• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers ORAS Have A Lot Of Meta In Them...

Universes are defined by setting, not by plot or choice. There are no humans in PMD, so different universe. Unique catastrophic event + mega evolutions, so Gen VI is its own universe. On the other hand, Diamond and Pearl are not separate universes since it's simply a case of Galactic 'choosing' one legend over another.
That's how you define it; doesn't mean that's how everyone defines it. In BW, they imply different versions are alternate timelines, and given that the only major difference in Gen I boxes are starters, then starter choice would be the defining feature of that time split (and its really evident with Yellow). If starters are a dividing force in some versions, why not others?

Even in physics, there are multiple ways multiverses could theoretically exist, so I have no idea why you're trying to dictate people's head canon with your definition. Different choices in the game lead to different timelines, so its ridiculous to say that one timeline in which Magma became prominent and the other where Aqua did is the same universe because there is no way they can coexist.

Last edited:
I think calling it a multiverse is unnecessary. Marvel has several universes that they work on concurrently and occasionally have them crossover. Pokemon, from what we know so far, works through universes sequentially and doesn't have them crossover (hopefully, because that would be a nightmare of a plot). It's not really multiple universes if there's only one that we're interested in at any given time.

Didn't all of this spawn because for the first time, the game explicitly acknowledged/mentioned/theorised the existence of a different canon/universe, one without Mega Evolution? It's not really a "crossover", but whoever wrote that text in the game, knew what it would mean to long time followers of the series.

I definitely like The Outrage's Tripleverse theory, but this is far too muddy and vague for us to ever know for certain.

Well to be fair, the real-life explanation for that is that Mega's weren't created by GameFreak at that time, so FR/LG and HG/SS couldn't have had them. Then again, no one has ever claimed that we experience everything that's currently going on in a region during the time frame of our play throughs. So they probably did exist and our characters were just never informed about them. Or they were and no one told US through in-game dialogue.
That would undermine what Zinnia says in the Delta Episode. She explains that there was no mega evolution in RSE because it's a different universe (she doesn't explain it explicitly, but it is strongly implied). At the end of the day, this is ultimately just a catch-all for GF. Why weren't Fairies categorized in RSE? Different universe. Gen V Pokemon in ORAS but not RSE? Different universe.

What if there's things we never imagined going on behind the scenes? Mr. Fuji using a Mega Marowak against Prof. Oak? Or Agatha killing someone who then turns into her faithful Gastly? There's the very real possibility that Mega Evolution exists in the original remakes (which is implied in Origins, which itself is based off of FR/LG rather than R/B/G/Y, and has Megazard X) but we don't ever get to experience it because Red/Leaf/Ethan/Kris/Lyra either don't know about it and never hear about it, or knew about it beforehand and so no one in-game tells them about it, thus making us not know about it. I mean think of it this way. In Kanto and Johto, we're just a regular kid who takes out the mafia and becomes Champion. Maybe they weren't considered worthy enough to know. In contrast, Brendan/May save the whole world from Groudon/Kyogre and Deoxys, while Serena/Calem save all of Kalos from Lysandre.
But we get mega evolution after the third and fifth badges in XY and ORAS respectively. We haven't done anything remotely remarkable at this point other than stop some thugs a couple of times. Origins is a separate universe compared to FRLG and RBGY, which is why mega evolution exists. I don't think we're going to have remakes of FRLG because of this; they already have Origins to tell the story with mega evolution included.

Universes are defined by setting, not by plot or choice. There are no humans in PMD, so different universe. Unique catastrophic event + mega evolutions, so Gen VI is its own universe. On the other hand, Diamond and Pearl are not separate universes since it's simply a case of Galactic 'choosing' one legend over another.
That's how you define it; doesn't mean that's how everyone defines it. In BW, they imply different versions are alternate timelines, and given that the only major difference in Gen I boxes are starters, then starter choice would be the defining feature of that time split (and its really evident with Yellow). If starters are a dividing force in some versions, why not others?

Even in physics, there are multiple ways multiverses could theoretically exist, so I have no idea why you're trying to dictate people's head canon with your definition. Different choices in the game lead to different timelines, so its ridiculous to say that one timeline in which Magma became prominent and the other where Aqua did is the same universe because there is no way they can coexist.

There could still be 3 universes, but choices like starters and stuff are just alternate timelines, still the same 'setting'

Like @TheOutrage said above, I am also going to cite my post in the other thread and that through the war 3000 years ago, that virtually every single part of the Pokemon franchise is linked together in some way, not just the main series games, but also spin-offs and even the anime and various manga series, from what I said in that post:

You know, with all this, I think that the Pokemon franchise now has a timeline like Zelda does, except this time we have two separate timelines that co-exist together for the main series games, and that's not counting the timelines of the anime, manga, and other adaptations such as spinoffs, which may prove further splits. In other words, through the war 3000 years ago, virtually every single part of the Pokemon franchise is linked together in some way.

The timeline in which the weapon ends the war is the one we are looking at in X/Y and OR/AS, while one where the weapon never works and/or the war never happened becomes the timeline of the first five generations in which Mega Evolutions are unknown. Another timeline is that the weapon backfires and causes the near-extinction of humanity, leading to the Mystery Dungeon games, or it kills all Pokemon, leading to what one may consider our own universe or something like it. And then we have the fact that each generation we have multiple different versions, which further split the timeline up depending on which version we play and what choices we make.

To put it simply, this isn't just a timeline, this is a multiverse, an even bigger and more complex one than the Zelda timeline is, or what people thought the Zelda timeline was before the official one was revealed. To make a comparison to comic book franchises, the main timeline from the first five generations is basically like Earth 1 in the DC comics, or Earth 616 in the Marvel Comics, while the Mega timeline is Earth 2 (or Earth 1610), and so forth.

If you notice closely, the cries of Pokemon are also different, which could also hint at this being another universe, but that's another story. Personally, I want to go with something along the lines of what TheOutrage said in an earlier post about his theory, because it's very similar to my own.

When you put everything into perspective, one single event 3000 years ago essentially created everything we see today in the franchise, all games, all manga series, and even the anime among various things would not be possible without a 9 foot tall immortal man from a civilization long past.

There is a theory I have that AZ's real name is "Azoth" judging by documents in the Team Magma/Aqua Hideout in OR/AS that constantly mention the war and the Ultimate Weapon, as well as one grunt saying that the A and Z in "Project AZOTH" mean "A is the beginning and Z is the end", which is what AZ said his name meant in X/Y was that it meant "The Beginning and the End" since A and Z are the first and last letters of the Latin Alphabet, and their Greek counterparts are "Alpha" and "Omega" respectively, which in a sense, makes OR/AS a prequel to X/Y, essentially putting it at the very beginning of the Mega timeline, which puts the original R/S/E at the beginning of the main timeline. To put the timeline simply:

Main Timeline:
R/S/E -> FR/LG -> HG/SS -> D/P/Pt -> BW1 -> BW2 -> Mega-less X/Y

Main Timeline (Generational Gap):
R/B/Y -> G/S/C (and alternate versions of Gens 3-6)

Mega Timeline:
OR/AS -> Gen 1 remakes -> Gen 2 remakes -> Gen 4 remakes -> Gen 5 remakes -> X/Y -> Possibly Gen 7

And those are just the main series games, as spinoffs and the anime and manga are all on their own branches but co-relate to these timelines in one form or another, and let's not forget that there are different versions of each game, further dividing the timeline and such, especially depending on the player's choices. I can spend hours just going on about my theories on all the potential timelines and how they link to the events 3000 years ago or events in other games. Yeah, this has become a bigger subject than the Zelda timeline was just by how much can be mined from this topic alone.

Ok, if you haven't finished the game yet and don't want spoilers, this is not the thread for you.

Beginning in the Delta episode (or maybe earlier but I just didn't notice them) there are subtle references to alternate realities.

Zinnia, the deuteragonist of the Delta episode, is of the firm belief that if the meteor that Deoxys is going to slam into the world is teleported away, it'll crash into an alternate Hoenn where Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion do not exist due to the Ultimate Weapon of Kalos never having been created. This pretty much is a reference to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and therefore makes them part of a timeline in another version of Poké-Earth.

Maxie (in AS, at least) meets you upon arrival in the Battle Resort and remarks that in another world, maybe Team Magma were the ones who succeeded in their ancient Pokémon revival. Obviously referencing Omega Ruby and pretty much unofficially confirming that each game of a paired version is an alternate universe to the other one (or other two in the case of third versions...)

And then lastly, Wallace and the Battle Resort suggest that the original Emerald could possibly be a sort of sequel to ORAS. At the end of the Delta Episode, Steven talks about leaving soon and letting Wallace take over for him (which has happened by Emerald) and then in the Battle Resort, there's a sign that says something about a "Battle Frontier Project", which has most definitely been completed by the time Emerald has happened.

And when Wallace battles you at the bottom of the Sky Pillar, he mentions his mentor, which could either be that little old man from the Cave of Origin, or Juan. I think we all know which one I'll be thinking he was talking about in my headcanon. Where is my Juan true love? :'(

At this point, I'm kind of wondering if the next generation will focus on the multiverse theory and have a sort of smashing up of every generation up to that point. I for one would love to see all the plots, teams, leaders, PC's and such mixed up due to some legendary that can twist reality. Like a Hyper Hoopa.

If you beat Lisia in a contest and then compete in another Master Rank beauty contest, Wallace will compete and give you more exposition afterwards. Lisia states that Wallace taught her about Pokemon contests and that Wallace also had a mentor named Juan. This is the only place in the game where he's mentioned by name so far.

Wallace also teases you about him challenging the League and taking the Champion title for himself.

Ok, if you haven't finished the game yet and don't want spoilers, this is not the thread for you.

Beginning in the Delta episode (or maybe earlier but I just didn't notice them) there are subtle references to alternate realities.

Zinnia, the deuteragonist of the Delta episode, is of the firm belief that if the meteor that Deoxys is going to slam into the world is teleported away, it'll crash into an alternate Hoenn where Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion do not exist due to the Ultimate Weapon of Kalos never having been created. This pretty much is a reference to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and therefore makes them part of a timeline in another version of Poké-Earth.

Maxie (in AS, at least) meets you upon arrival in the Battle Resort and remarks that in another world, maybe Team Magma were the ones who succeeded in their ancient Pokémon revival. Obviously referencing Omega Ruby and pretty much unofficially confirming that each game of a paired version is an alternate universe to the other one (or other two in the case of third versions...)

And then lastly, Wallace and the Battle Resort suggest that the original Emerald could possibly be a sort of sequel to ORAS. At the end of the Delta Episode, Steven talks about leaving soon and letting Wallace take over for him (which has happened by Emerald) and then in the Battle Resort, there's a sign that says something about a "Battle Frontier Project", which has most definitely been completed by the time Emerald has happened.

And when Wallace battles you at the bottom of the Sky Pillar, he mentions his mentor, which could either be that little old man from the Cave of Origin, or Juan. I think we all know which one I'll be thinking he was talking about in my headcanon. Where is my Juan true love? :'(

At this point, I'm kind of wondering if the next generation will focus on the multiverse theory and have a sort of smashing up of every generation up to that point. I for one would love to see all the plots, teams, leaders, PC's and such mixed up due to some legendary that can twist reality. Like a Hyper Hoopa.

If you beat Lisia in a contest and then compete in another Master Rank beauty contest, Wallace will compete and give you more exposition afterwards. Lisia states that Wallace taught her about Pokemon contests and that Wallace also had a mentor named Juan. This is the only place in the game where he's mentioned by name so far.

Wallace also teases you about him challenging the League and taking the Champion title for himself.
how do I compete against lisia?

I'm not trying to dictate anything. I just see people theorising with 10+ universes and I want to provide a foil to that. I defined my definition based on what most fandoms tend to think of as 'universes'. Gamefreak are using the term themselves, so nothing's set in stone ofc, but I think we should assume the most common definition.

Multiple universes is one interpretation of the word universes, but somehow I don't think Gamefreak is going to create canonical universes for every single choice and every single starter. :p Currently, all we know is that there is one major 'branch'. I don't think it's unreasonable to conject a third universe for the glitchy games, just as ORAS takes place in a different universe to RSE. Gamefreak are unlikely to touch games by a different developer, so it's safer and tidier to head-canon in Mystery Dungeon, Ranger and Colosseum into their own universes.

People are free to theorise as they wish, but Gamefreak may someday wish to expand on this and I'm willing to bet it's not going to be so complicated. There is nothing to suggest different universes for choices and marginally different plots, so I don't think it's safe to extrapolate so. Having different games coexist is still perfectly valid.

Also, what were the hints that Black and White were different universes?

There could still be 3 universes, but choices like starters and stuff are just alternate timelines, still the same 'setting'

Yeah, that's exactly the word I was looking for. Canonisation and alternate timelines are still perfectly valid (and simpler) concepts. I think they should be favoured over extra universes, just by Occam's Razor. This is without any evidence either way of course.

Last edited:

how do I compete against lisia?

Beat all the Master Rank contests once. She'll appear in the next Master Rank you challenge.

I'm not trying to dictate anything. I just see people theorising with 10+ universes and I want to provide a foil to that. I defined my definition based on what most fandoms tend to think of as 'universes'. Gamefreak are using the term themselves, so nothing's set in stone ofc, but I think we should assume the most common definition.

Multiple universes is one interpretation of the word universes, but somehow I don't think Gamefreak is going to create canonical universes for every single choice and every single starter. :p Currently, all we know is that there is one major 'branch'. I don't think it's unreasonable to conject a third universe for the glitchy games, just as ORAS takes place in a different universe to RSE. Gamefreak are unlikely to touch games by a different developer, so it's safer and tidier to head-canon in Mystery Dungeon, Ranger and Colosseum into their own universes.

People are free to theorise as they wish, but Gamefreak may someday wish to expand on this and I'm willing to bet it's not going to be so complicated. There is nothing to suggest different universes for choices and marginally different plots, so I don't think it's safe to extrapolate so. Having different games coexist is still perfectly valid.

Also, what were the hints that Black and White were different universes?

Yeah, that's exactly the word I was looking for. Canonisation and alternate timelines are still perfectly valid (and simpler) concepts. I think they should be favoured over extra universes, just by Occam's Razor. This is without any evidence either way of course.

Ranger is canon, as it ties in directly to Diamond and Pearl through Manaphy.

XD and Colosseum are also considered canon through their connectivity with Generation 3.

The only spin-off series to not be canon is PMD. And even then, it could be canon in a world where AZ annihilated most of the world's human population with the Ultimate Weapon.

I figure this makes everything we assume "canon" and "not-canon" completely irrelevant. Any game exists in its own universe, which is why paired versions are a thing... two different paths, which lead to things like Pokemon available or whatnot. Basically, it's timeline meets anarchy, and I'm inclined to believe it.

The only spin-off series to not be canon is PMD. And even then, it could be canon in a world where AZ annihilated most of the world's human population with the Ultimate Weapon.

PMD is its own canon universe. Remember that the player became a Pokemon in all three games but was originally a human, and in the latest game, GTI, they have the freedom to travel between both worlds.

XD and Colosseum are also considered canon through their connectivity with Generation 3.

That's what I was saying? I'd argue Ranger and Colosseum have distinct enough mechanics and setting that they are in their own universe, but nonetheless still canon.

Lisia states that Wallace taught her about Pokemon contests and that Wallace also had a mentor named Juan. This is the only place in the game where he's mentioned by name so far.

I swear, if they don't add Juan into some DLC event or something I will scream.

PMD is its own canon universe. Remember that the player became a Pokemon in all three games but was originally a human, and in the latest game, GTI, they have the freedom to travel between both worlds.

Ok, so it's confirmed to be a universe apart from the main one from the games? And I never played GtI so I didn't know you could travel to the regular PokéWorld in it.

That's what I was saying? I'd argue Ranger and Colosseum have distinct enough mechanics and setting that they are in their own universe, but nonetheless still canon.

Sorry, I meant that Ranger and Colosseum are in the main universe (RSE/FRLG/DPPt/HGSS) because they directly tie in. Obviously they're canon.

Sorry, I meant that Ranger and Colosseum are in the main universe (RSE/FRLG/DPPt/HGSS) because they directly tie in. Obviously they're canon.

I haven't actually properly played the games (only back at a friend's place back in the day and I watched a bit of Chuggaaconroy's LPs). I don't suppose you could specify what you're referring to?

Posting what I posted in the other thread for my views on this

. Each version is an alternate timeline influenced by minor choices (e.g., starters you choose, legendaries that get confronted) and each timeline is governed by a more "macro-universe" that underlies the mechanics of that universe and major defining events that influenced it. I think there are three clear macro-verses:

RBGY--->GSC
Major event: Time Machine

Unlike the remakes, these games have a time machine linking them. In a meta-perspective, these are also the most glitch-ridden games and were cursed to die because of their internal battery. An in-game explanation could be that the time machine destabilized the universe--all the glitches are manifestations of this, and ultimately led to the universe's destruction (i.e., internal battery dying)

FrLg/RSE--->DPPt/HgSs--->BW->B2W2

Major events: Averted Time Machine crisis/Switched Orbs

This macro-verse is more defined on what didn't happen. In terms of the underlying mechanics of the universe, Pokemon were granted unique abilities and their genetic structure differed (reflecting the IVs). While Mega Evolution didn't happen, I think that Primal Reversion still existed, but its existence was lost to history. Of course, the only time it could have been unveiled by Aqua/Magma, they switched the orbs and the knowledge of Primal Reversion remained lost.

What I find most interesting about this macroverse is how much Kalos is affected by the loss of Mega Evolution. Presumably, Sycamore didn't become a prominent researcher, and even if he did, he wouldn't have sent the XY gang on their adventure. Lysandre wouldn't have been so influenced by his family's history, and even if he still somehow believed the world was greedy and unable to share, he would not have the means to achieve his plan. Secondly, who knows if Sycamore and Lysandre would have even met--Sycamore was Lysandre's mentor, but would he have been his mentor had he not researched Mega Evolution? If Lysandre didn't study under Sycamore, would he have made Lysandre Labs? What would that mean in terms of Kalos' technological development?

Origins/ORAS--->XY
Major event: The Ultimate Weapon

Not really much to say, since this is the current generation. While people may have originally considered Origins to be a second-tier canon, the events in it has more credibility now that we know that Mega Evolution resulted in an alternate universe. For the purpose of organizing these macro-verses, I would definitely include the events of Origins.

also the best universe in that it kills off the character derailment of FrLg/HgSs!Giovanni

----------------------

Now, I only sorted games based on what macro-verse I think they fit in, but that doesn't mean I don't think the Johto/Sinnoh/Unova events didn't happen in the third macro-verse in some form, its just that we don't have any games to place them in. Of course, for the RGBY--->GSC, I don't think the Unova events happened since my theory assumes the macro-verse collapsed on itself around the GSC-era.

This, but I believe that ONLY Kanto and Johto happened in the first one, simply because the only 251 Pokemon ever used or discovered were them, and if FR/LG can possess Hoenn Pokemon and HG/SS can possess Sinnoh Pokemon, that the other regions probably didn't have unique Pokemon.

I haven't actually properly played the games (only back at a friend's place back in the day and I watched a bit of Chuggaaconroy's LPs). I don't suppose you could specify what you're referring to?

The same reasons I stated above. Ranger's connectivity with Generation 4 through the fact that it's the only game where you can get a Manaphy egg sent to your main game. And then Colosseum and XD (respectively) apparently take place concurrently with Hoenn and Sinnoh in the main universe's timeline, not to mention Colosseum has connectivity with RSE/FRLG. That hints to them being part of the same continuity.

Ok, so it's confirmed to be a universe apart from the main one from the games? And I never played GtI so I didn't know you could travel to the regular PokéWorld in it.

Well, yeah. I would have thought that was more or less obvious what with it being a world of talking Pokemon and calamities and all that jazz~

My head canon was that it was just off in some remote corner of the world where Pokémon had evolved to become more like humans. After all, Pokémon already speak. We just don't understand them.

My head canon was that it was just off in some remote corner of the world where Pokémon had evolved to become more like humans. After all, Pokémon already speak. We just don't understand them.

I wouldn't say they're that much more like humans. Pokemon are already intelligent beings, so it's not that hard to believe, really that they could run a town or something as they've shown similar behaviors in the Anime. The only thing is that they talk. Even in the Pokemon World we know, Pokemon know that they can't really talk unless through telepathy, or they're Meowth. But it is pretty much confirmed that it is a separate world they normally refer to as "The World of Pokemon" that's apart from the world with humans and Pokemon. Strangely enough, the Pokemon in that world know what humans are despite there not being any in that world.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom