• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

OS/OI Redub

KJNanika

Apprentice Pokémon Professor
Reaction score
This might sound like a really dumb idea. But I recently thought that perhaps a redub of the original series (that ideally would be almost completely accurate to the Japanese version with the exception of character/species/location names)

I did hear the main reason the Japanese version has never had an official Western release is that one of the songs from the OST (possibly Mezase! Pokémon Master iirc) was expensive to buy the rights to use, but (either through crowdfunding or general interest in either a release of the Japanese version or an entire redub) TPCI could possibly consider it?

And if the show ever got redubbed into English, would we keep the current cast/cast new actors for those who haven't appeared in the anime in years, or would TPCI try to get back as much of the 4Kids cast as possible in order to appease older fans?

And would most of the Pokemon cries be redubbed or not (considering some Pokemon have the same/similar names in Japanese and English and some Pokemon in the games use cries based on their Japanese name in certain textboxes, such as Clefairy saying 'Pi pippi!')

An interesting idea, but this isn’t like say, Sailor Moon haha.

I love the dub for the OG series and feel like it had a lot of great moments and deliveries. I would want future generations to see it rather than a redone version, especially with some of the current voices today.

TPCI just doesn't have much interest in doing stuff like that (as I mentioned before: anime dub wise, they always look to the future and never to the past) and with the 4Kids cast still being liked and appreciated I doubt people would be happy if they were to just randomly get up from their seats and redub the entirety of the Kanto/Orange Islands without warning.

And it would most certainly have the current VA's (I mostly call them that since well, they're really not new anymore now) as opposed to the 4Kids cast with only the major VA's still on the show - Lisa Ortiz and Ted Lewis for example staying on (and LA VA's from Journeys too). The days of getting Rachael Lillis on board to voice a new character has long passed since I haven't seen her in a single recent dub that isn't Hunter X Hunter or the Fate series.

Sure, the original has it's fair share of problems but I still think it holds up pretty well as far as old time dubs are concerned. *This is coming from someone excited to see Gundam Seed's redub.*

Please no. The 4 kids dub of the original series was far better than the original Japanese version. I also don't want to lose Pikachu's jukebox and the fantastic dialogue that was used.

The original series absolutely needs a proper dub but unfortunately it's just not going to happen as long as TPCi still has the rights to the show.

TPCi typically doesn't touch anything that came out more than a year ago :cry:

Given the quality of the dub today, I'd rather they didn't, if only because they've completely lost the ability to have a voice match a character, and what is this "multiple takes until it sounds good and fits the context" thing that good companies use for their shows? Seems like a lot of extra work and nobody wants to waste time with that

Add in the bizarre unwillingness to pay for the original music, and you've got a recipe for a disaster that makes the original voice switch look tame

If OS was redubbed I would prefer to hand it over to anyone but TPCi that could do an competent and more faithful to the original Japanese version. Me personally I'd go with Funimation as their handling of One Piece has been great. But I am not the most verse person with all the production studios so perhaps someone who is more verse will have their preference over who could redub OS. I still do have an fondness of the 4Kids dub for OS especially when we finally got the core voice trio for Team Rocket in place. Eric Stuart/Rachel Lillis/Maddie Blaustein are to me the best at those characters and I absolutely loved the chemistry they had together.

I can't really see a redub happening for a number of reasons. I can't see TPCI using the time, money and resources to redub the original series, or really any series for that matter. That would just take up too much time from dubbing the more recent series and movies. While getting a more faithful dub of the original series would be neat, I don't know if we could really get that with TPCI given how the reception has been to their dubs of more recent series. If TPCI isn't willing to pay for legal subs, which would be the easier and cheaper means of making the Japanese version available for fans, then they aren't going to pay even more money to redub hundreds of episodes.

Besides that, they would definitely use the current cast. That might not be a big issue for people who have grown up with the TPCI and I'm sure plenty of people have by this point. They have been working on the dub for well over a decade, so plenty of kids know characters with these voices instead of the 4Kids cast. However, I think redubbing the original series with the current cast would potentially cause some backlash among older fans. That might not be really a huge issue when the 4Kids dub still exists and is readily available, but I'm just not sure if TPCI would want to do that when there isn't much, if any, benefit for them to redub the series.

I'd be more on-board with a re-dub of the original series if the current dub was good. Sure, the dialogue would probably be more accurate but I doubt the original music would be kept, we'd probably just get a new cover of "Pokemon Theme" instead of an English cover of "Aim to be a Pokemon Master", and the voice direction would still make any good voice actors this dub has sound mediocre.

Unless we were able to get a competent, accurate, enjoyable dub of the original series (which is something TPCi is unable/unwilling to do with the main series) I'd just prefer it be left alone.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom