• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Our own tiering system: Empirical Tiers

You give us the right to use it (you can't propose it and then pull the plug if you get mad at us for something) but I don't think you relinquish the right to use it on your own independently, either.

Oh, sure, you can use it, no problem. But if, say, Four Star Mon uses it first and we don't call it the "Bulbagarden system" (I'm talking about the promotion/demotion system in general, not the tier system, which would be Bulbagarden), will there be trouble there?

Or if the reverse happens and Four Star Mon uses it afterwards but still calls it by our own name?

Sorry, I'm talking about the algorithm, not the tiers themselves. I'm not sure you guys would want the promotion-demotion system to be called "the Bulbagarden algorithm".

I think the actual name of the algorithm is a pretty minor issue.

Yeah, I probably just care about it too much for my own ego's sake XD

How far are we on the decision, though?

I think once we get a little more activity on the server we should push this live. The votes edge towards starting at Tier 4, but that decision can be left up to you.

I think once we get a little more activity on the server we should push this live. The votes edge towards starting at Tier 4, but that decision can be left up to you.

As Anne Robinson from The Weakest Link would say, it's votes that count. Once we get more activity, we'll start them at Tier 4.

Well, it's currently waiting for implementation on the Pokémon Online server.

That's the only thing holding it back at this junction. Otherwise, it's actually pretty much completed.

It may just be a timezone issue for me, but as far as I can see, no.

Do we have the activity on the PO server to support this?

Not from what I know. But that won't stop us implementing it once we do have enough activity... right?

Oh, that reminds me. We need to decide on a sample size for each tier, to determine percentages of usage and relative representation.

As far as I can tell, the PO server hasn't even been up for quite a while, though...

We have 2 servers right?

Or is immewnity(sp?) only using his?

Anyways did our server(s) have usage stats?

We have 2 servers right?

Or is immewnity(sp?) only using his?

Anyways did our server(s) have usage stats?

(sp is correct.)

Even if they did, from what I've heard, they don't have nearly enough to actually create usage tiers.

We need our sample size to be at least about 2500.

First off, we need people to know about this. Alot of people dont look at the very bottom of the forums regularly. they just stop scrolling at the battle center or contest hall or whatever. I think we should make this an announcement.

Second off, in order to get activity, why don't we host an official tournament using these tiers. Do we have an initial ban list? If not we can call it Ubers but say matches must be played on the BMGF server.

lastly, we need to get some way to make this thing be on the list of servers. Can the people with high uptimes on their computers make bots to stay online, so we have around 4 or 5 people on always, as this makes us around 6th or 7th in the list of servers. This attracts people, and with a link to this thread or a new thread with the polished concept in it, we can get people to join in on the effort, even those who have never been to BMGF.

First off, we need people to know about this. Alot of people dont look at the very bottom of the forums regularly. they just stop scrolling at the battle center or contest hall or whatever. I think we should make this an announcement.

Second off, in order to get activity, why don't we host an official tournament using these tiers.

I think we would get pretty far using Bulbanews. Maybe we can even give away an in-game prize for the winner or something? For instance, I have a legit shiny Oddish on emerald which I can clone indefinitely, migrate, and possibly donate it as a prize. But maybe someone has the same with a shiny bulbasaur? (because it's the site mascot and all) It would probably get even more people.

Do we have an initial ban list? If not we can call it Ubers but say matches must be played on the BMGF server.

Maybe we can vote on that? Because ubers kinda keep each other in check anyway, so I don't think we should start with allowing everything.

lastly, we need to get some way to make this thing be on the list of servers. Can the people with high uptimes on their computers make bots to stay online, so we have around 4 or 5 people on always, as this makes us around 6th or 7th in the list of servers. This attracts people, and with a link to this thread or a new thread with the polished concept in it, we can get people to join in on the effort, even those who have never been to BMGF.

I can just go on it whenever my computer's on. Anyone else willing to do that?

(sp is correct.)

Even if they did, from what I've heard, they don't have nearly enough to actually create usage tiers.

We need our sample size to be at least about 2500.
I see. At least we do have usage stats.
I could post a thread+announcement in the Battle Center if everyone wants.

Second off, in order to get activity, why don't we host an official tournament using these tiers. Do we have an initial ban list? If not we can call it Ubers but say matches must be played on the BMGF server.
If people would be interested in a Spring/Summer BMGf tourney I wouldn't mind. The problem would be getting prizes imo.

The Four Star Mon algorithm (I'll be calling it that from now on; it's going to be implemented on Four Star Mon's own competitive battling ladders when those get set up) doesn't support ban lists. It's up to the tier list using the system (i.e. Bulbagarden) and the individual tournament to determine which tiers are "banned".

Also, if we are going to organize a tournament, I think we need it to be free-for-all so that the Ubers get put in their place. We don't have usage stats yet, remember. If we have an a priori banlist, some Pokémon that should rightly be in higher tiers will never make it there.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom