• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers ORAS Have A Lot Of Meta In Them...

BlackButterfree

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
Ok, if you haven't finished the game yet and don't want spoilers, this is not the thread for you.

Beginning in the Delta episode (or maybe earlier but I just didn't notice them) there are subtle references to alternate realities.

Zinnia, the deuteragonist of the Delta episode, is of the firm belief that if the meteor that Deoxys is going to slam into the world is teleported away, it'll crash into an alternate Hoenn where Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion do not exist due to the Ultimate Weapon of Kalos never having been created. This pretty much is a reference to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and therefore makes them part of a timeline in another version of Poké-Earth.

Maxie (in AS, at least) meets you upon arrival in the Battle Resort and remarks that in another world, maybe Team Magma were the ones who succeeded in their ancient Pokémon revival. Obviously referencing Omega Ruby and pretty much unofficially confirming that each game of a paired version is an alternate universe to the other one (or other two in the case of third versions...)

And then lastly, Wallace and the Battle Resort suggest that the original Emerald could possibly be a sort of sequel to ORAS. At the end of the Delta Episode, Steven talks about leaving soon and letting Wallace take over for him (which has happened by Emerald) and then in the Battle Resort, there's a sign that says something about a "Battle Frontier Project", which has most definitely been completed by the time Emerald has happened.

And when Wallace battles you at the bottom of the Sky Pillar, he mentions his mentor, which could either be that little old man from the Cave of Origin, or Juan. I think we all know which one I'll be thinking he was talking about in my headcanon. Where is my Juan true love? :'(

At this point, I'm kind of wondering if the next generation will focus on the multiverse theory and have a sort of smashing up of every generation up to that point. I for one would love to see all the plots, teams, leaders, PC's and such mixed up due to some legendary that can twist reality. Like a Hyper Hoopa.

I think it's probably fair that we start calling the Pokémon universe a Multiverse, possibly comparable to that used by Marvel, or DC Comics.

I'm still guessing they'll release a patch with the BF and Wallace as Champion, along with Mega Flygon and Milotic. As for timelines, I think Yellow/Crystal are on timeline, FRLG/Emerald-B2W2 is another, and the new main timeline includes XY and ORAS (Kanto and Johto remakes maybe? Origins might also be the Kanto timeline of this). Then there's smaller universes connected to each main universe for different versions, starters, choices, etc.

I'm still guessing they'll release a patch with the BF and Wallace as Champion, along with Mega Flygon and Milotic. As for timelines, I think Yellow/Crystal are on timeline, FRLG/Emerald-B2W2 is another, and the new main timeline includes XY and ORAS (Kanto and Johto remakes maybe? Origins might also be the Kanto timeline of this). Then there's smaller universes connected to each main universe for different versions, starters, choices, etc.

Since Origins is based off of FR/LG, I'd say the new timeline is:

FR/LG/OR/AS
HG/SS
X/Y

With the original Kanto, Johto and Hoenn being part of the original timeline. I have no clue about Unova and Sinnoh, honestly...

Since Origins is based off of FR/LG, I'd say the new timeline is:

FR/LG/OR/AS
HG/SS
X/Y

With the original Kanto, Johto and Hoenn being part of the original timeline. I have no clue about Unova and Sinnoh, honestly...

The only issue is, Mega Evolution is widely known in ORAS, whereas in FRLG/HGSS its non-existant. Ideally we'd get remakes, but we'll probably just get an Origins sequel. Anyways, my timeline idea a bit more clearly:

Classic Timeline:

Yellow -3 years- Crystal

Dual-Slot Timeline:

FRLG/Emerald -3 years- HGSS/Platinum -Unknown- BW -2 years- B2W2

Pokebank Timeline:

InfernoRed and SolarGreen or Origins/ORAS -3 years- SacredGold and AeroSilver or Origins sequel/Sinnoh Remakes -Unknown- Unova remakes -2 years- Second Unova remakes/XY

And just when the original timeline was screwy enough, and now ORAS brings in the possibility of
alternate universes

And just when the original timeline was screwy enough, and now ORAS brings in the possibility of
alternate universes

Well, if you really think about it, that's really always been the case in Pokemon. I mean, obviously Diamond and Pearl take place in alternate realities (one in which Galactic try to use Dialga's power and one in which they use Palkia). Though, we have the events of Platinum known as the "true timeline" or at least the one we follow to clean all of that up. But then we have all the crap in Unova, which has no true canon as it relates to the timeline.

Now just seems to be the first time they're making mention of it. And it's super intriguing.

alternate universes

Well, if you really think about it, that's really always been the case in Pokemon. I mean, obviously Diamond and Pearl take place in alternate realities (one in which Galactic try to use Dialga's power and one in which they use Palkia). Though, we have the events of Platinum known as the "true timeline" or at least the one we follow to clean all of that up. But then we have all the crap in Unova, which has no true canon as it relates to the timeline.

Now just seems to be the first time they're making mention of it. And it's super intriguing.

Actually, White/White2 seems to be the general consensus for the Unova canon, with X being the Kalos one. White because N owns Reshiram in both White versions and Reshiram is associated with truth, which N seems to pursue through his dialogue. And X because the Ultimate Weapon's original intent was to revive Floette, who ended up with Eternal Life as a result, which can only be given by Xerneas.

So the only canon version (not counting remakes) to not be fully confirmed is the Kanto one. Everything leans towards Yellow, but there's already a thread about that in the corresponding section and the argument's gotten nasty at times.

So the timeline is probably this:
Yellow
Crystal
Emerald
Platinum
White/White2
X (unless we get a Z, which is highly unlikely)

Actually, White/White2 seems to be the general consensus for the Unova canon, with X being the Kalos one. White because N owns Reshiram in both White versions and Reshiram is associated with truth, which N seems to pursue through his dialogue. And X because the Ultimate Weapon's original intent was to revive Floette, who ended up with Eternal Life as a result, which can only be given by Xerneas.

So the only canon version (not counting remakes) to not be fully confirmed is the Kanto one. Everything leans towards Yellow, but there's already a thread about that in the corresponding section and the argument's gotten nasty at times.

So the timeline is probably this:
Yellow
Crystal
Emerald
Platinum
White/White2
X (unless we get a Z, which is highly unlikely)

Well, like I said, I have no idea about Unova. I've never known N's dialogue to lean towards any particular side and it seems impossible to tell which is canon. Especially concerning things like what Unova really looks like or the stuff with Drayden and Iris. I don't know. I wouldn't say either is more canon than the other at this point.

As for X and Y, I always though Y's story made more sense because the Ultimate Weapon sucks the life force in order to power it, which Yveltal does. But, as you said in your post, AZ and Floette also have been granted Eternal Life. So, again, either could be the case. I don't think a Z is unlikely, and I hope it does come so it can bring some sort of canon to Kalos. I don't want it to be a recurring thing that we at least don't have some idea.

There have always been hints of something like this going on from at least since Gen II when the legendaries in the first two versions were different. Then came the original R/S/E games which came out with three different outcomes for Aqua, Magma, as well as the version legendaries themselves. So it's no wonder they'd chose these games to connect the dots in a way.

My personal theory on the matter:
Universe 1: Red >> Gold* >> Ruby >> Pearl* >> White/White 2* >> Y (Red games)

Universe ???: Yellow (Dead ends due to being an anime tie in.)

Universe 2: Green/Blue >> Silver* >> Sapphire >> Diamond >> Black/Black 2* >> X (Blue games)

Universe 3: Blue (Japanese) >> Crystal >> Emerald >> Platinum >> None** >> ???

Universe 1.2: Fire Red^ >> Heart Gold* >> Omega Ruby >> ??? > ???/None >> ???

Universe 2.2: Leaf Green^ >> Soul Silver* >> Alpha Sapphire >> ??? > ???/None >> ???

* = Interchangeable due to preference.
** = Unova did happen in this universe, but we the players never got to see that version.
^ = Updated in Origins

If anything, I kind of see Gen VII having one set in the original universe (except for the official discovery of primal revisions in that universe) and the second continuing the current universe.

I give up on trying to figure out a canonical timeline, the multiverse theory is the only thing we have left. Not only was it proposed several years ago on here, but now in-game characters are talking about it.

This is the multiverse theory that got posted in the in-game headcanons thread awhile back:

Please feel free to move this if it is in the wrong section.

Ever since the first pair of remakes, FireRed and LeafGreen, were released to the public, it has been believed by many that the original games are no longer considered canonical.

Others believe the reverse—that the originals override remakes any day.

But what if this isn't the case? What if all the games, originals and remakes included, are perfectly canon?

Remember that back in Generation II, Bill managed to master time travel by inventing the Time Capsule. This device allowed then-present-day trainers to trade their Pokémon to the past, and trainers from the past were able to trade to what they considered to be the future.

A generation later, in FireRed and LeafGreen, Bill introduced players to the Sevii Islands, a place not seen in Generation I. However, if the player decided not to go with Bill the first time he asked, then he waited at the Cinnabar Island Pokémon Center...and at his cottage at Cerulean Cape. At the same time.

As far as I know, if spoken to at his cottage, he remains blissfully unaware of his appointment with Celio.

Some would dismiss this as nothing more than a continuity error or programming oversight. But what if it isn't? What if the Bill at the Cinnabar Pokémon Center is actually Bill from the future, having stuffed himself into his Time Capsule and traveled back three years to introduce the Generation II and III Pokémon to the world, long before they're even discovered?

This does raise an issue, however—as the Time Capsule is not present in HeartGold and SoulSilver, had Bill traveled to the past, he would have become trapped there since neither he nor his younger self bothered to invent time travel.

Then again, if Bill were to encounter and befriend a Pokémon with power over time—such as Celebi or Dialga—he wouldn't have to invent artificial time travel in order to return to his own time. Considering that Celebi will take just about anyone who is pure of heart under its wing, this isn't unlikely. And, yes, even though he mucked around with time itself, Bill can still be considered pure of heart since he had nothing but good, scientific intentions in mind.

Using this hypothesis, it can be determined that the original games did happen—Bill just later went back and changed the timeline for the benefit of the scientific community, allowing esteemed Professors like Oak and Birch to catalogue more Pokémon in a shorter amount of time.

On an unrelated note, this also allows Bill—and possibly other characters as well—to witness alternative timelines. For example, if Leaf were born instead of Red, or if Gold had chosen Totodile instead of Cyndaquil, or if all of the protagonists and rivals had different names entirely, thus making all decisions made by the player canonical as well.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the wonderful world of paradoxes.

Yeah, call me a nerd. It's what I am.

Anyways, the timeline used to be, for me:

FR/LG/E -3 years-> Pl/Hg/Ss -2 years-> B/W -2 years-> B2/W2/X/Y

But now, uhm

ORAS(FR/LG? -3 years->Pl/Hg/Ss/B/W??) -2 years-> (B2/W2?)XY

I don't even know what to think anymore.

Hoenn and Kalos are the only regions that exist and ORAS is five years prior to XY. There. Simplified. My brain hurts. I give up!

There have always been hints of something like this going on from at least since Gen II when the legendaries in the first two versions were different. Then came the original R/S/E games which came out with three different outcomes for Aqua, Magma, as well as the version legendaries themselves. So it's no wonder they'd chose these games to connect the dots in a way.

Universe 2: Green/Blue >> Silver* >> Sapphire >> Diamond >> Black/Black 2* >> X (Blue games)

Universe 2.2: Leaf Green^ >> Soul Silver* >> Alpha Sapphire >> ??? > ???/None >> ???

** = Unova did happen in this universe, but we the players never got to see that version.
^ = Updated in Origins

If anything, I kind of see Gen VII having one set in the original universe (except for the official discovery of primal revisions in that universe) and the second continuing the current universe.

I just want to point that in all the Johto games you face Red with a team based after Yellow, where you get Pikachu and the three starters. So, G/S/C should be in the same universe as Yellow.

I just want to point that in all the Johto games you face Red with a team based after Yellow, where you get Pikachu and the three starters. So, G/S/C should be in the same universe as Yellow.

I was thinking that it might just be a coincidence in game and a shout out to Yellow out of it. It gives him a structured team while still having some well known pokemon that were the faces of the first gen + Espeon and Snorlax.

Either that or that Red was pulled into Universes 1-3 from multiple Yellow universes and that's why he's completely mute. He saw things that no boy nor man should ever see.

^ = Updated in Origins

IMO FRLG and HGSS cannot take place in the ORAS + XY timeline because in said timeline, Mega Evolution has existed for ~3000 years prior to the main games, and thus would have been mentioned in Kanto (concurrent to ORAS, in which it is known) or at least HGSS (after ORAS). It would be totally illogical for Kanto and Johto to not know about Megas considering world renowned characters like Lisia use them publicly. Here's my headcanon:

Universe 0A: Red -> Gold

Universe 0B: Blue/Green -> Silver

Universe 0' (0 Prime): Yellow -> Crystal

Universe 1A: FR/Ruby -> HG/Diamond -> Black -> B2

Universe 1B: LG/Sapphire -> SS/Pearl -> White -> W2

Universe 1': (unreleased Yellow remake)/Emerald -> (unreleased Crystal remake)/Platinum -> (unreleased Gray version) -> (unreleased Gray 2 version)

Universe 2A: Origins/OR -> (unreleased Johto update)/(unreleased Diamond remake) -> (unreleased Black remake) -> (unreleased Black 2 remake)/X

Universe 2B: Origins/AS -> (unreleased Johto update)/(unreleased Pearl remake) -> (unreleased White remake) -> (unreleased White 2 remake)/Y

Universe 2': Origins/(unreleased Emerald remake) -> (unreleased Johto update)/(unreleased Platinum remake) -> (unreleased Gray remake) -> (unreleased Gray 2 remake)/(unreleased Z version)

Posting what I posted in the other thread for my views on this

. Each version is an alternate timeline influenced by minor choices (e.g., starters you choose, legendaries that get confronted) and each timeline is governed by a more "macro-universe" that underlies the mechanics of that universe and major defining events that influenced it. I think there are three clear macro-verses:

RBGY--->GSC
Major event: Time Machine

Unlike the remakes, these games have a time machine linking them. In a meta-perspective, these are also the most glitch-ridden games and were cursed to die because of their internal battery. An in-game explanation could be that the time machine destabilized the universe--all the glitches are manifestations of this, and ultimately led to the universe's destruction (i.e., internal battery dying)

FrLg/RSE--->DPPt/HgSs--->BW->B2W2

Major events: Averted Time Machine crisis/Switched Orbs

This macro-verse is more defined on what didn't happen. In terms of the underlying mechanics of the universe, Pokemon were granted unique abilities and their genetic structure differed (reflecting the IVs). While Mega Evolution didn't happen, I think that Primal Reversion still existed, but its existence was lost to history. Of course, the only time it could have been unveiled by Aqua/Magma, they switched the orbs and the knowledge of Primal Reversion remained lost.

What I find most interesting about this macroverse is how much Kalos is affected by the loss of Mega Evolution. Presumably, Sycamore didn't become a prominent researcher, and even if he did, he wouldn't have sent the XY gang on their adventure. Lysandre wouldn't have been so influenced by his family's history, and even if he still somehow believed the world was greedy and unable to share, he would not have the means to achieve his plan. Secondly, who knows if Sycamore and Lysandre would have even met--Sycamore was Lysandre's mentor, but would he have been his mentor had he not researched Mega Evolution? If Lysandre didn't study under Sycamore, would he have made Lysandre Labs? What would that mean in terms of Kalos' technological development?

Origins/ORAS--->XY
Major event: The Ultimate Weapon

Not really much to say, since this is the current generation. While people may have originally considered Origins to be a second-tier canon, the events in it has more credibility now that we know that Mega Evolution resulted in an alternate universe. For the purpose of organizing these macro-verses, I would definitely include the events of Origins.

also the best universe in that it kills off the character derailment of FrLg/HgSs!Giovanni

----------------------

Now, I only sorted games based on what macro-verse I think they fit in, but that doesn't mean I don't think the Johto/Sinnoh/Unova events didn't happen in the third macro-verse in some form, its just that we don't have any games to place them in. Of course, for the RGBY--->GSC, I don't think the Unova events happened since my theory assumes the macro-verse collapsed on itself around the GSC-era.

^ = Updated in Origins

IMO FRLG and HGSS cannot take place in the ORAS + XY timeline because in said timeline, Mega Evolution has existed for ~3000 years prior to the main games, and thus would have been mentioned in Kanto (concurrent to ORAS, in which it is known) or at least HGSS (after ORAS). It would be totally illogical for Kanto and Johto to not know about Megas considering world renowned characters like Lisia use them publicly. Here's my headcanon:

Universe 0A: Red -> Gold

Universe 0B: Blue/Green -> Silver

Universe 0' (0 Prime): Yellow -> Crystal

Universe 1A: FR/Ruby -> HG/Diamond -> Black -> B2

Universe 1B: LG/Sapphire -> SS/Pearl -> White -> W2

Universe 1': (unreleased Yellow remake)/Emerald -> (unreleased Crystal remake)/Platinum -> (unreleased Gray version) -> (unreleased Gray 2 version)

Universe 2A: Origins/OR -> (unreleased Johto update)/(unreleased Diamond remake) -> (unreleased Black remake) -> (unreleased Black 2 remake)/X

Universe 2B: Origins/AS -> (unreleased Johto update)/(unreleased Pearl remake) -> (unreleased White remake) -> (unreleased White 2 remake)/Y

Universe 2': Origins/(unreleased Emerald remake) -> (unreleased Johto update)/(unreleased Platinum remake) -> (unreleased Gray remake) -> (unreleased Gray 2 remake)/(unreleased Z version)

Well to be fair, the real-life explanation for that is that Mega's weren't created by GameFreak at that time, so FR/LG and HG/SS couldn't have had them. Then again, no one has ever claimed that we experience everything that's currently going on in a region during the time frame of our play throughs. So they probably did exist and our characters were just never informed about them. Or they were and no one told US through in-game dialogue.

What if there's things we never imagined going on behind the scenes? Mr. Fuji using a Mega Marowak against Prof. Oak? Or Agatha killing someone who then turns into her faithful Gastly? There's the very real possibility that Mega Evolution exists in the original remakes (which is implied in Origins, which itself is based off of FR/LG rather than R/B/G/Y, and has Megazard X) but we don't ever get to experience it because Red/Leaf/Ethan/Kris/Lyra either don't know about it and never hear about it, or knew about it beforehand and so no one in-game tells them about it, thus making us not know about it. I mean think of it this way. In Kanto and Johto, we're just a regular kid who takes out the mafia and becomes Champion. Maybe they weren't considered worthy enough to know. In contrast, Brendan/May save the whole world from Groudon/Kyogre and Deoxys, while Serena/Calem save all of Kalos from Lysandre.

I for one will consider the three pairs of remakes and X/Y as the alternate Megavolution and Primaversion timeline, with my Yellow>Crystal>Emerald>Platinum>White>White2 timeline very much the original timeline without Mega-Primals.

I think you guys are overthinking it a bit :p The Outrage's timeline makes a lot of sense, and it fixes everyone's arguments about what versions, PC's, starters, etc. are canon or not, Problem solved.

I think you guys are overthinking it a bit :p The Outrage's timeline makes a lot of sense, and it fixes everyone's arguments about what versions, PC's, starters, etc. are canon or not, Problem solved.

It definitely does make a lot of sense, but there's no harm in speculation until this all gets confirmed at some point or another. LOL For all we know, Ash is the one true canon (God, I hope not...)

Gen VII to feature a new form of evolution: Meta-Evolution! We will have Meta-Charizard Plus and Meta-Charizard Minus and Meta-Pikachu.

Personally I favour there only being three universes: one with mega evolutions (XY, ORAS) and one without (RSE, DPPt, BW, BW2). Third is the unstable (glitchy) version with RGBY and GSC: it's not really necessary, but it fixes some minor inconsistencies between remakes and makes things a bit tidier. It nicely reflects the big graphical jumps as well (II to III and V to VI). If you want to take Ranger, XD or Mystery Dungeon as canon, they can be separate universes as well.

I think calling it a multiverse is unnecessary. Marvel has several universes that they work on concurrently and occasionally have them crossover. Pokemon, from what we know so far, works through universes sequentially and doesn't have them crossover (hopefully, because that would be a nightmare of a plot). It's not really multiple universes if there's only one that we're interested in at any given time.

I think people are losing their minds a bit, creating all these universes. There are plenty of games that feature choice and most of these have one 'universe'. Saying that there are 'sub-universes' for starter choice is like saying Skyrim has multiple universes for whether you joined the Stormcloaks or Imperials. Technically true in one sense of the word, but kind of missing the point.

Universes are defined by setting, not by plot or choice. There are no humans in PMD, so different universe. Unique catastrophic event + mega evolutions, so Gen VI is its own universe. On the other hand, Diamond and Pearl are not separate universes since it's simply a case of Galactic 'choosing' one legend over another.

TL;DR The concepts of canon and differing plots still exist. We don't need to create new universes just for them.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom