and held items - what's not to love?

I've been chaining on Absols using the Dex Nav for a shiny, but I don't have a shiny Absol yet. Instead, I have a bunch of Life Orbs I got by stealing from them XD pretty neat since I don't have to buy them with Battle Points.

I love the dexnav. It makes it so easy to find hidden ability Pokemon. I'm worried though, that it might not come back. If it does, that'll mean so will the sneaking method, which might mean the removal of skates from the next Kalos game (assuming of course there is one), and somehow I don't see that happening...

But here's hoping they find a way to make it work! Cuz it's literally the best device ever introduced!

I love the dexnav. It makes it so easy to find hidden ability Pokemon. I'm worried though, that it might not come back. If it does, that'll mean so will the sneaking method, which might mean the removal of skates from the next Kalos game (assuming of course there is one), and somehow I don't see that happening...

But here's hoping they find a way to make it work! Cuz it's literally the best device ever introduced!

They might just let you turn the skates on/off, like you could turn auto-running on and off in HGSS

But yeah, I absolutely love the DexNav, as hunting for wild pokémon becomes so much more fun. The extra info is a definite plus and the egg moves allow you to try moves on a pokémon you'd otherwise not even consider (I mean, who's gonna go through the effort of breeding certain moves on certain pokémon if they're probably not that incredibly useful anyway)

And it just makes the overworld so much more interactive, like, Hoenn really feels alive

The only thing that bothers me a little (cause it's not a downside) is that it only indicates whether a pokémon has perfect IV's, not whether they're just (like, a small star for anything above 25 and a full start for perfect or something) I mean, it's not a must, but if you're simply looking for a 'mon with high but not necessarily perfect stats, it would be a lot easier (like, if you don't really do anything competitively, but still wanna beat your friends or something)

I love the dex nav. It makes competitive breeding so much easier AND MORE ENJOYFUL. It's the first time im having fun catching pokemon...

But that's not even the best part of it. The coolest part is that it makes Hoenn feel more alive than any other Poke-land. Many times, while exploring this enormous Hoenn, and a Pokemon starts moving nearby, I just sneak to it, just to use my dex nav and see what is it and what stats and info it has, and leave after that without battling. It just makes Hoenn so IMMERSIVE, like no other region.

Generally, ORAS introduced thr best features ever for me: Dex nav, Soaring, Contest Spectaculars and Super Secret Bases that become propper Gym buildings... All of those features are just the best ever imo. And I don't see them returning in future games. Especially the Dex Nav. Before, I used to think it was going to be a staple feature from now on, but then i read an interview with Shigeru Ohmori explaining he invented this feature to tie it up with Hoenn's theme of "Abundance" in nature. So the dex nav will probably stay a Hoenn exclusive.

Last edited:
It's amazing and I hope it stays.

Finding shinies, HA, IVs, rare pokemon and items in it is just a breeze. It's really helpful for finding every Pokemon in the area and very good for catching them all, in fact it gives you motivation!

The DexNav was an amazing tool, it's what drove me to catch every possible Pokémon in Hoenn and obtain platinum crowns across the region. Like what the original poster said, having everything laid out in front of you made things so much more convenient. I do hope it comes back in future installments, but likely won't as the PokéNav was Hoenn exclusive. If it does come back it'll probably be under a different name.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the Dex Nav is cool and useful but not my favorite thing. Im really bad at the sneaking thing still after almost a year of playing and mostly dont bother trying to encounter Pokemon with it. I wouldnt bother with trying to chain for shinies or high IV'd Pokemon with it, because it seems like it would be pretty tedious. Its still a nice feature and I know a lot of people like it, but its not my favorite thing.

I've been wondering for ages if the dex nav actually ups the shiny rate or if thats just an urban myth, cause I haven't managed to find one. But other that, I love it.

Easily the best feature ever added imho. I definitely agree that going back to previous games and trying to catch Pokemon is tiresome

It feels like an extension of the Pokedex's "Habitat" function. I found it quite useful in the early game, but eventually it just became useless as my dex began to fill up more. It was generally helpful because it let me know that there were still Pokemon in the area that I still had yet to catch, but otherwise I didn't find it especially helpful.

Definitely one of the best features put into a game. It feels so weird to hunt for Pokemon without it. It's a godsend for things like HA, egg moves, good IVs, and it's just plain old fun to get that little platinum crown in each area. It made catching Pokemon and completing the dex more fun and realistic. I hope they keep it, or at least make a variation of it (like a Poketch app or something), but I have a bad feeling it'll only be a Hoenn-exclusive item. But I would be so pleased if they kept it, as it really was worth the time and effort.

Was never a fan of the original RS, but ORAS was a great improvement. One of those factors was the excellent Dex Nav feature. I expect it to go missing in the next gen 6 installment, but hopefully it will be back (probably under a different name) in Gen 7

I absolutely love the Dex Nav. It is one of the best new features. I hope, however unlikely, that the Dex Nav (or equivalent) makes a return.

Honestly, the entire PokeNav interface in ORAS (DexNav, Amie, PSS, Super Training, etc.) is the best thing ever. It needs to stay!

I very much enjoy being able to find 2 and 3 star "Potential" pokemon with different Egg Moves (woo slightly less work!). The 'check list' thing is a good point, something I loved in B2 was the pokedex straight up saying you'd missed something in a route.

It was an excellent addition though I wish you could use it to search for Pokemon you don't own after seeing them in said route.

Honestly, the entire PokeNav interface in ORAS (DexNav, Amie, PSS, Super Training, etc.) is the best thing ever. It needs to stay!

For me, I preferred the set up for it in XY.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom