• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Originals or Remakes?

I note a lot of people cite the lack of bugs in FR/LG as reasons for liking them better than R/B/Y. I've gotta admit, I like that R/B/Y were buggy. It made things interesting :'D

It wasn't a bug. It was the fact that all three of the Ghosts in the R/B/Y series were also Poison types, which made that type effectiveness cancel itself out.

Thankfully, they fixed this in Gen. 2 from what I remember. I'll find out soon enough as I'm almost "done" with the color series. (And once I buy a new battery...)

No, they didn't fix that. The Ghastly line is still weak to psychic. What they did change was that in Gen I, Psychics were immune to Ghost Types.

Remakes>>>Originals

I note a lot of people cite the lack of bugs in FR/LG as reasons for liking them better than R/B/Y. I've gotta admit, I like that R/B/Y were buggy. It made things interesting :'D

Indeed.
picture.php

I can't understand why people like the bugs. It made the games almost unplayable for me. I never did finish the Blu version that I borrowed. I never intend to either.

RBY over FrLg, because it was fun to expose the bugs and walk through them.
HgSs over GSC, because they did Kanto justice this time.

I'm going with remakes. Especially the ones like HG/SS that capture the nostalgia that the originals had. I live for the "Oh I remember doing this, or messing up that, etc."

Personally, I like the remakes more, simply because of the fact that I can catch more Pokemon in them.

I will always like Pokemon Gold the most because of nostalgia, however.

For the Gen I games and their remakes, I actually prefer the originals. Sometimes the remakes felt kind of watered down compared to the originals, which is understandable since there were big controversies in the olden days about the Pokemon Tower and the Gamblers, but it's still a big thing for me.

I'd say GSC and HGSS are about equal, but Crystal was fucking epic and the new music can never compare... well, except for the Champion theme, which is awesome for both generations of Jouto.

I play SoulSilver for Johto, as for Kanto, I don't even play FireRed anymore, because of the physical/special split.

Remakes all the way. Both hgss and frlg were huge improvements over the originals.

I'm going through FR again now. Definetly more enjoyable than the original.

HGSS, though this and the originals are my least favourite, is also more enjoyable than GSC.

So yeah. Remakes>Originals.

I prefer the originals, not only out of nostalgia but also because I like 8-bit games. I could say the same for my preference for NES games over newer gen games.

8-bit's got that charm to it.

Depends on the generation, FR and LG were WAY better than red and blue, but HGSS will never touch the pure nostalgia of G/S/C. Those games were just too revolutionary.

Remakes as they give you the nostalgia of the older games but make it better with new content and features.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom