• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Palletshipping

I've never read an AlmostStraightShipping fic before but this was hilarious! And adorable, the way it ended. Bahahaha; definitely Palletshippy enough for me. I loved Delia's reaction to Ashley as well xD

Sadly, I'm not surprised that you haven't seen a whole of AlmostStraightShipping stories, because quite frankly, that's one of the few I've been able to track down. It's not too difficult finding fan art of it (though even there, it's rarely referred to as AlmostStraightShipping), but fan fiction? Not so much. But the reason I find this to be such a huge shame is because I am positive that the concept of the ship alone has the potential to lead to some incredible stories and have been for some time. But what really made me as certain about this as I am was when I stumbled upon this fanfic prompt on tumblr a while back:

Hiding in the Substrate - Palletship/Courting/Crossdresser!Ash Fic Prompt

I knew immediately that in the hands of the right person, that prompt could lead to an incredible story, perhaps even powerful and touching. But while I dabble in fan fiction myself, I'm hesitant to take up the challenge myself at the moment for a few reasons. First of all, these days I have barely enough time to write fan fiction in general, even after deciding to limit myself to one ongoing story and the occasional oneshot. Second, I have yet to write a piece of either Pokemon or crossdressing fanfiction, and I'd like to get some practice in those areas before trying this one. But at the same time, if someone else were to tackle this prompt and produce a great story from it before I'm able to myself, I sure won't be complaining. But until either happens, I'll just keep spreading the word about this prompt in the hopes that it reaches an author who is willing and able to do it justice.

I really like the idea of that prompt; I'm in a similar position as you; I feel like I would like to attempt a response to that prompt but I've never written any fan fiction whatsoever (though I wish to do a Palletshipping one someday). Do you know if anybody has responded or shown interest yet? I'd definitely like to see that; it could turn out to be one of my favorite fics yet, who knows!

I read somewhere a while back of someone wishing to incorporate some aspects of the prompt in a story of their own, but that's it as of now. How about you? Do you know anyone who you think be interested in trying this prompt out?

Sadly I don't know many Palletshippers myself so I'm afraid I don't....I'll have to branch out and look around, keeping that in mind :3

Guess we'll just have to spread the word about this prompt for now. If anything new happens in regards to it, though, let's make sure to inform one another as soon as possible.

The prompt does sound quite interesting. I hope someone writes a fanfic about it. And I had read that fic called 'Ashley's Dillema' before. Lol, it's super fluffy.

Just wondering, is Almoststraightshipping only about Ash cross-dressing or could it be about Gary cross-dressing as well? Because I've never seen any fics for the later, and Gary in a drag would be totally cute.

I've never seen anything involving Gary in drag. Now that would be something fierce! Because there's no way Gary could not be beautiful xD

I've never seen anything involving Gary in drag. Now that would be something fierce! Because there's no way Gary could not be beautiful xD

Yeah, I have always seen fics where Ash crossdresses, but never saw anything like that for Gary. I think it would be really funny and cute though.
And your signature is really nice. It's one of my favorite Palletshippy scene from the anime.

About the details of AlmostStraightShipping...well, to my knowledge and understanding, AlmostStraightShipping is specifically Gary with Ash while the latter is dressed as he was in the episode "Pokemon Scent-sation!" If it's Gary with Ash in one of his other canon female personas, it seems that it's considered to be a separate ship, even if it has yet to be given a shipping name. Admittedly, I don't have concrete proof for this, just some things I've observed. For example, on sites such as pixiv, there's a tag that is equivalent AlmostStraightShipping (シゲサトコ, or Shigesatoko), but there are is also a tag for pairing Gary with the red-haired Ashley (シゲサトミ, or Shigesatomi). In addition, on the shipping list, anytime one of Ash's female alter ego's comes up, there are distinctions about which one is involved in which ship. But once again, these are just what I'm basing my own conclusions on. Whether or not this is indisputable fact, I cannot say.

I guess what I am trying to say is that in order for something to qualify as AlmostStraightShipping, all that's required is that Gary and Ash are being shipped, and that Ash must be dressed as he was when he was trying to sneak into the Celadon City Gym. Nothing has been established one way or another as to whether Gary can be in drag as well.

Ah. I'm thinking that between what you've said and the fact that nothing really came up when I searched for "Gary Oak in drag" (except for one fairly disturbing drawing), there probably isn't much of a fandom or a ship for that. I guess between the two of them, if one was to be in drag, I'd say it would be Ash but I'm not sure what it is off of which I'm basing that xD

Now that it's been mentioned, though, Gary and Ash would make a fierce drag power couple xD bahahaha.

And your signature is really nice. It's one of my favorite Palletshippy scene from the anime.
Thank you! It's probably one of the shippiest moments for Ash and Gary and that's why I love it so much xD The Johto league was definitely the peak of Palletshipping.

Last edited:
Hey, I just read somewhere that apparently the 4th of April is Palletshipping day. Is that really true, or is it a rumour? And if it's true, does anyone know the reason behind it? I mean, did an extremely Palletshippy episode aired for the first time on that day or something?

Hey, I just read somewhere that apparently the 4th of April is Palletshipping day. Is that really true, or is it a rumour? And if it's true, does anyone know the reason behind it? I mean, did an extremely Palletshippy episode aired for the first time on that day or something?

It's because 4 is pronounced as Shi in Japanese. 4/4 would be ShiShi - a.k.a., Shigeru/Satoshi or Satoshi/Shigeru. So yay for Palletshipping

Ermagherdness, that's this Friday! I should take the day off work and read Palletshipping Fics and watch AMVs all day.

Ok, that'll never happen (I wish I could get away with that). But still, that's exciting! xD

I'd say I'd celebrate by making a Palletshippy forum theme but I'm kind of there already lol

It's because 4 is pronounced as Shi in Japanese. 4/4 would be ShiShi - a.k.a., Shigeru/Satoshi or Satoshi/Shigeru. So yay for Palletshipping
Wow, that's quite creative. And seriously, when I first found out about the Palletshipping day, I thought that it was some sort of April fool's joke. But I am so glad to know that the day actually exists and it seems like there was a lot of thinking and creativeness behind selection of the day. And yeah, yay for Palletshipping!

Aah so Palletshipping day is tomorrow! I spent a lot of my evening yesterday watching Palletshipping AMVs on youtube because I was all excited xD

And at work today I started to write a fic to be posted tomorrow...except it's nothing that special and I don't think I'll get it done in time xD Oh well. Still, it's exciting hahaha

Aah so Palletshipping day is tomorrow! I spent a lot of my evening yesterday watching Palletshipping AMVs on youtube because I was all excited xD

And at work today I started to write a fic to be posted tomorrow...except it's nothing that special and I don't think I'll get it done in time xD Oh well. Still, it's exciting hahaha

Hey, it's finally fourth of April, so Happy Palletshipping Day to you and all other palletshippers who read this post. :)
And are you really writing a fic for them? Because that's great! I was thinking of writing a fanfic too, but after staring at my laptop screen blankly for more than an hour, and not getting the slightest bit of inspiration, I just gave it up.
Besides, I am crap at writing romantic fics, so it would have turned out to be quite weird anyways. :sweatlol:

I kind of gave up on the fic lol I got stuck at where the battle scene would have been T_T

But next year...I'll plan a little further ahead ;) And one of my favorite fics has TWO new chapters today! And also the girl who wrote advice released a new story and a new chapter in another story! It's a good day. I have no plans this Friday night so I'm going to catch up on these fics, listen to songs I've discovered through Palletshipping AMVs, and just chill and ship away xD

Annnnnd making my GLORIOUS return~

Question:

Why is it so uncommon for people to picture Ash as the dominant party in Palletshipping, espcially considering his game counterpart, Red, is seen as dominant more then half the time when it comes to the parallel pairing involving him and Male!Green?

I ask because *coughthat'swhatI'msointorightnowcoughhack* most fanfiction/fanart depicts Ash as the extremely submissive party. I get that it could be because he's a bit dense and therefore might have to be guided along as the inexperienced party, but Ash's still pretty brash and brazen. I could see the two of them fighting over who wore the pants, but I can see Ash overpowering Gary physically more then I can the other way around. Ash's had more physical training over the years then Gary has that we've seen, so his physical strength is probably quite a bit above Gary's. That's not to say if he DID assert physical dominance that he'd know what to do afterwards (LOL), but I don't think he'd just roll over and take anything, either.

Thoughts? I dunno, the idea is just so nice~

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom