• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Palletshipping

Annnnnd making my GLORIOUS return~

Question:

Why is it so uncommon for people to picture Ash as the dominant party in Palletshipping, espcially considering his game counterpart, Red, is seen as dominant more then half the time when it comes to the parallel pairing involving him and Male!Green?

I ask because *coughthat'swhatI'msointorightnowcoughhack* most fanfiction/fanart depicts Ash as the extremely submissive party. I get that it could be because he's a bit dense and therefore might have to be guided along as the inexperienced party, but Ash's still pretty brash and brazen. I could see the two of them fighting over who wore the pants, but I can see Ash overpowering Gary physically more then I can the other way around. Ash's had more physical training over the years then Gary has that we've seen, so his physical strength is probably quite a bit above Gary's. That's not to say if he DID assert physical dominance that he'd know what to do afterwards (LOL), but I don't think he'd just roll over and take anything, either.

Thoughts? I dunno, the idea is just so nice~

Physically, possible. Like the idea XD I've never thought of Ash to be the dominant one, but I can imagine something like how he is still dense that Gary still has to teach him. There are plenty of other fics based on the dominant one being dense/stupid (which are cute in a way), wynaut one for Palletshipping XD

I could see them going either way, really. I do find Ash more easily fitting into the submissive role maybe less for physical reasons than personality/maturity differences. But I could see them both going either way...maybe because that's my ideal relationship and they're perfect in my eyes xD

Glad to see there are still others hanging around~

Anyone have any personal head-cannons for Palletshipping? Little quirks and such?

I'm always happy when this thread has activity; I only joined this forum last fall but Palletshipping is one of the reasons I joined xD Just discovered it was a thing fairly recently, as it is.

As for headcanons probably have plenty but nothing too unusual, I suppose xD I'll see what I come up with/feel like sharing :p

Personal Headcanon for Palletshipping? Eh, well, I have always liked to imagine that Gary would be often sending postcards to Ash, like he did during Battle Frontier. And whenever Ash is feeling depressed because of loosing a battle or something, he must be looking at Gary's postcards or that half a pokeball so that he feels motivated again.
Not to mention Gary would be writing quite romantic poems for his 'Ashy Boy' in those postcards. :p
Stupid headcanon, but yeah I like to think like that. :)

I like that and can certainly agree. Also during his rivalries with Tripp and Paul, I can't help but imagine that he is/should be comparing them to Gary unfavorably xD

I'll be extremely disappointed if Gary doesn't pop up in the Kalos arc. There's prime ground for it, since Serena and Ash's connection was meeting at Prof. Oak's summer camp one year. You can't tell me GARY wasn't there, of all people. Throw us a bone already! I don't think I need to add that Kalos is based on France, and France is known for being...romantic?~

Postcard sending is adorable, btw. I could totally see that being a thing. They need to contact each other more.

Anyone find any new Palletshipping fanfiction? It's pretty rare, now-a-days.

There is one more reason for them to make Gary appear in Kalos. Apparently, Professor Sycamore was a student of Professor Rowan and learned a lot about evolutions from him. So they can show something like Rowan sends Gary to Kalos to help his ex-student in some sort of research or something.
It would be actually great if Gary pops up in Lumiose city when Ash returns their for his fifth badge. Because Lumiose city is apparently based on Paris and eh, it would be really cool to see Ash and Gary strolling around Lumiose while Clemont, Serena and Bonnie make preparations for his gym battle at the prism tower.

I would LOVE to see Gary in the Kalos arc and probably will only watch if he's reported to appear xD I think all of the reasons stated so far are valid reasons to see Gary appear. In addition, I'd mentioned before that someone in one of the Lumiose Pokemon Centers in X/Y mentions Gary (or Blue, rather). Might not mean anything given the differences between anime and game but it's something!

As for Palletshipping fics, there's an amazing/epic sort of one called Footsoldiers that just recently ended and the author is now starting another fic called Bygones which so far shows potential for equal wonderfulness. There's also an author who's written...like, 4 Palletshipping fics recently. Forget her name on fanfiction but among the titles are "Advice" and "Before I Die".. There are others out there that I need to check out as well xD

I would LOVE to see Gary in the Kalos arc and probably will only watch if he's reported to appear xD I think all of the reasons stated so far are valid reasons to see Gary appear. In addition, I'd mentioned before that someone in one of the Lumiose Pokemon Centers in X/Y mentions Gary (or Blue, rather). Might not mean anything given the differences between anime and game but it's something!

As for Palletshipping fics, there's an amazing/epic sort of one called Footsoldiers that just recently ended and the author is now starting another fic called Bygones which so far shows potential for equal wonderfulness. There's also an author who's written...like, 4 Palletshipping fics recently. Forget her name on fanfiction but among the titles are "Advice" and "Before I Die".. There are others out there that I need to check out as well xD

Stormynight55 is the author of 'Footsoldiers' and 'Bygones', I follow her on Tumblr (and she follows me back I could just die~). She's fantastic. I'm interested in this other author you speak of, though.

So there are tons of reasons Gary could end up in Kalos in order to meet up with Ash for an episode or two, but then again, I'm pretty sure there were plenty of them in Unova, and he never appeared, which was extremely disappointing. Guess we just have to hold out hope. We've been a strong crew for this ship for a long time, we can weather this!

I'm writing my own fanfiction in the mean time. The problem is that it has a setting in a series I and another person made, so it'll be impossible for others to read and understand. Ah well. I get a gold sticker for trying, right?

Ooh is Stormynight55 a she? For some reason I thought he was a gay boy like myself xD But either way, that person produces wonderful work. And I love her/his tumblr as well xD she followed me back also which was awesome…even though I never post on my tumblr XD. ChiiRyeeBiee is the other author I mentioned; I like her work a lot as well and she has like 4 Palletshipping fics.

Hmm yeah I wasn’t as into Pokemon/Palletshipping back in the Unova days so I didn’t think about what reasons there may be there. But yes, all we can do is hold out hope we’ll see him. We better…Ash’s other rivals are lame and we need Gary to appear just…so many reasons why xD

Ooh, even if I wouldn’t understand it I’d be interested to see it! Keep us posted!

Oh my gosh, I knew this thread would make a comeback today. Good thing I turned notifications on for it... I didn't lose hope! XD

Yes, the squeezy handhold nearly killed me. I actually joked with a friend for ages leading up to this episode that they'd have their obligatory handshake at the end, but I didn't think they would put SO much emphasis on it this time around.

Gary trying to get Gou to back off for the entire episode was great (and hilarious) of course - but on the flipside, I also noticed that Ash just would NOT get out of his personal space to begin with. Putting a hand on him to introduce him, looking over Gary's shoulder at his phone...

And then at the end, saying behind his back that "he can never be honest about how he feels", which makes him all flustered?! Geez!! ;_;

I could go on and on about everything else that happened (like, Gary has still been checking up on him and his Pokémon in the meantime, he was the first one to step in on the battle because Ash was in danger, blah blah blah etc.)... but the last thing I'll say for now is that I'm just really happy that their two halves of the Poké Ball got acknowledged again, via that flashback to EP270. I really wasn't expecting it to be referenced, and the fact that they both still remember that (and are probably still holding onto it!) even now is really sweet. :bulbaLove:

It’s my favourite ship and one of the first ships I’ve ever shipped <3

Since Christmas is coming soon, here’s my pencil drawing, nothing special and quite a cliché…
Ano_DSC02176.JPG

Since Christmas is coming soon, here’s my pencil drawing, nothing special and quite a cliché…
I wish I could put a reaction on this post twice :bulbaLove::bulbaLove: the way you draw them both is so cute!

---

Also, in the interest of keeping this thread alive (and the fact that it just needs to be here) I'm sure you're all aware of this (somehow) official artwork that surfaced from Animedia back in May...
SPOILER_unknown.png

just standing together platonically with some roses and tuxedos, nbd :wynaut:
There was also this interview with Yuko Kobayashi (the voice of Shigeru) that went along with it, which was some very... interesting insight LOL.

...in the interest of keeping this thread alive
What a good idea <3 So... Good palletshipping fanfics? I've read some, but I can't find more... ...

There was also this interview with Yuko Kobayashi
Yes, I know <3 It's super sweet (when you interpret it "correctly"...) :bulbaLove: :bulbaLove:

It's finally April 3 here in my timezone, so... happy Palletshipping day you guys :bulbaLove:

For those unaware, 4/3 is celebrated as such in the JP fanbase, because in goroawase the 4 can be read as "shi", and 3 as "sa" - standing for Shigeru and Satoshi.

no, I can't come in to work today, it's a national holiday...

Omg I had left this site but all those Gary episodes in Galar made me wanna return lol. Anyways, I am so happy about Gary getting screentime in Journeys again. That Moltres episode was pure gold. And I loved how Ash was trying to explain to Goh that Gary is a good person in that Articuno episode. He is so defensive of his cute boyfriend.

I love how this ship is so beautiful, precious, cute, canon and has so much amazing development.

Just stopping by (again) to say: Today marks the 20th anniversary of EP266, "A Claim to Flame!". It first aired twenty years ago today on September 19th, 2002.
unknown.png
It's an important episode that I know a lot of us are fond of, so I thought it was a milestone worth mentioning :enzap:

Sooo... I hate to double-post, but... how about that final episode last week? How's everyone feeling? (And is it safe to say yet that we won? lmfao)

But seriously, I just need to talk about this...
fec183c997ef2839edcc7ce5938204c6.jpg

...because if I don't, I think I'll freakin' explode.

Just how bittersweetly perfect is it, that after being his first rival as a Trainer, spurring him on to challenge the Johto League, motivating him to visit the Sinnoh region, after everything... even at the very end, Gary was the one who encouraged Ash to keep going one last time? It ended up being his words that inspired him to realize what his dream really meant. :cry:

I'll admit I was worried about how all this might turn out (especially after watching several other pairings of mine get the cold shoulder, lol) — but with the open ending we got, I probably couldn't think of something more fitting for the two of them as a farewell. In retrospect, it seems so obvious! Isn't that what their friendship was built off of? But something like this, a symbol of how important they really are to each other as the story closes... it just breaks my heart into a million little pieces. In a good way, I think.

Of course, since it's all over now, I get the feeling this might be the last thing to talk about here for quite some time. Lookin' on the bright side, though, now we have the freedom to headcanon to our hearts' content! And all the time in the world to reminisce.
Let's all just hope that they caught up to each other someday after they both left, yeah?

Back
Top Bottom