• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Orchid's Ordinary Backyard (pokémon headcanons and other things)

Introduction

Orchid

~♡~
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
❦ Welcome to... the backyard! ❦

As the title says, this is where I'll be putting my headcanons and any other theories/analyses I may have about the Pokémon world. (Your mileage may vary as to how plausible they are.)
The stuff you'll find here will most likely be related to the anime and its characters, but there'll be some posts related to the games, the locations, and the Pokémon themselves as well.
I might talk about shipping stuff too, so you've been warned...

(any empty/unlinked spots are those I would like to write about in the future)

Characters
Ash: [1]
Misty: [1] [2]
Gary: [1]
Tokio: [1]

Locations
Weather in the Kanto region

Pokémon
-

Misc.
-

❦ Requests are currently... open!
You're welcome to ask about anything you want to hear about.

❗Beware of potential Journeys spoilers ahead!❗

This post will be updated periodically.
Thanks!
˚₊· ♡ ˚₊·
Ani151OD.png

Last edited:

Rockapheller

A Pokémon Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoy your writing! I have had the same idea of opening a blog thread where I just randomly mention interesting Pokémon related things, including head-canons, periodically.
Will be following this one. Good luck!

Torchic W. Pip

Beautiful and Proud
Reaction score
Pronouns
they/she/he
Immediately starts watching this thread

I can’t wait to see your headcanons

takoyaki

↑avatar by Blanc♡
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
watched!

Yay, I can't wait to see your headcanons~!!!

Hawthorn

*eats a berry*
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
Watching this one like a hawk :bulbaLove:

I'm already constantly clamoring to get more headcanons out of you, so I'm very excited to see all of them and your thoughts. . . and to bother you with questions about them! >=3

Orchid

~♡~
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
  • Staff
you guys are all too nice :bulbaLove:

Uhh I don't know how else to start this, so here's some that I've thought about for a while...

Climates and common weather conditions for the towns/cities of the Kanto region:
  • Pallet Town has very hot summers and somewhat brisk winters. The town and the surrounding area are prone to heavy rainfall, and lots of sudden thunderstorms in the warmer months due to the humidity. This also means it cools down a lot at night.
  • Viridian City is similar, but less extreme when it comes to heat and rain. It occasionally gets cold snaps or even snow flurries due to being directly west of Mt. Silver - Pallet Town gets these too, but they're more uncommon and usually of a lesser degree.
  • Pewter City, in contrast to the humid places surrounding it, is extremely dry and gets a ton of sunshine, similarly to its real-world counterpart in the city of Maebashi (see here).
  • Cerulean City gets a lot of sun as well, but also above average amounts of rain. Colder on average, due to being further north; but never anything too unpleasant.
  • Vermilion City is warm but very mild, and often has crisp, breezy, spring-like temperatures regardless of season; mostly due to being situated on the water and having lots of greenery. Unfortunately, it can sometimes have long spells of cloudy weather.
  • Lavender Town is often overcast and always eerily cold. Somewhat damp in the summer, but bitterly dry in the winter. It's more prone to snowfall than other areas of the region, and the air quality is below average here due to the nearby Power Plant.
  • Celadon City is similar to Vermilion City; fairly warm, but extreme temperatures or odd weather events don't really happen here. The air is very clean thanks to the abundance of trees and other plants to be found.
  • Saffron City is much the same, however it is a little hotter overall than its eastern neighbor Celadon, accompanied by colder nights and drier winters more like its western neighbor Lavender.
  • Fuchsia City is very cloudy and gets the heaviest amounts of rainfall throughout the year, just beating out Pallet and Cerulean. Pretty average temperatures, though it gets a little chilly on windier days as it's located near the Seafoam Islands.
  • Cinnabar Island used to be of a nearly tropical climate, but after the volcano's eruption it's now the coldest place on average in the entire region. The air quality is still very poor, but has only been getting better with time.
Surrounding routes generally have similar conditions to the cities they're connected to.

And just a few mundane things about Misty:
  • Her Staryu is a Pokémon that initially belonged to her parents, and it's actually older than she is.
    • I might get into this in more detail at a later point, but I've had this sort of theory for a while that the lifespans of Pokémon vary based on size, biology, type, and other factors. Therefore, certain species of Pokémon have much longer lifespans than others, and the Staryu line is one of them.
    • Also, I don't subscribe to everything mentioned in the Pocket Monsters: The Animation books, since their canon status could be questioned... but one of the things I do accept as canon from them is the reasoning for her and her sisters' parents being absent.
  • Her all-time least favorite, most despised color is purple.
    • This one only got into my mind because of the bit in EP012 where she gets furious about Meowth threatening to dye her hair purple. It's 100% a dub line, of course, but I do think it's a funny explanation for why she almost never uses her Starmie...
    • I also think that, had they interacted more in the original series, her and Gary just wouldn't have gotten along - maybe in part because she didn't care for his fashion sense. :wynaut:
  • I do have much more to say about her but it's late, I've been writing for ages, and I want to save some of it for other posts LOL

Torchic W. Pip

Beautiful and Proud
Reaction score
Pronouns
they/she/he
Climate and Misty headcanons let's gooooooo

Climate/world stuff is really interesting (Also I have an... interesting relationship with Pocket Monsters: The Animation. A lot of the stuff in it contradicts other media and especially the anime, but from an angst writing perspective... :enzap:

Orchid

~♡~
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
  • Staff
Also I have an... interesting relationship with Pocket Monsters: The Animation. A lot of the stuff in it contradicts other media and especially the anime, but from an angst writing perspective... :enzap:
HA I understand. For the most part I just think of it as an alternate timeline sort of thing — but the pieces from it that aren't contradicted by something else can have very very interesting potential. Nothing here is canon (except for the angsty parts that I like).

...In that sense, it's kind of like the Newspaper Strip to me... just on the total opposite end of the same thing. Nothing here is canon (except for the ridiculous parts that I think are funny).

Torchic W. Pip

Beautiful and Proud
Reaction score
Pronouns
they/she/he
Nothing here is canon (except for the angsty parts that I like).
The best mindset for interpreting Pokémon canon imo
...In that sense, it's kind of like the Newspaper Strip to me... just on the total opposite end of the same thing. Nothing here is canon (except for the ridiculous parts that I think are funny).
Oh my goodness the Newspaper Strip. A classic of obscure Pokémon media.

2. New

Orchid

~♡~
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
I haven't forgotten about this place, I've just been thinking intently about what I want to say.
(To be honest, every time I try to write here I get distracted by my own thoughts and go to write fanfic instead. It's a struggle. xP But I'll try to be more active around here soon.)

Anyway, here's a handful of headcanons - with a touch of character analysis - for a handful of anime characters. I guess I would describe the element that connects these as "things that are probably pretty personal to them, but are intrinsic to them as a person." So they'll obviously be a little more serious than my last ones lol.

Some recent JN spoilers beware.
(Also a very mild TW for nondescript mentions of: implied transphobia; illness; and possibly implied death. Just to be safe!)

• Ash and Misty are, respectively, a trans boy and a trans girl. Hence why Misty's name doesn't match the same floral convention as her sisters; she chose it because of her love for the Water type, and the urge to distance herself from her family. (Ash picked his name because it sounded cool.)
    • Delia, of course, loves and accepts her son - but unfortunately the bullying Misty already faced from her sisters didn't change when she did.
      • Direct quote from Lily in The Water Flowers of Cerulean City: "There are only three Sensational Sisters, and one runt."
    • Part of the reason why she decided to follow Ash after leaving home was because she knew they had that in common, and wouldn't risk being judged by him.
    • Naturally, they're each other's biggest supporter :)

• Tokio has a natural predisposition to illness, sometimes pretty sudden - this was what brought on the fever that caused him to break his promise to Gou.
    • As a result, the Pokémon he's trained were actually specifically chosen by him to help him manage that:
      • Bayleef: "A spicy aroma emanates from around its neck. The aroma acts as a stimulant to restore health." (Silver dex entry)
      • Gardevoir: "It will try to guard its trusted Trainer with its life. It has the ability to see the future." (DP dex entry)
      • Indeedee (): "They diligently serve people and Pokémon so they can gather feelings of gratitude. The females are particularly good at babysitting." (Shield dex entry)
    • Between this fact, and his aforementioned broken promise to meet again, his kind and somewhat passive disposition stems from a general mindset of "tell your friends you love them - you don't know if it'll be the last time you see them".

• Gary blamed himself far too harshly for his loss in the Indigo League Conference, and it gave him a sense of perfectionism he's still trying to fully recover from.
    The following are the events from the canon that lead me to that conclusion:
    • After going back home at the end of the Orange Islands arc, he claimed that since then, he had gotten "better, but not good enough".
    • Later, when entering the Silver Conference, he said that this conference meant a lot to him, saying that it was first place for him or nothing. As such, when he got eliminated from the tournament, he went ahead and told everyone that he was becoming a Pokémon researcher, so he was never going to enter a competition ever again.
      • (And speaking of the Silver Conference, I have to mention the long, foreshadowing monologue he gave under the full moon in A Claim to Flame!, talking about how just one thing being different could have changed the paths that him and Ash were on...)
    • But soon after this, in Chronicles, he expressed doubt about ever becoming a researcher in the first place - claiming he only ever did it because he wanted to "be the best" and make his grandpa proud of him. Hearing what Ash had been up to in Hoenn, he wondered if maybe he should have just stayed a Trainer, and never changed his path at all.
  • In short, I always interpreted this entire sequence of events to mean Gary had made a decision before the Silver Conference that if he didn't come out of it the winner, he was going to retire - basically accepting nothing less than perfection after his previous loss, and if he failed, he'd simply give up and take after his family profession (perhaps there was some pressure on him to do so early on).
    As of Journeys, he's come a long way since then; but deep down, he still sometimes feels regret about the decision.
    • In JN102, he said the following: "Sometimes, kindness can be a cruelty. Accepting someone who isn't ready, allowing them hopes and dreams, and forcing them beyond their means can lead to the worst possible outcome."
      • Obviously, this was supposed to be directed at Gou... but I can't help but think he was speaking from personal experience here, how he'd had his dreams crushed early on and had to learn how to cope with the aftermath.
      • (and just as a side note, how on earth are they gonna phrase this in the dub??!)
  • At the very least, this mindset of perfectionism still drives him forward to this day.
    To repeat the recent quote of his from my signature: "Even if the path turns out to be a dead end, I'm gonna keep on keepin' on." Despite this strict attitude, he's aware he can always move on from (what he might perceive as) failure. This was reinforced by how he'd apparently taken Tsurugi's death threats advice to heart in JN113.
    • And arguably, it's made him a better Trainer than ever, because that same attitude has led to him being a huge overachiever in Project Mew (outperforming everyone else and being way ahead of every other challenger in token count, right to the very end).
    • ...But seriously, that's not really a good thing. He needs to learn to relax once in a while...
      • (and if Project Mew really does turn out to be a front for an evil scheme, uh... somebody keep an eye on him?)
I didn't mean for this last one to become an essay but would you really expect anything less of me LOL

Please ignore how I mix dub and sub names at random, it's a problem of mine that I refuse to fix >_>