• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Originals or Remakes?

ZeekSlider

never finished Gen. 2
Reaction score
I would just like to take a quick pulse of this forum to settle my curiosity.

Who here still plays the original games (R/B/Y/G/S/C) and who here are playing the remakes instead (LG/FR/HG/SS)?

I prefer the originals but have to carry two consols to play then, I can play remakes on my DS!

I prefer the remakes, almost all the original plot points still exist, but you get the bonus of being able to use new-gen Pokemon.

Also HgSs' soundtrack was the first time I took notice of ingame music.

I would just like to take a quick pulse of this forum to settle my curiosity.
(LG/FR/HG/SS)?
I think you mean poll.
I play both, actually. I enjoy the 8-bit graphics and music of the originals, but the remakes are technically superior in pretty much every way possible.

Even I having SoulSilver, sometimes I played my Silver until it stopped working.

It's a mixed bag for me. I didn't like FR/LG; something was off about them and they just didn't capture the charm of the originals. The games just kind of felt... flat, I guess. I still play R/B/Y, but I haven't touched LG since I finished it years ago.

As far as G/S/C and HG/SS go, I like them both equally. I think HG/SS did a great job capturing everything I loved about the originals while still managing to include nice additions. I would probably play G/S/C if I owned a working copy, but alas, I don't.

With Kanto, I prefer the originals (FrLg just doesn't sit well with me for some weird reason), but with Johto, I slightly prefer the remakes.

Whilst they're both good I do prefer the remakes, you get almost all the goodness of the originals with all the latest features. The only thing I will say against remakes is the potential for Bowdlerisation such as with Mr. Game :/

I think you mean poll.
Actually, my ulterior motive for posting this was to figure out if replacing the save battery when I start back up Crystal is worth the trouble or not. I don't have the cash for a DS, let alone the HG/SS remakes, so I was curious as to who was still playing what.

So far I'm rather surprised. It sounds like this community (or at least the people who responded) don't really care for LG/FR but like HG/SS over the original G/S/C.

Whilst they're both good I do prefer the remakes, you get almost all the goodness of the originals with all the latest features. The only thing I will say against remakes is the potential for Bowdlerisation such as with Mr. Game :/
Potential for what? *clicks link* Oh. Wait, I don't remember anything in the originals that warrented being changed like that.

The remakes, to me, are ALWAYS superior to the originals. FR/LG wasn't plagued by bugs like R/B was and HG/SS has WiFi and newer Pokemon to use in game compared to G/S.

So far I'm rather surprised. It sounds like this community (or at least the people who responded) don't really care for LG/FR but like HG/SS over the original G/S/C.
It's the nostalgia talking; Fr/Lg was a pretty bare-bones remake, whereas HgSs was a far more lush when compared to the original games.

For Kanto I prefer the originals. As if FRLG could ever mean more to me than Yellow Version. The remakes were decent when I played them in Gen III, but I have no inclination to play again.

For Johto I prefer the remakes. I never got attached to Gen II, and the internal battery thing. HGSS was even more fun to play than DPPl for me.

Playing the originals take me back. It's fun to do so for a little bit every now and then.

But for actually playing the games all the way through? The remakes are equal to or improve on the originals in just about every way.

Actually, my ulterior motive for posting this was to figure out if replacing the save battery when I start back up Crystal is worth the trouble or not. I don't have the cash for a DS, let alone the HG/SS remakes, so I was curious as to who was still playing what.

FrLg really didn't add much probably, and while I enjoyed Sevii Islands, there's really no re-playability.

At least with HgSs, the Pokeathlon gets a bit addictive and has a bunch of trophies to get for those who have to get 100% completion.

The way Crystal progresses is also a bit different from HgSs and I really enjoyed that as well, so if you have the means of restoring it, go for it.

The way Crystal progresses is also a bit different from HgSs and I really enjoyed that as well, so if you have the means of restoring it, go for it.
Yeah, that was my mindset originally (and still is with the case of Yellow).

Chromas, can you elaborate on your point some more? How do the remakes improve playing through the game outside of the generational upgrades like Double Battles and Abilities?

Regardless of the technicalities of the games themselves, one thing makes the playing of the remakes much more enjoyable than playing the originals: the backlight. I didn't get a GBA SP, so the DS was the first console I owned that ensured I didn't have to squint to see what I was doing! If I could play Yellow on my DS I would probably opt to do so - FR/LF were OK, but did little beyond update the graphics and music. They seemed to be a token attempt to get the fans of the old games interested in the new generation. HG/SS did the whole thing right, in adding loads of new elements to the games whilst sticking with the aspects that made the originals so good! I love my Silver game but there's few perks over its remake.

I play them all, but as far as originals vs remakes go I didn't really care for the Kanto remakes. The only thing I really appreciated about them were the new moves and the better graphics.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom