• ME encounters a spooky skeletal dragon. Watch here as he shouts physics at it, in the hopes of preventing it from KOing itself.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Originals or Remakes?

Reaction score
I note a lot of people cite the lack of bugs in FR/LG as reasons for liking them better than R/B/Y. I've gotta admit, I like that R/B/Y were buggy. It made things interesting :'D

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score
It wasn't a bug. It was the fact that all three of the Ghosts in the R/B/Y series were also Poison types, which made that type effectiveness cancel itself out.

Thankfully, they fixed this in Gen. 2 from what I remember. I'll find out soon enough as I'm almost "done" with the color series. (And once I buy a new battery...)
No, they didn't fix that. The Ghastly line is still weak to psychic. What they did change was that in Gen I, Psychics were immune to Ghost Types.

Shaking my head
Reaction score
Remakes>>>Originals

I note a lot of people cite the lack of bugs in FR/LG as reasons for liking them better than R/B/Y. I've gotta admit, I like that R/B/Y were buggy. It made things interesting :'D
Indeed.

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score
I can't understand why people like the bugs. It made the games almost unplayable for me. I never did finish the Blu version that I borrowed. I never intend to either.

CottonSheepFairy
Reaction score
RBY over FrLg, because it was fun to expose the bugs and walk through them.
HgSs over GSC, because they did Kanto justice this time.

the future is not written
Reaction score
Both. I'm working on Silver and SS right now.

Reaction score
I'm going with remakes. Especially the ones like HG/SS that capture the nostalgia that the originals had. I live for the "Oh I remember doing this, or messing up that, etc."

Prince of the Red Book
Reaction score
Both. Really, it just depends on what mood I'm in.

So Fabulous~
Reaction score
Personally, I like the remakes more, simply because of the fact that I can catch more Pokemon in them.

I will always like Pokemon Gold the most because of nostalgia, however.

Take me for the walk
Reaction score
Remakes. The remakes are much newer so I prefer them.

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Reaction score
For the Gen I games and their remakes, I actually prefer the originals. Sometimes the remakes felt kind of watered down compared to the originals, which is understandable since there were big controversies in the olden days about the Pokemon Tower and the Gamblers, but it's still a big thing for me.

I'd say GSC and HGSS are about equal, but Crystal was fucking epic and the new music can never compare... well, except for the Champion theme, which is awesome for both generations of Jouto.

Want them in PokeMart?
Reaction score
I play SoulSilver for Johto, as for Kanto, I don't even play FireRed anymore, because of the physical/special split.

So you want to be a hero?
Reaction score
Remakes all the way. Both hgss and frlg were huge improvements over the originals.

bite bite bite
Reaction score
I'm going through FR again now. Definetly more enjoyable than the original.

HGSS, though this and the originals are my least favourite, is also more enjoyable than GSC.

So yeah. Remakes>Originals.

Reaction score
I prefer the originals, not only out of nostalgia but also because I like 8-bit games. I could say the same for my preference for NES games over newer gen games.

8-bit's got that charm to it.

Reaction score
Depends on the generation, FR and LG were WAY better than red and blue, but HGSS will never touch the pure nostalgia of G/S/C. Those games were just too revolutionary.

Something for nothing
Reaction score
Remakes as they give you the nostalgia of the older games but make it better with new content and features.