• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Orre - Main Series? Or Side Game?

Do you agree with me that Orre should not be listed under the "Main series" region?

• Yes.

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • No... [Please explain]

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • I propose a different option. [Please explain]

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which brings me to my next point. The Stadium games and Battle Revolution, despite acting solely as a peripheral for 3-D battling (plus minigames in the Stadium series), are still considered main series titles because of the way they interact with the handhelds. Stripped of the RPG mode, Colosseum/XD serve exactly the same purpose.

Furthermore, the Stadium series also required special hardware in the form of the N64 Transfer Pak, yet this does not affect its status.

I consider all of the games you just mentioned to be side games too.

Actually, I think that's 28 for main series, and 19 for not main series. It doesn't help that the question was worded so confusingly (I voted for "I propose a different option" anyway).

Did you count the ones that got confused? I'm sure the poll numbers are messed up because it's "confusing". Wouldn't it be better to reset the poll and start again?

Just to help with the discussion, here is something interesting I came across:

IGN: Why have you never made a Pokemon game for Nintendo's home consoles? Would you consider doing a Game Freak main-series Pokemon game on the Wii?

Junichi Masuda: I don't think so. I think the Pokemon core series is always going to be with handheld hardware, in the future as well. I consider handheld hardware you can carry around with you as almost being equal to being with Pokemon, always. I think handheld really matches the idea of Pokemon that we have. Also, you can communicate and transfer data all the time, whenever you want with a handheld. That's also a match with the Pokemon concept.

Sure, it is translated from Japanese, but it acknowledges the term main series (or core series as Masuda's text is translated) in an official context. Masuda mentions how he thinks that the 'core' series is always going to be on handheld systems, thus dismissing that there have been any in the past.

A bit late, but... if that's the Word Of God, I guess that settles this then.

No, the main series is and will always be on the handheld. Just because Colusseum/XD play like the main series doesn't mean they're part of it. Pokémon Battle Revolution plays like the main series, but do we consider Pokétopia a main series region?

Okay, I'm sick of seeing this thread here. The votes are cast, and most of the staff happens to be on one side, IIRC. Case closed.

*click*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom