• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Originals or Remakes?

In terms of gen I, fr/lg is a lot better than red. its less annoying, but a little more challenging. but i will always keep the music from the old games dear to my heart. G/S/C? well, they were pretty damn nostalgic, and thats what made SS way more enjoyable for me- it had graphics and new features, but they remembered to capture the nostalgia.

Why did they make the remakes? To make the originals better. 'Nuff said.

Why did they make the remakes? To make the originals better. 'Nuff said.

Watch some of the remake movies they've been releasing and then watch their originals. Night and day, with the originals being better than the remakes for some of them.

The REAL answer as to why they make remakes is to introduce a new generation of people to an older product. This also appies in Pokemon video games, as the original games were so old that none of the current generation gamers out there could play them without investing in older technology. Older tech that is slowly going up in price due to the collector's market.

So the only way to reintroduce the original franchise games was to remake them.

I've never played FR/LG, but I'd probably enjoy both equally. I don't mind old graphics, bugs, and sound.

For Gen II, it's a tough one, but I have to say I prefer the originals. I really loved HG/SS, having your pokemon out, and the Pokewalker, but I also remember logging about 100 hours on my old Crystal, and how much I loved the graphics and sounds. I guess it's about which one has the best memories.

I mostly play the originals, though I have played the remakes. In my opinion, the remakes are a decent update of the originals, much needed in the case of HGSS due to dead batteries in GSC. But Yellow has some features that the remakes don't (mostly anime-related).

I would love to play the originals too, seeing how much fun they were, but since I lost my copy of Yellow and my Gold's battery is dead, I really don't have a choice.

I would love to play the originals too, seeing how much fun they were, but since I lost my copy of Yellow and my Gold's battery is dead, I really don't have a choice.

You can replace the batter for Gold. I did that with Crystal recently, and for the past few weeks been playing it just fine.

I would just like to take a quick pulse of this forum to settle my curiosity.

Who here still plays the original games (R/B/Y/G/S/C) and who here are playing the remakes instead (LG/FR/HG/SS)?

I prefer the originals, thats what i will always remember and know as being better :)

Watch some of the remake movies they've been releasing and then watch their originals. Night and day, with the originals being better than the remakes for some of them.
Movies are not the same as games. Games are a lot more limited to the technology of the time. I can watch The Godfather just as easily as I can watch Avatar. But the same can't be said for Red and Blue compared to Black and White, or Super Mario Bros. compared to Super Mario Galaxy. The gameplay is completely different, moreso for Mario than Pokemon.

Not to say that newer games are better than old games, as there have been several franchises that have got worse over time. But when you play an older game, you have to adjust to the limitations and bugs of that period. For movies you don't have to do that, except for differences in special effects.

I personally prefer both.
But if I had to choose, I would definetely pick the originals.
Old graphics, old sound, Missingno. >_>
I love it all! :D

To me Red and Blue beats firered leafgreen, but heartgold and soulsilver beats gold and crystal.

I love the originals, because the remakes wouldn't exist without them, obviously.

But I do prefer remakes to the originals. Because they improve on the graphics, expand the storyline (only a little, but still), and they can make them more expansive than the originals.

i like the remakes better. one main reason is that they are much more technically advanced.

Kanto, original verses remake?
Original by a landslide. Now, true...I really haven't played much FireRed. I basically got my friend's old game and I only played to beat the Elite Four and do the Sevii Island stuff to transfer data to my DS games (I forgot why I got her game though haha! There was some reason behind it :B) so I didn't play through the eight badges and all of that. But, I dunno. I played Sapphire and Ruby, and FireRed just seemed so much similar to those (besides being like Red/Blue) and honestly, doing all the things I needed to do to get the data I wanted was so tedious. Compared to Yellow, a game I can play over and over and over and NEVER tire of. Yellow is different than Red and Blue, which I barely played, but still...

How about Johto?
Well, somehow this generation completely passed me by. Theeen again my family probably couldn't afford to have gotten Silver or Crystal at the time anyway so |D; I got to borrow a friend's Crsytal game for a week in middle school, then a year ago I had a friend send me his Silver game. He said the game was fine...but I played until almost the first badge, saved it, and discovered that my friend was wrong and the battery died. |D So um. Yeah. I do know a lot about Silver/Gold from INTERNETZ...However, I still go with the remakes, and honestly it's not JUST because I didn't really play S/G/C at the time they came out. SoulSilver combines an updated game with added features (it definitely stood out compared to Platinum, especially when you compare how little difference I saw between Sapphire and FireRed) but also nostalgia. Oh man, the nostalgia. I didn't even play G/S/C and these games gave me nostalgia. It also helps that the remixes are SO MUCH BETTER compared to the crap FireRed had. Even if you don't like them, they let you listen to the GameBoy Color ones! (Honestly, the music in FireRed makes it hard to enjoy as much. I don't even mean to be like a huge snob or anything.)

I honestly prefer old school games to new-gen (which is also why I still love Yellow; the shitty graphics and glitches are what makes it awesome), but SoulSilver was just about everything one could ask for a remake. It makes me wonder, if we get a Hoenn remake, if they can top it.

I prefer original red and blue over the remakes. I do like the remakes of gold and silver over the original.

I prefer both. The original games are faster-paced and have a nostalgic feeling, while the newer games play closer to the Pokemon rules set up today, which I adore.

I think the remakes. who doesnt like being intoxicated by nostalgia? but with that said, i love seeing how gamefreak could totally redesign an old game into something just like it, but more advanced.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom