• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Overused and Most Popular Pokemon

Redder

Reaction score
So I'm playing through Crystal and I'm trying to make a team. But! I have a problemo: I like being different for the sake of being different.

Now, that wouldn't be so bad if I had been keeping up with Pokemon... but I quit after Gold and Silver got released.

So yeah. Discuss which Pokemon you think are the most popular and overused. Or if you want, discuss the ones that are ridiculous that everyone stays away from.

-Lucario
-Blaziken
-Piplup
-Blissey
-Garchomp
-Charizard

I honestly don't mind Pikachu because I feel he's ment to be the mascot and therefore is allowed to be showcased often.

As for the underdogs:

-Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape
-Pachirisu
-Starly/Staravia/Staraptor
-Espeon
-Mightyena
-Houndoom
-Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra. Turtwig a little less so and Grotle a little more so, though.

Note I actually like all the Pokemon on the bottom list, I just feel they're underrated.

A hell of a lot of those pokemon weren't around back in the 2nd gen, though, GSC Junkie. And Infernape underused? In the anime, maybe.

I would say for Crystal pokemon to avoid, the main ones would be:
-Blissey
-Skarmory
-Heracross
-Alakazam
-Gengar
-Tyranitar
-Jolteon
-Starmie
-Snorlax

As for pokemon who don't get their due? Hoo boy:
-Houndoom (one of my personal favorite pokemon ever)
-Articuno
-Nidoking
-Nidoqueen
-Pidgeot
-Dodrio
-Arcanine
-and the list goes on and on, to infinity and beyond...

Infernape is far from underated in the competitive community, and Lucario, atleast he lives up to his fame in terms of power hence why he is over-used. Of course, Lucario himself is overused in everything, I mean atleast three important trainers in D/P have a Lucario, he's the only non-legendary guardian of the Tears of Princes and his pre-evolution has its own special mission. Oh yeah and his movie...

...I guess we can just blame this on the popularity of Aura as a whole and Lucario being the only Pokemon that can manipulate it.

Charizard, I wouldn't say he's overused, but definately overrated amongst certain members of the community. Personally, I blame Ash's Charizard for making the species as a whole seem stronger than it really is.

Houndoom definately is a powerful critter to use, though it is overshadowed by Heatran when it comes to Flash Fire.

Now just to stick up for my namesake...Cubone/Marowak are way underrated. They are the only 2 to learn Bone Club, and Bonemerang. Oh, and they are extremely cute.

Also:

-Delibird (flying/ice type)
-Electabuzz
-Diglet/Dugtrio
-Scyther (surprisingly underused)
-Machop/Machoke/Machamp

Porygon2 also needs a bit more credibility. Its like with its evolution, people have completely forgotten about it, especially less experienced battlers. Scyther's saving grace was its speed, however Porygon2 has way more in its arsenal than Scyther compared to Scissor. It retains the ability Trace, and combined with its defensive stats, proves to be a powerful counter to most Pokemon.

Also a friend had used a set with Magic Coat as a leading Pokemon that completely obliterates Baton Pass teams. Unlike PorygonZ who is more on the offensive, Porygon2 is on the defensive.

Oh yea, and PorygonZ's adaptability. It only multiplies the STAB an extra 20%, compared to good prediction along side Download, its nothing. It can pull of a choice scarf set that can also give it a boost in special attack, or a choice specs that essentially gives it a Nasty Plot on the go.

I liked scyther because he has a great amount of speed, and attack stats. He also levels up to learn the moves Slash and Air Slash which are both great when it comes to dealing damage. When you add Sword Dance, Agility, and it's already outrageous speed/attack stats, it makes a great combination.

I actually found a competitive guide to overused and abused pokemon >_>

Apparently Marowak can get the highest attack in the game with Thick Club and Sword Dance... but Cubone's been too integral a part of my team to switch out. Plus, as you said, Cubone's awesome.

I will never understand why people fawn over Lucario and Absol. They're not nearly as strong as people claim, Absol in particular.

Farfetch'd never gets the respect it deserves. Neither does Aerodactyl--that thing's a freakin' BEAST.

I liked scyther because he has a great amount of speed, and attack stats. He also levels up to learn the moves Slash and Air Slash which are both great when it comes to dealing damage. When you add Sword Dance, Agility, and it's already outrageous speed/attack stats, it makes a great combination.

Air Slash is a special move so yeah, and despite its speed its outclassed by Scissor in everything it does. So it has speed, so what? Scissor now has TechnicianSwordsDanceBulletPunch so speed's not an issue, and it trades in that now unnecessary speed for defense. Sure its x4 weak to fire, but that is far less common than rock especially with stealth rock. As a sweeper, Scissor has it beat, and as a baton passer, Scissor has it beat, and you know it can be used to counter other Pokemon like Celebi...

...so yeah, Scyther is underused, but not surprisingly underused as you seem to claim.

I always had Farfetch'd in my team because he's awesome. But I felt like a change of pace on this run. Hitting things with onion sprigs is pretty hard to top.

My problem is that I love using pokemon that most people would consider sub-par. Like Raichu, for instance...admittedly his defense leaves much to be desired, but that's why you have to get in and hit hard and fast.

Also Flareon. I love Flareon. Most people say OMG FLAREON SUCKS WHY WOULD YOU EVEN BOTHER....but Flareon is useable. Not the best option, but useable, if you like Flareon and are determined to have one on your team.

Charizard is way overrated, I say. Its cool, but I like Typhlosion better (Thunderpunch FTW)

What about Lapras or Dewgong? those guys can be unstopable.

Last edited:
What about Lapras or Dewgong? those guys can be unstopable.

Heck yes, Lapras is awesome! I used one not too long ago for competitive battling. People would be like, " Psh...why are you using a Lapras? LOL"

But the tune would change when I beat them. I loved taking out some all-legendary teams with my Lapras.

Yeah! I found lapras to be tricky too, works good on dragons with Ice Beam and its good with surf too. Flareon is underrated to IMO. I got an eveee in FR for first time and thats what I evolved it into, not the other two.

I think Flygon is an underrated dragon. When people say dragons, they usually refer to Salamence, Dragonite or Garchomp. Its good as its a non flying type that can learn fly and also can know dig. Not much pokemon can know both fly and dig like this one. Mine in Sapphire has Flamethrower, Fly, Dig and Dragon Claw.

As for garchomp, its overused, but I don't think overrated, with its high speed, it can do a fair amout of damage to a pokemon before the foe gets to attack.

Absol is good though, it as far as I know has the highest attack stat of any pokemon.

Dig is a crap move for battling, Flygon gets no points for that. Being able to fly and dig at the same time doesn't really mean it should be popular. Screech/U-Turn/Earthquake/Draco Meteor does.

I'd thought since the guy was talking about his Crystal team, we'd only be referring to Gen 1 and 2 pokemon, but I guess not. So here's some more pokemon I believe are seriously underrated:
- Persian. Fast as hell, gets a STAB Slash (which I still find to be a pretty good attack), is now immune to paralysis, and can learn a crapload of different elemental type moves via TM. What's not to love, other than it's defenses?
-Lanturn. Immunities or resistance to Grass, Water, Electric, Fire, STAB Surf AND Thunder(/bolt), and adorable to boot? You just can't get much better than that. Come on, a water type immune to electric without the X4 weakness to grass?
-Luxray. It's stats may not be stellar, but it's a solid and, I find, reliable Electric-type. Unless it's hit with an Earthquake, it tends not to die in one hit like a lot of other electrics do, and it can deliver some pretty respectable damage back.
-Absol. I know Blackjack considers it to be overrated, but I only find that to be true in the anime, and even then, you don't see it all that often any more. With an attack stat like that...I really want to use one on a competitive team, now.
-Linoone. Two words, my friend: Belly Drum.

I think Flygon is an underrated dragon. When people say dragons, they usually refer to Salamence, Dragonite or Garchomp. Its good as its a non flying type that can learn fly and also can know dig. Not much pokemon can know both fly and dig like this one. Mine in Sapphire has Flamethrower, Fly, Dig and Dragon Claw

I have a level 48/49 Flygon in Sapphire. It helped me beat Liza and Tate along with Combusken

Torterra. Mine has Earthquake, which helps me ALOT. It also helped me defeat the Elite 4 and finished off Cynthia for me in Pearl

I think one of the most overused Pokemon is Bashamo/Blaziken. Everyone chooses that thing as their starter. Personally, I prefer Jukain/Sceptile, even if I don't like grass-types. I think fire-type starters, in general, are very overused. Like Hitokage/Charmander and Hikozaru/Chimchar. However, I admit to always getting Hitokage as my starter in FireRed, Red, Blue, et cetera.

Another overused Pokemon is definitely Biriridama, and it's simply for its Explosion attack.

Pokemon that deserve more credit definitely include Kamonegi/Farfetch'd. Kamonegi is teh pwn. Uindie/Arcanine is another that doesn't get enough credit, just like Garura/Kangaskhan. All three of those Pokemon are great. I don't see why they're never really used.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom