• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Originals or Remakes?

My red version was sharked so much that it's no longer playable, but I still play silver every now and then (until I get too frustrated with the walking speed and quit, of course). I barely played FR/LG, but SS has become my favorite Pokemon game of all time.

The remakes ages horribly. But remakes can never re-capture that moment of wonder and curiosity I had from playing a blind run through the game with Pokemon I never saw before.

If a player or fan hasn't played gen I or II or even BOTH of the gens is better off playing the remakes. Just think of it, you have your favorite trustworthy pokemon team in your gen I or II games but wait, you can't transfer them in the gen III games due to the incompatibility with the GB and GBA. Also, playing the remakes is like playing the same old gen again but with better graphics,sound,color,& sprites compared to the originals. The remakes can also connect with newer gens making it easier to complete your pokedex, and you get to see and use your beloved kanto or johto team in the newer gens. I'm really glad I started playing pokemon at gen 3, because not seeing your old trustworthy pals in the new screen would really upset me in no end :{

The remakes are much better than the originals. I mean, so what, the originals are more nostalgic, Big deal.
THIS...

A lot of us (though I don't speak for everyone) who prefer the originals don't do so purely out of nostalgia, as many of you here seem to believe.

For instance, one reason I prefer the originals over the remakes for the 8 bit charm quality they have to them. Am I blinded by nostalgia for liking 8 bit games? Hell no. Many 8 bit games are arguably more enjoyable then most modern day games and are still widely played today. Call it "bad graphics" or whatever, but if it wasn't enjoyable by so many then 8 bit revivals such as Megaman 9 and 10 wouldn't exist, and modern day games based on NES era graphics such as Cave Story wouldn't exist.

Another reason I tend to lean towards the originals is simply the.....simplicity. No natures to worry about, no >1000000 pokemon to be bothered with, and a much smaller emphasis on still fledgling game play elements such as EV's and IV's. It's not that I don't want to play complex games, it's just the fact that when I have less to be bothered with in game, I find it easier to just pick up and play.

And finally, this nostalgia issue.
Yes. Nostalgia is a factor. Being able to trade and battle with friends a few feet away from you (via link cable) and not strangers from millions of miles away (GTS, etc), the shared sense of camaraderie you get from your whole school being into the franchise at the time and the general lack of awareness for the social stigma of being immature for playing a "kid's game" harkens back to some of the best days of my life.

It depends. I like to play the new games if I really want to get into it and train my Pokemon to their fullest potential, I play a remake. If I just want to play something simple and enjoyable, I play the originals.

I prefer remakes...because of better graphics, more added functions, pokemon attacks, multiple regions etc..
Plus I'm immune to nostalgia

I like all remakes - the graphics and musics are much better, and there's a lot more storyline added. If there's ever a Hoenn remake, I'm definitely going to be the first person to try it out LOL

Gen I will always have a special place in my heart; however, I do recognize how crappy some of the aspects were. I play the remakes.

I prefer the originals but I have to say that heart gold and soul silver were made extreemly well.

I prefer FR/LG, but I prefer G/S over HG/SS by a TINY fraction (only because G/S were the first ones I ever played)

Well, I didn't just play Gen I, but the remakes... I didn't like them. So, I think that I prefer the originals. However, I love Gen II, as originals games as remakes.

I play both RBY and FR, but I play RBY more it seems. I'll restart the games and replay them. I get less attached to my Pokemon because I can't transfer them to my Gen IV games if I want to start over.

I never had GSC, so I have HG and SS. I got bored of them soon after beating the E4 and Pokeathlon. It takes forever to train using the Poke Gear rematch system...

Remakes are nice because unlike my original Red and Crystal, they don't restart themselves every now and then. But it's refreshing and nostalgic to play the originals, especially on my old Gameboy Color. ^^

I only prefer the remakes because I'm attatched to the Pokemon on LeafGreen, whereas the old games are owned by my brother now.

I prefer remakes...because of better graphics, more added functions, pokemon attacks, multiple regions etc..
Plus I'm immune to nostalgia

The only remakes that had multiple regions was HGSS. And it wasn't even multiple, just 2; Kanto and Johto.

You could say the Sevii Island is a separate region, but it wasn't a fully-fledged region.

I have fonder memories of the originals, but remakes are unarguably technically superior, pack more features, and offer significantly more replay value. I could see why some may prefer the 8-bit aspects of the originals, such as the graphics and soundtrack, but it isn't as if the remakes are missing anything that made the originals so good back when they were first released--GameFreak has been fairly conservative with their remakes.

I no longer play anything older than Gen III on a cartrage (there are other ways I play them though which I will not elaborate on further) so I have to say remakes. They are less glitchy and the mechanics seem all around easier to understand.

The originals. I do really enjoy the great graphics and the additions to the story in the remakes, but I can't really say I care for anything > 251

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom