• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Over Sun and Moon

2. Battle Institute (whoever says it is the same as the Battle Maison, hasn´t really played it much, as Battle Institute uses different rules based on HOW you battle, so it is not a copy of the Maison)

This was actually something that I frequently used for getting teams ready. You could earn up to 15 BP on top of free Vitamins for just 5 matches based on performance rather than hard wins. It also meant that you didn't have to risk losing streaks at the Maison too. That's quite a steal compared to right now, where the Tree and Royal Dome hit you with high level opponents out of the gate, making it harder for some people to even get started on team building.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I played for over 100 hours in a little over a month. It was partially me running out of things to do, and partially because I realized that I hadn't played anything but Sun in over a month and I wanted to play something else. Once Bank gets updated I might pick it back up again.

I loved the postgame all the way up to White 2. Ever since X, I have just lost interest in the postgame. I don't know why, maybe it's due to there not really being much of a postgame nowadays.

I can't even complete the Looker Chapter in Sun and Moon. I loved the one In Kalos, but in Alola... Meh...

I stopped a while ago, and only go on to dress up my character or trade something to friends. There's just nothing to do once you beat the game and complete the Dex. Well, side from the Battle Maison knock-off, or the unplayable and laggy mess that is the Battle Royal. I can't even train a team for the metagame, since they got rid of Super Training and SOS Battles + Festival Plaza aren't nearly as helpful.

I'd like to restart the games and play them over once we get PokeBank though; it'd give me a wider selection of Pokemon to work with. The main game is super fun, so I'd like to go over it again.

So I landed on Poni Island and then for some reason decided to stop going through the main game in favour of going back and catching all of the Pokemon on previous islands that I'd missed and levelling Pokemon to register their evos in my dex. After like a week or two of this every time I head back to Poni Island to continue the story I'm like, ".... mehhhhhh" and turn the DS off. I didn't even think about if I was over the game so much as "I guess I'm just tired?" but I dunno. If that's my reaction every time I try to go back and continue the story then maybe I am over it? I think a huge part of it is a lack of National Dex cause I want all my guyyyyyyyyys (so lack of PokeBank too).

I'll still finish it eventually but for now I'm probably just gonna come on for Island Scan global mission and maybe evo a few things.

I was initially planning to restart once Bank is updated, but I'm having second thoughts about that. I admit I'm feeling a little worn out and bored by the game for two large reasons.

1. The lag.
Oh the horrible lag. Makes it difficult to enjoy battles that aren't single formats. SOS chaining becomes a chore once the ally pokemon appears. Battle Tree doubles take forever, multi battles take even longer, and Battle Royal is a huge offender. Battle Spot? The worst.

*orders attack*
*waits*
*battle scene whirls around and the camera shows close-ups of each of the four pokemon on the field*
*message box appears saying 'waiting for the opponent to choose'*

That step alone takes over a minute. Guess how long it takes for the attacks to actually commence on the screen. I'm not even happy when I win a difficult battle.

2. No distractions.
Really, nothing much to do after completing the dex. Can't enjoy battles because of the lag... and I really hope they fix that in the next installment.

I, too haven't really played the games that much at all after the postgame... Well, a better way of saying it: I mostly have been letting the game play itself until a Pokebank update comes along. All I really do is this routine every day or so:

1. Go to the festival plaza for daily items and fortunes.
2. Go to the Pokepelago for EV/Exp. training, Berry growing, and Item mining.

Pretty much it. The most interesting postgame features to me are indeed really passive, and only once my team gets completed at the Pokepelago may I take on the battle tree. Unlike the last Generation, all the training items feel locked up, and too much trouble for me to get to just by grinding alone.

ORAS has a lot more content than SM, no matter how we look at it. But that makes sense since ORAS is the "third version" of Gen VI and SM is a first pair...

SM:
1. Battle Tree
2. Battle Bufet
3. PokeFinder
4. Festival Plaza missions/ shops
5. Royale
6. Title Defense
7. SOS battles chaining

ORAS:
1. Battle Maison (including Trip and Rotation battles, unlike SM´s Battle Tree which removed those and gave us no replacement for them)
2. Battle Institute (whoever says it is the same as the Battle Maison, hasn´t really played it much, as Battle Institute uses different rules based on HOW you battle, so it is not a copy of the Maison)
3. Battle Court restaurant
4. Contest Spectaculars
5. Super Secret Bases building your own Secret Gym/ daily rematches/ reaching Platinum Rank in Flag Hunting/ daily Join Avenue Style services
6. DexNav chaining/ reaching Platinum rank in every area
7. Pokemon Amie (with 3 minigames, playing faces game and decorating, all features that SM removed for Refresh)
8 Soaring + daily Mirage Spots
9. Pokemon League rematches (on much hugher levels than SM)
10. Trainer´s Eye rematches (62 different battles)
11. Super Training mingames

And I am not even counting the fact that ORAS has a National Dex, Move Teachers, a much bigger postgame Legendary Hunt than SM, a better postgame Episode (Delta), Inverse Battles, Horde Battles, and so on...

But again, I can kinda excuse SM for being somewhat lacking, considering it is a first pair game. However, the fact it has even less than XY is a bit underwhelming.

Adding to this, ORAS also has those much disliked but expansive and optional water routes/dive spots. each crawling with hidden secrets, swimmers, surfing Ace Trainers and scuba divers. There's also a number of side quests which quietly do some world building in the ORAS world all while showing disapproval towards the ideas of both teams in the forms of New and Sea Mauville. And if you read those notes, Sea Mauville gets pretty depressing. On the plus side, the man who had no power becomes XYs Mr. Bonding.
It was a crazy event to watch but the fact they even went and gave the five old guys from RSE a larger role really showed that while there were many elements from the original Gen III games that were cheapened or unfairly given the shaft, there was quite a bit of love in these games. Oh, also there's updating the Trainers Eyes by rematching all registered trainers just to meet their upgraded parties. Good stuff.

XY has the Battle Chateau. Yes, you can access and upgrade that during the game ( I know I did) but it really shows its stuff after beating the game (You can also rematch Gym Leaders here). A couple of places that open up in Lumiose after becoming the champ, a WAAAY better post game story event that makes ORAS jealous and BW say "not bad, you..." (why didn't the main game have this level of narrative?!), better clothing options all around. yes, Calem's broom closet is better than Sun's. I guess finding Berry mutations are fun. Oh yeah, better variety of Pokemon overall and while there wasn't much of them, Kalos Pokemon weren't stupidly rare.

Kalos oddly didn't feel anywhere near as dead as Alola.

For all the crap I gave XY it took SM to realize that outside its horrid main game, it was a fun (and accessible) romp with quite a bit to do all around otherwise (of which, I chose not to do at the time). I actually had to go and repurchase X as a result. It also allowed me to make peace with BW2.

SM were fun games during the story (personally, I felt the story peaked at the second Island and while had its moments afterward [Guzma, Po Town, Hapu becoming Kahuna, Vast Poni Canyon which felt like a Victory Road, last battle with Kukui], steadily went downhill from there), but there was far too many frustrating design and mechanical decisions not to mention shooting a hole in their foot in the one area Pokemon has prided itself on since the very beginning (killed the PSS for the RNG Festival, no Streetpass, hell, even the Global Link which, come Gen VI, players used to show off their achievements, has become a sad shell of its former self) made for mediocre games when its all said and done.

I have Moon (I eventually had to buy it since all the good Ultra Beasts are in that version) but I don't really feel like trudging through all that again. Not for a good long while anyway.

Last edited:
Adding to this, ORAS also has those much disliked but expansive and optional water routes/dive spots. each crawling with hidden secrets, swimmers, surfing Ace Trainers and scuba divers. There's also a number of side quests which quietly do some world building in the ORAS world all while showing disapproval towards the ideas of both teams in the forms of New and Sea Mauville. And if you read those notes, Sea Mauville gets pretty depressing. On the plus side, the man who had no power becomes XYs Mr. Bonding.
It was a crazy event to watch but the fact they even went and gave the five old guys from RSE a larger role really showed that while there were many elements from the original Gen III games that were cheapened or unfairly given the shaft, there was quite a bit of love in these games. Oh, also there's updating the Trainers Eyes by rematching all registered trainers just to meet their upgraded parties. Good stuff.

XY has the Battle Chateau. Yes, you can access and upgrade that during the game ( I know I did) but it really shows its stuff after beating the game (You can also rematch Gym Leaders here). A couple of places that open up in Lumiose after becoming the champ, a WAAAY better post game story event that makes ORAS jealous and BW say "not bad, you..." (why didn't the main game have this level of narrative?!), better clothing options all around. yes, Calem's broom closet is better than Sun's. I guess finding Berry mutations are fun. Oh yeah, better variety of Pokemon overall and while there wasn't much of them, Kalos Pokemon weren't stupidly rare.

Kalos oddly didn't feel anywhere near as dead as Alola.

For all the crap I gave XY it took SM to realize that outside its horrid main game, it was a fun (and accessible) romp with quite a bit to do all around otherwise (of which, I chose not to do at the time). I actually had to go and repurchase X as a result. It also allowed me to make peace with BW2.

SM were fun games during the story (personally, I felt the story peaked at the second Island and while had its moments afterward [Guzma, Po Town, Hapu becoming Kahuna, Vast Poni Canyon which felt like a Victory Road, last battle with Kukui], steadily went downhill from there), but there was far too many frustrating design and mechanical decisions not to mention shooting a hole in their foot in the one area Pokemon has prided itself on since the very beginning (killed the PSS for the RNG Festival, no Streetpass, hell, even the Global Link which, come Gen VI, players used to show off their achievements, has become a sad shell of its former self) made for mediocre games when its all said and done.

I have Moon (I eventually had to buy it since all the good Ultra Beasts are in that version) but I don't really feel like trudging through all that again. Not for a good long while anyway.
Yeah, I mostly agree with you.

But yes, in general, I think with the release of SM, and with its initial excitement slowly fading, I think a lot of fans are starting to appreciate Gen VI a lot more. Mainly because many of XYORAS´s strong points that most people took for granted and didn´t appreciate, have been removed in Gen VII, like Triple and Rotation battles, Inverse Battles, the Battle Institute, Hordes, Super Training, Soaring, DexNav, sitting, PSS and so on. I also wanna add how much more content Amie has over Refresh (3 minigames, the playing faces minigame and decorating).

In general SM feels like the developers trying to teach us a lesson about valuing everything in Gen VI and not taking any feature for granted.

Last edited:
In general SM feels like the developers trying to teach us a lesson about valuing everything in Gen VI and not taking any feature for granted.

More like GF being GF and stumbling upon true gold among their fumbling around showing it off to the masses just for momentary cred and then chucking it aside.

They know they effed up but they always have some back burner excuse like "region exclusive" or "we're always looking to shake things up".

I loved Ora's,and I'm currently replaying x,and it already seems so much larger and more interesting than moon,and I'm only 1 badge in.

I didn't enjoy Gen VI at all and was hoping Moon would help with that. Besides the story, it didn't help at all and just joined X and AS on the shelves. :/

Guess Pokemon on the 3DS really bombed for me. Bring on the Switch! :)

hardly. some of the fans are just fickle, bratty, and greatly prefer finding arbitrary faults (eg., Amie minigames versus no minigames in Refresh) rather than actual issues.

hardly. some of the fans are just fickle, bratty, and greatly prefer finding arbitrary faults (eg., Amie minigames versus no minigames in Refresh) rather than actual issues.
I do agree with this but personally,sun and Moon are the 1st games I dislike and don't wanna replay

Yeah... less content is not an issue. Who wants extra content in a game, right?

Yeah... less content is not an issue. Who wants extra content in a game, right?
except when that "content" is largely just a gating mechanism to prevent you from spamming PokéPuffs, i have a hard time buying it when people are complaining the absence of it. and honestly, case in point: the minigames from Amie, which were largely derided as boring, inconvenient, and repetitive (among other things) and now are suddenly some apex of content worthy of that vaguely malapropist "two steps forward, one step back" quip everyone likes to throw out.

I'm not "over" S&M, but I'm not entirely excited for another play through

1). The story to Sun & Moon is really detailed compared to previous generations, so it's a little overwhelming to play the main game.
2). Post-game content could be better, I wish GF would have came up with something besides another dull Looker mission. I would have preferred smaller side missions that could be repeated that involve characters from other regions. Saving the cameo characters for the Battle Tree kind of blows. Battle Tree is probably my least favorite feature.

I have been very disappointed in these games but that is a story for another thread...
but yeah I'm over it.
After finishing the story and the pokedex there's nothing else. The Battle Tree is no different than the maison, tower, etc before it. No strategy, only hax.
I'm not even motivated to shiny hunt because the lack of hordes, Dexnav and the monstrosity that is the SOS battles just make it seem pointless. The new breeding glitch feels pointless because the way to hatch eggs is so tedious.

I appreciate being able to send eggs to the PC even when I have a full team, but I kinda wish there was a looping road or at least a long route where the screen doesn't have to load. I'm probably sounding lazy, but using the Masuda Method for shiny hatching is so tedious this time because I have to constantly hold the game in my hands. I miss the Lumiose plaza and the Battle Resort. Shiny hunting by hatching eggs is the only thing remotely fun left in the game that doesn't suffer from lag for me, but it's a boring job...

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom