• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Originals or Remakes?

Blue was my first game but for some reason i just can't go back to it when i have a copy of Rire Red i can play that is basically the same but in better quality, Though i'm not a fan of the Remixed soundtracks but I listend to some of the Heart Gold material and it sounds amazing.

Remakes.

Better graphics, plot remains essentially the same and the access to the later generations of Pokémon.

I prefer the originals.
Maybe its because of Nostalgia ..

Theres nothing wrong with the remakes though. They're alright. I've seen my sister play the remakes. though, I play the originals ...
Remakes do have better graphics.. and you could actually run in there. ( minus FireRed and LeafGreen.. ( or something like that.. I looked up that you couldn't run until Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald .. maybe it was wrong? )

I prefer the originals.
Maybe its because of Nostalgia ..

Theres nothing wrong with the remakes though. They're alright. I've seen my sister play the remakes. though, I play the originals ...
Remakes do have better graphics.. and you could actually run in there. ( minus FireRed and LeafGreen.. ( or something like that.. I looked up that you couldn't run until Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald .. maybe it was wrong? )

You can run in FRLG. You get the running shoes after beating Brock when trying to leave Pweter city by going right.

Hmmm, I'm going to say remakes. Everyone likes the first edition of the games, and I'm no different. However there is often a lot more features in the new games, access to newer Pokemon and the improved graphics.

I may be a bit biased though as I loved FireRed and Heartgold, being two of my favourite games.

I can't really play the original Kanto games, considering I no longer have my copy of Blue or Yellow (both disappeared years ago). Then again, I lost my LG a few months ago too, so right now I can't play the remakes either, unless I steal my brother's FR. However, neither version really stands out to me, and I'd just play whichever one was available.

I do prefer the Johto remakes though. They seem so similar to the originals, can bring back memories and wonderful nostalgic feelings, and follow the storyline with better graphics and more pokemon.

Remakes. I really like SS/HG and how they made seasons change...better graphics too and the same sence of nostagia with pokemon following your every move! What fun!

I prefer remakes. Essentially the same game, better graphics, more features. I only got into Pokémon about 2 years ago, so I don't have any nostalgia for the older games either. :b

SoulSilver is just amazing. <3

I like the original games better because I like the older sprites.

The new games. The original games were so bad compared to the remakes, and FRLG were much better than the originals. HGSS (& GSC) weren't that good, but that's mostly because the Johto games are my least favourite, but I still enjoyed HGSS more than GSC.

dude, the originals are EPIC. Without them you would not have your remakes, and besides, I have always been a fan of the old graphics. But the remakes are OK, I guess. I like the Wi- Fi plaza. But still, old games all the way!

The remakes are much better than the originals. I mean, so what, the originals are more nostalgic, Big deal.

The origionals have their moments and it is alsot of fun to go back and play them and remember all of the good times that they brought. Overall though, the remakes are where its at. I like being able to use my new system to its full potential, and the modern functions like Wi-Fi are great. One of my biggest favorites is the music. The DS is capable of far more than the little gameboy ever was in this area (even though the 8-bit beepiness has its own charm)

I've played Yellow, FR, Silver, and Crystal. I can say that the Gen 1 remake seems like just an emotionless renovation of the original. It hardly improved upon the originals' charm and fun factor. However, I'm hearing nothing but good things about HG/SS, so I'll try that. Maybe I'll get the time to play it one day.

Last edited:
I prefer the originals. The remakes do make the graphics better, but its just not the same as the original for me.

I never get the people that say the originals are better because they have BAD graphics. They say that since the remkaes have better graphics they are automatically worse than the originals. Now I agree that good graphics don't always make a good game but game with BAD graphics isn't automatically a good game.

The same with Glitches. They say that the glitches made the old games better. How so? How are glitches that make the games unplayable a good thing?

It reminds me of Mew which was supposedly added after the game was debugged which was actually a very bad decision as it could wreck the game. Were the games actually debigged at all? Seeing the huge number of bugs that are still there, I would bet on no. And if they were debugged before, JUST HOW GLITCH-FILLED WERE THEY? :eek:

I prefer remakes for the improvements but there's always a fun nostalgia factor with the old games. I wouldn't give up my copy of Blue or Silver for anything, ofc, but I know that in terms of replayability, graphics, music and charm HeartGold and SoulSilver have especially taken a leap forward. The proof in the pudding is that even now I'm tempted to buy SoulSilver too and play that through so I can keep my HG file intact but enjoy the story and the little changes again.

Also, yay, 700th post! :D

I prefer the originals. They seem more fun than the remakes, but that's probably because i already know what happens.
But either way, its the originals.

I tend to enjoy the remakes more, as they include features that have been implemented after the original came out, yet they remain very similar to the plot and feel of the original games.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom