• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Our site's going haywire

White Len

Bloody Melt
Reaction score
A) Speculation is getting ridiculous
Seriously. Everyone's going around saying 'Oh, Chimchar's going to evolve!' and 'Shaymin is confirmed to have a Sky Form! Put it on Bulbapedia!'. Seriously, folks. The amount of speculation we have on the site we all love is increasing like bull----. Another rising problem we have is...

B) Alternate sprites
People, uploading useless crap onto the Archives is slowing down our server. Squirtle may have its glasses 25% of the time, but what's the difference using the original sprite? Oh sure, Sceptile has that stick in its mouth every since it was caught. What's the difference of a few pixels? Like I said on Ash Ketchum's page, if we create alternate sprites, why not create alternate MS sprites too (sarcasm)?

... is that why we have 26,570 files in Archives? Gah.

Yes, we need a serious reevaluation of how Bulbapedia should be used and what to classify as abuse.

Things to consider as abuse:

1. Use of talk pages to discuss the topic in general - use BMGf!
2. Use of user pages to host fanfics and other fancruft - Bulbapedia is not a personal web hosting service. (Likewise Archives.)
3. Use of user pages for mazes - just no.
4. Use of user pages to publish inventory for trading purposes - but this might be tolerable within limits.

2. Use of user pages to host fanfics and other fancruft - Bulbapedia is not a personal web hosting service. (Likewise Archives.)

This would include the use of altered sprites in Bulbapedia articles right? I ask because they are being added to the articles for [bp]Ash Ketchum[/bp], [bp]Jessie[/bp], [bp]Taisei[/bp] and [bp]Madame Muchmoney[/bp]. I have a feeling that if this issue isn't dealt with soon we will have a problem on our hands.

This would include the use of altered sprites in Bulbapedia articles right? I ask because they are being added to the articles for [bp]Ash Ketchum[/bp], [bp]Jessie[/bp], [bp]Taisei[/bp] and [bp]Madame Muchmoney[/bp]. I have a feeling that if this issue isn't dealt with soon we will have a problem on our hands.

It's already kinda getting out of hand. Edit wars have happened.

I've been saying talk page clutter has been a problem for a while. People use the talk page to discuss the subject of the article. Every time I remove such things, I always say use the forum.

The only thing is...I'm sure this kind of crap is on almost every talk page...how would you get rid of it?

Also, this has been brought up before; but are galleries of Pokemon using the same attack on attack pages REALLY necessary? All those screencaps just seem to be taking up space.

Last edited:
Maybe we should disable the talk page feature for a while and see if they migrate to BMGf by force.

Either that or we need to start enforcing some stricter rules. I don't care if it makes some people angry or disappointed — Bulbapedia isn't the place for it, and there are plenty of other places they can go for that. They aren't adding anything to the actual content of the site.

Agreed - we need to enforce stricter rules. (Though there are arguments against driving away page views...)

Is it possible to do an entire talk page wipe? Like...clear every single talk page? If this is possible I'll go further into my idea.

You may want to go over to Talk:Ash Ketchum. The consensus there is very much pro-the alternate sprites. I personally don't think they're that much of a bother, as long as we don't go crazy and limit it to those who are consistent in their alternate character designs. (Noctowl will probably stay either way. Grovyle's sprite at least needs to lose that damn flower.)

Although I notice someone uploaded Pokesho's versions of the sprites for no apparent reason. I might delete them in a bit.

Talking of the archives, disorganisation there is definately a big, big issue.

On talk page clutter: Well, as I said in the previous thread, people tend to go crazy over new info so Shaymin's talk page naturally just got an archive. I didn't see much over Chimchar - and I was looking since I don't like needless protections.

Well, that discussion could easily come over to the forums. When Platinum was announced, I went to the talk page and said that it's for article discussion only. So far it's worked...I should go check it now.

To be fair, most of the Sky Forme stuff is still on the main talk page. It is relevant to an extent since the article needs to include it eventually but we just need Nintendo to make the official announcement so everyone can move on to something else.

Is it possible to do an entire talk page wipe? Like...clear every single talk page? If this is possible I'll go further into my idea.

Of course - in the same manner we got "rid" of all the user pages on April 1.

Alright, what if in order to get talk pages organized again, making sure we make it clear that they are not for discussion on the article's subject...what if we gave everyone a certain amount of time to archive their things they want...and then wipe them all? Seems a bit extreme...but it's just an idea to get the talk pages back in order.

Alternate sprites are putting quite a bit on the server. If this continues, maybe we should try banning the people who are constantly uploading these sprites... That might cause a riot, though.

I thought I removed the flower yesterday. Did the idiot reupload it?

Banning for uploading? That's a bit extreme. Warnings would be better.

There is no convincing. It NEEDS done.

we really need to convince people to use the forums for stuff - really, anything which the forums can handle. Would help that whole "integration" thing that has been tossed around forever but largely ignored!

Indeed. All the stuff going on the talk pages really belongs here, and the way the forums handle it in databases causes a hell of a lot less load than the wiki does.

It's a pity that it's probably far too late to even attempt to integrate the Bulbapedia and BMGf user databases. When we first started 'pedia, there was nothing out there that could achieve it.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom