• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinions on the ORAS DexNav Feature?

it's a lovely feature and i especially appreciate being able to see if i've caught everything on a route, but i don't really use it all that much since it doesn't really tickle my fancy. i think overall i preferred the usage of Flowers in Kalos over the DexNav in Hoenn.

It was an excellent addition though I wish you could use it to search for Pokemon you don't own after seeing them in said route.

Honestly, the entire PokeNav interface in ORAS (DexNav, Amie, PSS, Super Training, etc.) is the best thing ever. It needs to stay!

For me, I preferred the set up for it in XY.

All ORAS did was add on to what XY had... It was everything and more.

It was an excellent addition though I wish you could use it to search for Pokemon you don't own after seeing them in said route.

Honestly, the entire PokeNav interface in ORAS (DexNav, Amie, PSS, Super Training, etc.) is the best thing ever. It needs to stay!

For me, I preferred the set up for it in XY.

All ORAS did was add on to what XY had... It was everything and more.

I thought the menu system for them on the lower screen was clunky.

Its existence fill me with joy. Its existence also fills me with frustration because I know it's never leaving Hoenn.

I wouldnt bother with trying to chain for shinies or high IV'd Pokemon with it, because it seems like it would be pretty tedious.
I actually had no idea you could use the DexNav for chaining until recently, while trying to find some egg moves and three-star 'mons.

Probably the only complaint I have with the feature is that the scanning tone to me gets irritating after a while and gives me a slight headache. If the tone was lowered just a little bit, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

So, what´s complete and has many options, is now called clunky or cluttered?

I don´t think it is clunky at all... But even if it was, it´s only cause it is content- packed,with MANY options.

I´d rather have that, than some empty lower screen. That wouldn´t be clunky at all, obviously.

It´s like saying that Lumiose, Castelia or ORAS Mauville are clunky... Well, they are big, yeah!

New Bark Town or Pallet town are not clunky or cluttered. If you know what I mean...

Last edited:

I don´t think it is clunky at all... But even if it was, it´s only cause it is content- packed,with MANY options.

I´d rather have that, than some empty lower screen. That wouldn´t be clunky at all, obviously.

It´s like saying that Lumiose, Castelia or ORAS Mauville are clunky... Well, they are big, yeah!

New Bark Town or Pallet town are not clunky or cluttered. If you know what I mean...
the short response: it's cluttered because it's trying to do three things at once (the active PokeNav feature, the inactive PokeNav features, and the touch screen menu at the bottom) and it's clunky because you can't use LR to change things and many changes often require more than one tap to make the new Nav useful. doing a lot of things isn't bad, but it's a diminishing return and doing too much can be detrimental if it isn't done as well as doing less is done (ie., more is better unless less is better).

the short response: it's cluttered because it's trying to do three things at once (the active PokeNav feature, the inactive PokeNav features, and the touch screen menu at the bottom) and it's clunky because you can't use LR to change things and many changes often require more than one tap to make the new Nav useful. doing a lot of things isn't bad, but it's a diminishing return and doing too much can be detrimental if it isn't done as well as doing less is done (ie., more is better unless less is better).

Yeah, well, I thought Lumiose was incredibly clunky and cluttered, but I would never criticize it, because being clunky and cluttered, is a side- effect of being the biggest metropolis in the Poke world... If it was New Bark town, it would be much easier to find where you are going, but it would have much less things to explore, etc.

Same here, except I honestly don´t think it is clunky or cluttered at all.

There are 3 menus: one of them has 3 sub-menus while the others don´t have sub menus. It´s quite well organized imo. The only way to improve it´s organization, is to have less stuff there. It makes sense: it includes everything XY had and doubles it. So it has to fit all those features somewhere LOL

Last edited:
I like it very much! It feels really nice to complete an area and get the stars. :) I like it, even though I don't do much with it. xD.

I like it a lot, and I hope that we get something like it on the next game.
When I found a shiny Lotad right on Route 103 I realized it might increase the odds of finding a shiny, and I'm glad this was the case, especially because you get it early in game (unlike the shiny charm or pokeradar).

I like it a lot, and I hope that we get something like it on the next game.
When I found a shiny Lotad right on Route 103 I realized it might increase the odds of finding a shiny, and I'm glad this was the case, especially because you get it early in game (unlike the shiny charm or pokeradar).

I have yet to find a shiny via the dexnav. Maybe just luck of the draw

Yeah it's trying to do a lot at once and has too many clicks to get to where you wanna go.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom