• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Over Sun and Moon

PurplePopplio

Gone again for who knows how long. :/
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Any
So, is anyone else over Sun and Moon like the cow? Does anyone find it boring already and have just shelved it?

Why do you find it boring? Is there another reason for shelving it?

I just feel completely bored with my Moon version. Can't really enjoy the Tree or Royal due to lag. The Plaza isn't very thrilling. And I've completed the Zygarde quest.

Good heavens yes :[ And I feel really disappointed saying that, because the world building, the unique culture, and the characterizations very quickly made Alola a favorite of mine...But once the story is done this game seriously hits the wall to me. Too much was either removed or made worse than what we had in Gen 6, from our wireless communications to Pokemon hunting or outlets for Battle and leveling up, and it generally discourages me from continuing to play. I think feature removal went too far this time. Especially with the PSS.

Last edited:
I generally shelve my games when the story is over. At least this time I have the QR rental teams to look forward to, but I don't know how long my interest will last.

I'm not really engaged in Plaza and even though I only need to minimally level up to use the Bottle Cap exploit, I don't want to bother with the FC system. I'm just waiting for Bank to transfer competitive Pokemon over to Gen VII to use in the battle tree...

Usually I like the Looker-related plots but I don't want to engage the Ultra Beasts since they're basically limited legendaries and I don't yet have the resources (nor do I care to find the resources) for proper SRing.

Well I am evovling and doing Island scans. But I too feel that the game is pretty boring after the main story and Looker quests. :) On a more positive note. I did play for around 30-40 hours before completing the main game, so I think it is worth it.

The main story took me 28 hours, I believe. I guess that's an improvement from previous generations, but I'd shave 2-3 hours for some meandering/retreading on my part.

I'm over 50 hours and still haven't finished the main story yet, so no:p

Also, when I've finished, I'm going to:
  • Complete the Alola Dex
  • Breed and train competitive Pokémon
  • Hunt for Shinies
  • Get the highest rank in Battle Royal
  • Take on the Battle Tree
  • Play Sun (now playing Moon) with a different team
It'll be at least a few more months before I'm bored with this game.

Yeah getting 300 pokemon to fill the Dex is easy,and good facilities for post game.
Disappointing game really,a big step back from oras and xy

Gotta ask though: what exactly did you do after finishing XY and ORAS? Cause there was just as little, if not less to do in those games after beating the story. Sun/Moon is an improvement for me as in that I actually want to play it again, a desire I didn't have with XY and ORAS.

I suppose I am to some extent, but then again, I don't think I'm much of a post-game person in the first place. I prefer to reset the game and go through it with a new team. I replayed the Gen V and Gen VI games countless times doing this and always had lots of fun with those, so I expect it will be similar with Gen VII.

Nevertheless, I do own both Sun and Moon, and I only intend to use my Sun cartridge for resets. Moon is for storage and, eventually, when I feel like it, building up my Festival Plaza and maxing out the Poké Finder.

And for what it's worth, I am trying to pop in for at least a few minutes every day to contribute to the Global Mission.

Last edited:
I'm over 50 hours and still haven't finished the main story yet, so no:p

Also, when I've finished, I'm going to:
  • Complete the Alola Dex
  • Breed and train competitive Pokémon
  • Hunt for Shinies
  • Get the highest rank in Battle Royal
  • Take on the Battle Tree
  • Play Sun (now playing Moon) with a different team
It'll be at least a few more months before I'm bored with this game.

Gotta ask though: what exactly did you do after finishing XY and ORAS? Cause there was just as little, if not less to do in those games after beating the story. Sun/Moon is an improvement for me as in that I actually want to play it again, a desire I didn't have with XY and ORAS.
XY just had more to do as the game went by,to me it seemed bigger.

Oras had so much to do during game,from the battle facilities in various towns, contests,and trick house.
Oras in game and post game is huge compared to sun/moon

Post game on oras I captured all the legendaries,and finished my first Pokedex.

After that I battled both online and at the battle island,used battle pts to teach all my various pokemon cool moves they don't naturally learn,and used them in the other battle facilities,I also trained some with berries just to win all the contests.

Plus I visited the different islands that become available each day while flying around on my latias ( which we can't do in SM )

Even 2 years on I still find oras entertaining...

Battle facilities? XY and ORAS essentially just had the Maison. The Battle Institute was nothing more than a copy, since they never bothered to do anything with its download option. Inverse Battles were limited to a single trainer once per day.

I don't see how the combination of the Battle Tree and Battle Royal is inferior.

Honestly, I got Sun at release and pretty much played it every day until Christmas (which is when I got Moon :p). But I hadn't even finished everything I could do in Sun. I could have done more trading/evolving to fill up my dex, I didn't go to all photo spots to fully upgrade my Poke Finder, I didn't collect all Zygarde Cells (but that was mainly due to a lack of interest), I didn't level my main team to lv. 100, etc.

So yeah I've stopped playing for now, but there's plenty more I could have done. But honestly, I tend to lose interest with most games (including non-Pokemon games) after finishing the main story. I'd rather replay the story over and over since that's what entertains me the most.

ORAS has a lot more content than SM, no matter how we look at it. But that makes sense since ORAS is the "third version" of Gen VI and SM is a first pair...

SM:
1. Battle Tree
2. Battle Bufet
3. PokeFinder
4. Festival Plaza missions/ shops
5. Royale
6. Title Defense
7. SOS battles chaining

ORAS:
1. Battle Maison (including Trip and Rotation battles, unlike SM´s Battle Tree which removed those and gave us no replacement for them)
2. Battle Institute (whoever says it is the same as the Battle Maison, hasn´t really played it much, as Battle Institute uses different rules based on HOW you battle, so it is not a copy of the Maison)
3. Battle Court restaurant
4. Contest Spectaculars
5. Super Secret Bases building your own Secret Gym/ daily rematches/ reaching Platinum Rank in Flag Hunting/ daily Join Avenue Style services
6. DexNav chaining/ reaching Platinum rank in every area
7. Pokemon Amie (with 3 minigames, playing faces game and decorating, all features that SM removed for Refresh)
8 Soaring + daily Mirage Spots
9. Pokemon League rematches (on much hugher levels than SM)
10. Trainer´s Eye rematches (62 different battles)
11. Super Training mingames

And I am not even counting the fact that ORAS has a National Dex, Move Teachers, a much bigger postgame Legendary Hunt than SM, a better postgame Episode (Delta), Inverse Battles, Horde Battles, and so on...

But again, I can kinda excuse SM for being somewhat lacking, considering it is a first pair game. However, the fact it has even less than XY is a bit underwhelming.

Last edited:
Just saying oras has more content cause it's a 3rd version dosent justify the emptiness of SM,were not guaranteed 2nd or 3rd versions of XY or SM.

And even if we get them its paying twice as much for content we could have now.

With the 20th anniversary and a ton of non hardcore fans coming into SM you'd think GF would want their best to shine in SM not put out their weakest entry of the 3ds era

I've basically stopped playing, but that doesn't mean I'm done. I rotate in and out of my games. Currently I feel more like playing animal crossing. That'll get boring eventually and I'll probably pick up Pokémon again. I was in the middle of IV breeding a ribombee and it just got too tedious for me so I stopped.

It almost feels like GF put so much work into the story that they didn't have any time or whatever left for the postgame. They built it up beforehand as this amazing game, but for me, the post game just doesn't deliver.

Almost like the inverse of XY... so much work on the core mechanics and side-features like Amie and ST that the story and post-game were left lacking (except in the singular pocket of post-game story that was the Looker Bureau).

"At least there is symmetry."

Frankly I'm beginning to wonder if "post-game," as we tend to think of it, is even something they're interested in anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they'd decided to move away from it in favor of more interaction-based stuff.

but what I mean is that SM is not a lot more bare bones than any other first pair from previous generations.

Ehh, I'd say it's a good distance behind DP and BW. But I guess those two were the exceptions to the rule.

The only reason I'm even still playing it to this day is to complete the Pokedex. After that, I'll probably be done. I'm not really into shiny hunting, and the process would still take forever even with the shiny charm and Masuda Method.

Just as typical as any standard game where I move on after finishing it.

I've been playimg less. I'm still training some Pokemon and I do want to bring in my Platinum team to take on the Elite 4 again. I still want to battle friends also. Other than that, I've been playing less. The game's post game is kinda bad and the Battle Tree and Battle Royal Dome is far too much of a difficulty spike for casual players. Not much left for me to do.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom