• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Overused Story Lines

Pidgeot

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Which overused story lines really bug you/strike as odd?

I think the story of a Pokemon wanting to love the opposite gendered Pokemon but needing help from the 'twerps' has been used too much. First it was Butterfree, then two Nidoran, Totodile (with Azumarill), then Volbeat and Illumise, then Donphan, then Piplup/Marill/Elekid, then Cottonee.

Rivalry between two different Pokemon from the same evolutionary line (Vileplume/Bellossom, Huntail/Gorebyss, the Eevee brothers, probably some others I'm missing) that is extremely shallow that the twerps feel the need to interfere with to get both sides to stop the hatin' and feel the love.

That appears to be the alternative route if they don't want to do the aforementioned love stories between Pokemon that are closely related if not directly. And both routes usually end up being boring as sin.

Probably the love stories. Another one that's been played out quite often, though I'm not necessarily calling it bad, is the "abandoned Pokemon gone rebel" one, like Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Snivy, just to name some of the more prominent ones.

A trainer appears in a new land, earns new badges, and goes to the championship. :p

Seriously, I can't believe no one said it, LOL.

How about, "Ash and co. meet a COTD" then they "help the COTD for whatever problem they have" then finally "They never see the COTD again (even when they say they'll meet each other again sometime)"

Anti-Social Gym leaders redeemed by Ash.
Sabrina, Pryce, Volkner, Honorable mention to Pike Queen Lucy.
Once every regionset TM.
WHYWHYWHY!!!

A Pokemon that doesn't like the trainer until TR kidnaps it and the trainer heroically rescues it or dives in the way
of an impending attack. Cue emotional facial expression from said Pokemon, and everybody's friends.

Or a Pokemon that appears to be causing trouble, but it's later revealed that its actions are for a noble cause.

- Pokemon of different species and different gender fall in love with one another.
- Ash getting his badges stolen at least once every single region.
- TRio disbanding temporarily and solving their problems in the end.
- Ash befriending a wild pokemon, saving that pokemon from the likes of TRio, and "catching" it in the end.

Ash crossdressing. I mean, ugh. Once is enough, but every region? Come on...
Nah, JK I love crossdressing Ash ;3

Uhh...Pre-evolved pokemon proving itself to be better than their evolved counterpart/not wanting to evolve >_>

A group of pokemon's home is being invaded, and they are too helpless to do anything until Satoshi and friends come along.

A Pokemon that doesn't like the trainer until TR kidnaps it and the trainer heroically rescues it or dives in the way
of an impending attack. Cue emotional facial expression from said Pokemon, and everybody's friends.
Optional: The pokémon then evolves and saves the day, everyone is now friends and the twerps go on their merry way while the trainer and his newly evolved pokémon wave goodbye.

Team Rocket: "Oh look, it's the twerps. Lucky we're wearing the thinnest of disguises, otherwise we'd be rumbled."

demotivational-posters-disguises.jpg

Picture says it all.

Also, "Oh yay, we caught Pikachu. Instead of making a hasty escape, lets just walk away, maybe float away feebly in our balloon."

I've got another.
Pokemon always being caught at the END of an episode. I mean, I know it's for character development and realizing the bond between the trainer and the Pokemon, but it seems to always come at the direct end of an episode.

Once upon a time, Ash met a COTD/Leader/etc.

They had a problem, or wanted to battle.

Ash battled or solved the problem then O NOEZ TR!

TR has mech money but then COTD Pokemon/Pika/Ash's newest catch defeats them.

BLAST OFF!

Ash never sees COTD again.

Or the gym leader episode.

Ash is battling gym leader he probably met as a COTD last episode.

Lots of attacks.

Underground TR is digging.

They always hit a water line or dig up too far and get pwnd.

Ash Wins!

(Or he loses but rematches next episode)

Twerp Pokemon gets sick/Poisoned/Paralysed/Overcharged.
Cue entire episode spent looking for herbs/medicine/jumper cables.
Yaaaaawn...

All of Ash's fire starters having either been abused, were going to be abused or have been abandoned by their previous trainer. I literally had no sympathy for Tepig's backstory, it made me roll my eyes and scoff instead.

Aside from already mentioned:

1. Giant Pokemon episode. Examples being the Kanto eps with Tentacruel and the fake robot island, the giant Claydol ep from AG, the giant Caterpie ep from BF, there were others too

2. Pokemon daycare episode with a teacher and kids. My god, how many times has this been done? What's worse is the writers usually recycle the same character designs for all the kids...so they always look the same.

3. Electric pokemon builds up too much electricity in its cheeks and gets sick. Happened to Pikachu at the start of Hoenn, again in DP, and happened to Pachirisu.

4. Museum episode. Again, how many times has this been done? Most recent examples include the Gardenia ep in Sinnoh and the Aloe ep in BW.

5. Restoring fossil pokemon to life, and then finding out fossil pokemon weren't extinct in the first place. LMAO, nearly every fossil poke debut follows this formula.

Last but not least:

6. Ash meets and befriends some trainer right before the league, usually who he loses to, (Richie/Harrisson.Tyson). They didn't do it with Tobias though...he was such a plot device they didn't even waste an ep on him.

3. Electric pokemon builds up too much electricity in its cheeks and gets sick. Happened to Pikachu at the start of Hoenn, again in DP, and happened to Pachirisu.
That also happens in Season one on Sparks Fly for Magnemite.

The whole Romeo & Juliet story (IE: Lights, Camera, Quacktion!; Wherefore art thou, Pokemon?; an episode in Hoenn [They even call the characters Romeo & Juliet XD] etc.)

Ash leaving all his Pokemon at Oak's, He goes to the next region (or at least tries to) with ONLY Pikachu, something happens to Pikachu, Pikachu runs off, Ash has to find it without the help of his other pokemon...

Do fishing episodes count? I know its based on the games, but they do fishing-type episodes every so often.

Pokemon racing episodes in the same manner, although this doesn't count as they're all fairly different than one another.

Angie was basically the same thing as Anabel. A tomboyish girl with a crush on Ash...she was basically a repeat of Anabel's storyline.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom