• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Other anime dubs that mix the Japanese score with original music?

SushiBurrito

Reaction score
Something that was always kind of unique in the Pokemon dub from both 4kids and TPCi was mixing the Japanese score with their own original music. Has there been any other dub that has done this?

Off the top of my head the only thing I can think of is the edited Pioneer release of the 3 Sailor Moon movies that used mostly recycled Dic music but kept about 2-3 pieces of Japanese music per film.

There was an dubbing company called Speedy that sort of kinda did this in the 90's. With DragonBall, Doraemon, and others. They vary in quality just about everywhere. There's also the Beyblade dubs even, Shin-Chan, Bakugan and a fair amount of Kids anime dubs in general.

I guess technically the 4kids dubs of Fighting Foodons and Dinosaur King.

Zatch Bell did this on Toonami.

The TV edited dub of Vision of Escaflowne that aired on Fox Kids (just titled Escaflowne) did this as well - I believe making it one of the few instances of a Saban production keeping any Japanese music, at the insistence of the license holders (imagine having the nerve to replace anything by Yoko Kanno).

Dogasu has a blurb on his site listing these and several other examples:

While the practice of mixing soundtracks in this manner is rare, especially in this day and age, it's not unheard of. Other English dubs that mix soundtracks include Zatch Bell, The Prince of Tennis, MÄR, Kiki's Delivery Service, the Fox Kids Escaflowne dub, and Battle of the Planets.

If I recall correctly, in the modern day, there are no other dubs that do this anymore.

Im still shocked the Japanese side still allows this. Do t they want synergy or something? A shame.

Do the gatchaman hackdubs of battle of the planets and G-Force count? Hamtaro was a mix and match apparently with MegaMan NT warrior too. Oh sho pro...

Back
Top Bottom