• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Originals or Remakes?

When it comes to playing them, I only play the Remakes, partly because Nintendo's latter handhelds force you to do so, and partly because going back to such archaic games isn't too fun. They always erase themselves anyway.

When it comes to preference, FRLG were nice efforts that helped the originals in its weaker areas, so I think they're great games. GSC and HGSS are so similar it doesn't even matter. I'd pick GSC for having less crappy dialogue, though. HGSS's additions were largely negligible.

Depends. For Kanto, I'd rather play RBY. For Johto, I guess HGSS.

I dunno...I just never got into FRLG.

RBY over FRLG because ERLG missed out on so much potential! (Was really annoyed when I haerd Crobat was post E4 even if it is happy enough now.) While RBY seems to stretch the limits of the GB (causing glitches to do so (some of which I think are positive Mew glitch FTW!))

With GSC Ive never played them properly. I have used Silver a few times to help my bro' train for a gym. I think I'd have had a lower opinion of HGSS if it weren't for GB Sounds and Pokeathlons.

So RBY over FR/LG though can't make an informed decision over GSC/HGSS

I can be a bit of a nostalgia nerd so I would definitely say the originals. But I still play all of my games!

I like the remakes over the originals due to the added features to the remakes, but from time to time I like playing the originals.

I haven't actually played the originals yet. I started in Gen 3. Even though if I did right now, I would have to say remakes are better. FR/LG has your pokemon have natures,ablites,genders,being able to use berries and letting your pokemon hold items. Compared to what R/B did. I played Leafgreen but the game stopped working while ago. But I still remember the facts it has. ;]

I liked FRLG better than Yellow, and HGSS jeaauusstt a little bit more than Crystal. D| Natures, more Pokemon, and a lack of glitches make it better.

I still play Silver version, but that's because I don't own a DS - I have heard the Johto remakes are absolutely amazing

I still play Silver version, but that's because I don't own a DS - I have heard the Johto remakes are absolutely amazing

Wow!! Finally! Someone in the same boat as I am!

I also don't have a DS, but my Silver battery died even though I never played it. :( After I'm finished with what I'm doing in Red and Yellow, I'll be repairing the game batteries so I can play Gen. 2.

I think you mean poll.
I play both, actually. I enjoy the 8-bit graphics and music of the originals, but the remakes are technically superior in pretty much every way possible.

I agree with you.
I play mostly blue and red because thats what got me into pokemon in the first place, but the remakes are awesome too because of all the new pokemon you can get

Remakes, hands down

The old ones were fun, but they're, well, old. And they show, especially graphics-wise, when put side-by-side with the remakes. The remakes simultaneously bring old fun things back and give them a slightly new feel

Also, the battle system keeps changing, and it's tough for me to go back.

Also, the remakes have new stuff from after the originals were created. FRLG had plenty of Johto Pokémon following the game's end. Same with HGSS and Hoenn/Sinnoh 'Mons.

Originals, even for GSC. I considered getting HGSS, but I just couldn't get over the fact how dumb they redesigned and renamed the main character, how bad the new music sounds, like Goldenrod City (and even the GB Sounds sound off), the whole perspective, and the Berry/Apricorn switch. Still, you can do a lot more things after beating Red...

As for RBY, although the Ghost/Psychic bug made Ghost types ineffective, it was still awesome.

And yes, I am aware of those who are run off of nostalgia, but I just prefer the originals.

i play them all. im going back through R/B right now. im having an awesome nostalgasim.

As for RBY, although the Ghost/Psychic bug made Ghost types ineffective, it was still awesome.
It wasn't a bug. It was the fact that all three of the Ghosts in the R/B/Y series were also Poison types, which made that type effectiveness cancel itself out.

Thankfully, they fixed this in Gen. 2 from what I remember. I'll find out soon enough as I'm almost "done" with the color series. (And once I buy a new battery...)

I'm not sure. some aspects of the original I like, the nostalgia and what not. but the remakes I like, because of the running shoes

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom