• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Other Monster Capture Games

Shib

Reaction score
I’ve been playing Pokémon games since gen 1 but haven’t ever really looked too closely at similar franchises until recently.

A few months ago I got Yokai Watch 1 and 2 for £2 each so far only played a bit of 1 but it is fun so going to carry on with it. I’m not too fond of the battle system, but it’s a bit of fun and I certainly got it for a good price. This got me to thinking about other similar franchise I should probably look at as a good way of comparing the genre as a whole.

I just managed to get a decent (I think) deal on Digimon Cyber Sleuth for the Switch - I have a very passing knowledge of the franchise, mainly from watching half a dozen episodes of the anime quite a few years ago.

I’m aware of TemTem (given the amount of coverage it had earlier in the year it seemed largely unavoidable online as a Pokémon fan) but don’t have a gaming PC so won’t really be looking at that at all until it gets a console release.

What other franchises should I look at? Really I’m only interested in computer games and not full media franchises.

Shin megami tensei for certain, as well as dragon quest monsters, the former spawned persona but is a much darker tale about the end of the world and you have to decide how to go about it, join the forces of law and create order, side with demons and go chaotic, or kick both their asses to remain neutral?
As for DQM, it’s classic dragon quest, but now you can tame the famed slime and other monsters of the series, final bosses included (yes even the dragonlord)

I had heard interesting things about Shin Megami Tensei before so it’s on my radar and the recent Nintendo Direct mini with the announcement of V has got thinking I’ll probably look at it closer when that launches.

I’ve played a little bit on one of the main line Dragon Quest games but never really looked at the Monsters spin off so will keep an eye out for any deals on those.

There's also Fossil Fighters, also from Nintendo, but the first game is... uhm... weird. And a little bit too self-aware.

There's also the Digimon World DS games, although only the first two got translated. Lost Evolution is in fan translation limbo since... 5 years ago or more?

EDIT: I forgot about the most (in)famous one: Telefang. There's a fan re-translation in the works and is in an advanced state if I recall correctly.

Digimon World Dawn and Dusk is closest enough in that it even has version and team exclusives, though any Digimon World game will scratch your itch.

World of Final Fantasy also fits that you get creatures and even call upon other FF characters to help you in battle, if you don't mind this installment being more cutesy and lighthearted.

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has familiars you can coerce into joining you. (Revenant Kingdom does not have familiars as an fyi)

Spectrobes series is another one by Disney Interactive that you can try, their evolutionary stages are similar to Digimon with having Child, Adult, and Evolved, there are Ultimate forms as well but they're sort of similar to legendaries; each Spectrobe starts out as a fossil first that you have to awaken. They're also able to be customized if that's your thing.

I’d forgotten Invisimals - I got that cheap years ago just for the PSP camera and felt instantly rewarded when playing it as Brian Blessed appeared on screen. Don’t think I really played it much though to be honest.

Talking about catching things with a camera, there's also Denpa Men. You catch those little... men? using your 3DS camera. Sadly, they only appear where you can find wi-fi connections.

EDIT: You can also get them with QR codes that you can find on the internet.

I had heard interesting things about Shin Megami Tensei before so it’s on my radar and the recent Nintendo Direct mini with the announcement of V has got thinking I’ll probably look at it closer when that launches.
The 3DS has a lot of SMT games to pick up while you wait imo. Demons in SMT IV, IV Apocalypse, Strange Journey Redux and Soul Hackers are all obtained through negotation and fusions so they're all solid places to start.

Last edited:
I remember another one, although I can't recall its name. It was a DSi game where you took photos and depending of the colors in the pcture you would get different monsters.

Don't know much about it aside from that, though.

I remember another one, although I can't recall its name. It was a DSi game where you took photos and depending of the colors in the pcture you would get different monsters.

Don't know much about it aside from that, though.
Foto Showdown, I remember because my friend had it and only played it for a week since she didn't like how collecting monsters with the camera was annoying due to the color gimmick.

Same, it’s why I started the thread :p Have to admit though Invisimals (and to a lesser extent Chibi Robo Lets Go Photo) put me off games that require a camera gimmick for gameplay so I might give that one a miss.

I’ve been quite enjoying Digimon Cyber Sleuth - while I liked a lot of things about Yokai watch I really hate the battle and “capture” systems which make it very hard to play - I respect they were trying to do something very different to Pokémon but just personally not for me. Digimon on the other hand still feels different enough to Pokémon that it doesn’t feel like a reskinned Pokémon game but familiar enough that it’s comfortable to drop into as a more casual gamer.

That said I’m not a fan of the Digivolution system in Cyber Sleuth and my wife (who unlike me used to watch the anime as a kid) even found it odd and a bit confusing. Glad I had no preconceived idea of trying to build a specific team as the multiple branching thing doesn’t make that easy.

That said I’m not a fan of the Digivolution system in Cyber Sleuth and my wife (who unlike me used to watch the anime as a kid) even found it odd and a bit confusing. Glad I had no preconceived idea of trying to build a specific team as the multiple branching thing doesn’t make that easy.
Yeah, that's the problem with the Digimon games. The branches are confusing and change from game to game.

highly recommend World of Final Fantasy to those who haven't experienced it yet, although i suppose it is geared somewhat towards seasoned FF players given the amount of character cameos there. still though, it's a great monster catcher game!

highly recommend World of Final Fantasy to those who haven't experienced it yet, although i suppose it is geared somewhat towards seasoned FF players given the amount of character cameos there. still though, it's a great monster catcher game!
Can second WoFF
What is World of Final Fantasy? Sounds interesting.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom