• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

ORAS Trainer Travelog

Went into the E4 with 5 of my Pokemon at level 45 and 1 at 46. And OMG was that terrifying. I don't think I've ever been so scared about actually losing at battle in a long time.

First we had Sidney, who was pretty easy for the most part. Mightyena was actually a challenge with Swagger and Sucker Punch. It nearly knocked out my Aggron. Absol was the next problem. Super Luck+Night Slash=Almost 2 hit KO on my Torkoal. He only survived by Amie letting him tough out the second hit. Then Aerial Ace destroyed my Breloom. Also speaking of my Breloom; her Poision Heal activated for the first time in this battle thanks to Sharpedo's Poison Fang. Anyway, despite that Sidney wasn't that bad.

Pheobe was much more of a challenge than I expected. Her damn Banette were so annoying. One Grudged my Sabelye's Foul Play, and the other burned by Swampert and nearly defeated him with repeated Shadow Balls. After her Sableye destroyed mine with Foul Play, it proceeded to Power Gem my Torkoal to death. I revived my Sableye to battle Dusknoir and after it Hexed him 3 times and was on the verge of death, I switched into my Swellow to take the ineffective hit. And it used THUNDERPUNCH AND paralyzed Swellow. I had to switch out again to my Swampert to kill this thing.

Glacia...another hard-ass battle. Torkoal took out the first Glalie no problem. Then her Froslass started destroying me with Blizzards. I think I lost Sableye and Swampert to just one of them; Sableye who Froze and didn't even get to attack. Then the other one almost knocked out my Aggron since his strongest moves have horrid accuracy and kept missing.(Probably also combined with Snow Cloak, which I forgot Froslass had. I thought it had levitate and because of that I actually avoided using Earthquake with Swampert.) After reviving my fainted mons, I had to go through both of them again to defeat Walrein. I also forgot that she still had another Glalie after all of that. (I mean, I knew she had 2, but I forgot that I hadn't taken it out yet)

Drake, oddly enough, was okay actually. Altaria used Cotton Gaurd, so I had to MEvolve Swampert just to have a chance of doing any damage with Rock Slide. Luckily I got a crit. Kindra was a real problem. I tried to paralyze it twice with Stun Spore...AND MISSED BOTH TIMES. Meanwhile he used Yawn and put my Breloom to sleep. Then Ice Beam nearly knocked her out. She had 3 HP left. I had to send something else to take another hit while I healed her to get off a Wake-Up Slap. Next Ice Beam straight up killed her. Then I think Swellow finished Kindra off. All Salamence did was Crunch my Aggron, which wouldn't have been as bad if I hadn't missed 2 Head Smashes. But overall, it was fine.

Steven. My. Gosh. Steven. Again, I've never been so scared during a battle in all my life as I was in this one. I actually had a plan. Throughout the entire game, I kept Rapid Spin on my Torkoal just for his Skarmory's Spikes. It payed off. Then his Aggron missed 3 Stone Edges on my Torkoal. I switched to my Aggron. 1st mistake. His Aggron was faster than mine so Earthquake destroyed me. I had to have Breloom knock it out. Next came the nightmare I was worried about from the start. Cradily. She one shotted my Torkoal, Sableye, and Breloom. I had to use so many revives during this time. Aggron was the only one who could survive. Cradily confused him and nearly killed him. Had to switch out to Swellow who was also destroyed to heal Aggron. Next turn he finally took her out. Mega'd Swampert to take out Claydol and Armaldo (Seriously, if I hadn't Mega'd and gotten the boosted defense, he definitely would have fainted). Finally came Metagross. I sent out Aggron who toughed out a Bullet Punch thanks to Amie. I healed him just so I could revive the rest of my team literally as fodder just in case Swampert fainted. Sent out Swampert. Metagross used Giga Impact. Swampert barely survives with like 18 HP. 2 Earthquakes win me the battle.

So here's my final team.

Swampert(Phineas cuz he has fins)-Phineas honestly was kinda unreliable. I dunno why, but I just remember him fainting a lot as a Mudkip and Marshtomp. He pulled through towards the end though.
Swellow(Swallow cuz Swallow Pokemon)-Swallow was a good team player. She was like the equivalent of my Mightyena in OR, I could always count on her in tight spots. (Until the opponents got better moves and she'd faint to almost everything:) She has Boomburst from DexNav.
Breloom(Toadette cuz female mushroom creature)-Toadette has a really special place in my heart. The amount of times she's toughed it out in battles with Amie is unbelievable. There was once double battle where it activated 3 TIMES! She has Wake Up Slap from DexNav
Sableye(Gemini cuz "gem in eye" )-Gemini was kinda the weak link of the team. He didn't do well in the first 2 Gym Battles I used him in. He finally started doing well in major battles starting with Winonna. All I wanted from him was Prankster. Got that plus Flatter:)
Aggron(Ironore cuz he eats iron ore)-Took me probably over 10 hours to catch this guy. I wanted a Head Smash Aron with Rock Head. I thought I'd never find him and when I did was so so happy. I thought to myself "he's the gender I want, he's got the move I want, he's got the ability I want, he must have a crap nature." And he does. Mild. And I literally didn't care. I looked for him for HOURS, I was not about to start a search for another one with a better nature.
Torkoal(Sheldon cuz he has a shell)-I was DexNav'd out from looking for Ironore. I didn't care much about what Torkoal had. First male I found had Eruption:) Sheldon integrated the fasted into my team. An hour after catching him he was defeating Archie's Sharpedo.

Gonna start the Delta Episode later. Not too excited for it since I hate Zinnia:/

Been running into bad luck again with breeding so I decided to go treasure hunting. I got TMs for Payback and Flash Cannon and all the Arceus plates. Might go hunt for more TMs if my luck continues to be cartoonishly bad. Hoping for that Poison Jab TM tomorrow.

Made my way up Mt. Pyre today and encountered Maxie stealing the Red Orb. Also caught my final team member, Vulpix, making my final team Sceptile, Gardevoir, Hariyama, Gyarados, Skarmory, and eventually Ninetails. :)

Last night I was able to start the Delta Episode. [Possible SPOILERS] I made it all the way to the start of Sky Pillar. I look forward to tonight when I hear of more lore from Zinnia and attempt to catch Rayquaza and Deoxys!

Edit:
I finally beat the Delta Episode. Rayquaza was ridiculously easy to catch, I got it down to low HP and caught it with the first Ultra Ball I threw. I was a bit disappointed at how easy it was. I used my Master Ball on Deoxys immediately after that awesome cutscene. Now I get to go around trying to complete my Pokedex!

Last edited:
Made it to Mosdeep City today and did some extra training on the route above before the gym. Then took on the gym and easily beat Tate and Liza (love their re-designs!).

Next I shall be going deep sea diving! Yay! :D

Caught Azelf, and that little bugger is stronger than it looks. It took out half my team even though it's eleven levels beneath them.
On an unrelated note, I really love how soaring is different at night, right down to the more subdued music.

Caught Groudon with the first Ultra Ball (very anti-climatic xD) and saved Hoenn from the insufferable heat.

Now, onto Wallace! :D My Ninetails, Nitro, is quickly catching up with the rest of the team.

Edit: Swept Wallace easily with Sceptile, and am now doing some training for the Pokemon League on some of the water routes.

Last edited:
More legendaries, this time Landorus and Uxie. I was able to get the former to appear without Alpha Sapphire by transferring my Thundurus over from Y. Landorus took six Ultra Balls, while Uxie took 37. Yeah, now I'm about out of Ultra Balls lol.

So I challenged WAHAHAHAHAHAWattson today. At first, the battle was full of curb-stomping: Pikachu took down his Magnemite with several Rock Smashes while Nuzleaf felled his Voltorb with a Growth-Razor Leaf combo.

And all the while Wattson was laughing. And I was like right, so I send in Metang to finish off his last Pokemon, which happened to be Magneton. Then everything changed. Suddenly Watson decided "Let's Get Dangerous" and proceeded to increase his difficulty. Metang couldn't escape the battle due to Magnet Pull (which I didn't know if his Magenton would have or not) and was confused due to Supersonic. Poor Metang barely executed moves due to confusion and repeated Volt Switches. And like that, Metang was knocked out (of its very first Gym Battle too...). So I sent in Nuzleaf to do damage control with its Dark type moves, but once again confusion hax. Anticipating another Volt Switch, I switched Nuzleaf for Pikachu who absorbed Volt Switch and returned the favor with a Lightningrod powered Electro Ball to the face. However, it wasn't enough and Magneton successfully used Supersonic again. Ultimately I just ended up switching Pikachu and Nuzleaf to avoid confusion and do passive damage until Pikachu finally knocked out the Magnet Pokemon with Rock Smash.

And with that, I got the Dynamo Badge~

Trained the entire team up to levels 50-52 and will be taking on Victory Road and the Pokemon League tomorrow.

Picked up the Contrary Serperior, and then caught Ho-oh, Palkia, and Reshiram respectively.

Been going through the battle maison and unlocking the other battles. Just beat the multi battles with Archie. Mega Sceptile's lightning rod finally came in handy since both of his guys are weak to electric.

Been slowly filling up my National Dex since my last post. I've also picked up the Mirage Spot legendaries and traded off the ones I didn't need for version exclusive legends. I'm probably not going to complete it unlike on X (which I did back in November), but for now I'm aiming for completing the Kanto, Johto and Kalos Dexes. I also completed the Hoenn Dex last month.

Oh, and I also battled the Elite Four's rematch teams. I'm gonna be honest here, Steven's new team was by far the most disappointing - Jasmine had an Empoleon on hers in HGSS, there's no reason why GameFreak couldn't have given him one too, just to name a mon he could've benefited from.

Last edited:
Started yesterday with Mudkip. So my rules are as follows:

- No Exp. Share. Great to level mons in the post-game, horrible for the main story since it removes most of the challenge.
- Playing on Set. Why does Shift exists?
- No healing items during battles
- No Pokemon Amie. Love this feature, but its bonuses are way too good for the main story.
- No Mega Evolution unless the opponent has one.
- I can only catch the first mon that appears in each area. If it is one i already i have, i can try again.

Got to Granite Cave. My current team is: Mudkip, Poochyena, Wingull, Whismur and Nincada.

I'm gonna be honest here, Steven's new team was by far the most disappointing - Jasmine had an Empoleon on hers in HGSS, there's no reason why GameFreak couldn't have given him one too, just to name a mon he could've benefited from.

Given Steven's hobbies, Carbink fits him too well - he's obsessed with rare stones and gems, and Carbink looks like one he'd definitely pick up in a cave. I do wish they gave him something else other than Aerodactyl though... Empoleon would have been a nice choice, of course, and maybe an Omastar if they really needed to give him a fossil pokemon - there are pictures of Omanytes in Devon Corp anyways.

Anyways, I went on Battle of Hoenn and won a couple of matches. I love playing where I don't have to battle a single Talonflame or Kangaskhan.

On OR, I'm now heading toward Lavaridge. I've got a nice big rotation team going, consisting of:
Grovyle (Kain)
Gallade (Galahad)
Donphan (Hathi)
Golbat (Vincent)
Manectric (Bolt)
Mawile (Mandi)
Surskit (Bubbles)
Vigoroth
Hariyama
Swellow (Amelia)
Koffing (Cho-king)

All around 21-27 ish

That's basically it as of now. Not sure how my final team will turn out, just kinda messing around right now. Since I've got the exp. share on, it's pretty easy to use whatever I want. Vigoroth is basically an HM user, but still a pretty viable team member. Not evolving Surskit, and it's been doing pretty well. It's just gonna be my Water type until I inevitably replace it, probably with Sharpedo, later on. Evolved my Kirlia into Gallade using the Dawn Stone I traded over from AS. My little Phanpy from the egg in the beginning of my OR journey evolved, which was pretty cool. I totally forgot its evolution level, I thought it was a bit later for some reason. Been doing pretty well with Golbat, I think it'll evolve soon, from its friendship. I'm pretty certain that both Hariyama and Swellow won't be on my final team, I just kinda like having them around. Koffing was a random addition lol.

Overall, going decently. Been a slow journey, since I've been so busy lately. Plus, there have been other games higher on my list most days. I don't feel quite as attached to this journey with this team, like I was with AS, though that was expected.

Still been playing AS some. My national pokedex is around 550 or so I think? I might check later and edit this. I've caught most of the post-game legendaries, for AS. Got a Master Rank in all 5 contests and beat Lisia. Beat the Pokemon League rematch with one Pokemon alone (My Lv. 100 Swampert from my original Sapphire, for nostalgia and epicness).

As of late, I've been growing more of my rare Berries--Enigma, Starf, Petaya and the like--so I can turn those into some killer Pokeblocks. I want to go ahead and take on the Contests again so I can get 15 pictures up in the museum and get that glass statue. I'm not sure who I'll use for the Beauty contests but I'm thinking I might use a shiny Milotic that I sent over from my copy Pearl. For the Cute contests, I have a whole horde of Golett who can stomp the crap out of that. Because hey, what can possibly be cuter than a Golett? XD

And last night as I was dashing around, trying to fight trainers and get some extra cash via the Money Power MAX, the game decided to be really nice to me. As I was running to fight Gentleman Walter on Route 121, I ran into a Shuppet. I couldn't help but notice that it looked a little odd.... and then it freaking sparkled.

O HAI THERE, Mr. random encounter shiny Shuppet! Say hello to my nice Dusk Ball! Hope you guys get along really well together!

Yep, you read that right: my copy of OR just gave me a free shiny. The little guy has Insomnia and a neutral Nature; I've already snagged the Banettite from Mt. Pyre and hope to get the little cutie his Mega form very soon. In the interim, I'm also training a Kangaskhan and a Froakie for use in the Battle Maison; I hope to have them eventually sweep the Super Singles and help my Riser earn Ribbon number 24. But that will be after I take on the Delta Episode proper.

My Latios won the Cleverness Contests with a set of Psychic, Roost, Shadow Ball, and Toxic. Now, the only contests left are the Cuteness Contests, and I've got a Skitty for that.

Well just got enough BP to get 2 ability capsules to fix up some poor ability inheritances. Not sure what I'm gonna do now. I might start hunting for legendaries.

Back
Top Bottom