• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Oshawott and Piplup's Rivalry?

Ishida

Reaction score
What do you think about their rivalry do you think it's annoying or entertaining? Honestly it's starting to get on my nerves because they're always hogging up screentime but that's just my opinion.

I see entertaining at times, but sometimes they need to do something else to move the plot along

I absolutely love it. From the second I heard that Hikari was returning, I was hoping these two would get screen time together and would have some type of rivalry. While I do think that fighting over Meleotta's affections will get old, I hope that other things come up that they disagree with each other on to keep it up. I don't think they're hogging all that much screen time, but then, I really enjoy seeing the Pokemons' interactions with one another, too. I'd still love to see them in a double battle together, though.

I find it annoying because its almost the same "grit teeth at each other and suddenly grow teeth that I shouldn't have" look. I think it would be better if they mixed it up a bit.

While entertaining, it is getting stale. However, I think it's leading up to something big for Oshawott. He needs to get broken down so he can man-up and become strong, considering he's Ash's weakest pokemon after Scraggy.

I find it annoying because it's just two starters trying to get Meloetta's attention. Besides, Oshawott basically likes every girly pokemon that looks pretty and cute - his rivalry with Piplup for Meloetta isn't all that entertaining.

I mean its just a running gag in the anime. There has been loads of them and I have nothing against it. Its probably more funny and entertaining to a younger audience but still its entertaining. Besides, they take up 30 seconds of screentime per episode if that.

It feels like the routine is there for the sake of having a routine if that makes sense

At first I found it funny since Piplup was the prime Water-type of the DP arc only to meet its BW counterpart. However, it has been getting annoying considering I would like to see some of Dawn's other Pokemon used in battle and not only that more screen time as well.

When its all said and done Meloetta could careless about either one of them. Not to sound cold-hearted but really that's what it all boils down to. The only way Miju would "win" is if Meloetta decides to go with Ash in the end (who knows the outcome of that) and they can be together forever at Oak's ranch or they'll stay in Unova since Ash is sending his Pokemon their rather than Kanto, but I really think their "rivalry" along with Miju learning Hydro Pump is another excuse to not let it evolve. That way their rivalry will be on somewhat even terms.

Hopefully it won't be extremely overused like Stephan's name being mispronounced or Bianca's strange fixation on Bulky Pokemon/knocking Ash into water whenever they meet/etc. However, given the way running gags are literally run ragged in the BW story line I'm pretty certain that it will last until Dawn's departure.

Last edited:
Eh, I don't mind it. The only running gag with Piplup I actually liked was when Fukamaru kept hitting it with Draco Meteor. And why I enjoyed that particular gag is a mystery to me.

It's better than the other gags in BW, anyway. I can't stand the gag with Kenyan's name anymore, and Bell was annoying with her Zorua obsession (though I did find her muscle fetish-obsession-thing amusing.)

I don't think their "fighting" over Meloetta is overused, or a running gag, considering it's only appeared in two episodes (BW86 and BW87).

BW88: They were playing together at Kumasyun's home. They had a little quarrel about Bachuru (not Meloetta), and it was Meloetta who pacify them.
BW89: They don't quarrel at all, despite Meloetta's presence. They work together like a team.
BW90: Mijumaru isn't appeared.

it is very funny and amusing. the writers should give oshawott and piplup their own spin off show to focus on comiedac routines

I like it I mean I don't see Ash around, but I think their rivalry is useless because Meloetta is gender.....less.

it is very funny and amusing. the writers should give oshawott and piplup their own spin off show to focus on comiedac routines

I agree. Giving them there own special shorts is better than this happening in the actually series. Hope to God it's almost over.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom