• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: Paradigm Shift: Atonement (β)

P
Created at
Index progress
Complete

A decade after the Pokemon arrive on Earth, a former Children of Earth member, seeking redemption, joins a Pokemon rescue team. The nature of the work will leave not just her combat skills tested, but also her belief that the Pokemon were unfailing responsible for the damage done to her home as well.
Reaction score
  • Mentions of Violence/Pokemon death. No explicit details are shown.

Vivian flicked her tail against the sandy floor of her office in Unakite Town. It wasn’t a mess, per se, but it wasn’t too organized either; her crude desk was smothered under the weight of whatever knick-knacks she’d accumulated over the past decade.

An iron thorn,slightly rusted with age, lay on the table. She’d left a plastic cup filled with various different kinds of pens, including human-made ballpoints for any who passed through. A stack of forms was on the left side of her desk.

Pulling desk duty was her least favorite part of her job due to how boring it was. She’d much rather fly around getting some training in instead of standing or hovering behind a desk.

A sharp pain assaulted her wings, and she took it as a sign to let herself down and fold them behind her back. Strain on one’s muscles was not fun no matter who or what they were.

She’d probably have to eat way more than usual tonight. That extended hovering had burned a lot of calories; that she was certain of.

The sound of footsteps drove her out of her thoughts. A human stood there in front of her, a shotgun slung across her back. Now that was odd. Few humans came around unless they needed Pokemon for hire.

She inhaled, making the human tense up slightly. The breath was let out slowly and carefully. Putting on her best professional demeanor, she asked, “What can I do for you?”

“I’d like to join a rescue or exploration team,” the human replied. She had clipped her hair short; Vivian noticed; and wore a simple navy blue jumpsuit.

Vivian resisted the urge to laugh at this human. She probably wouldn’t last a second against most Mons, including her. Instead she leaned forward to look at her. “Are you sure?” When the human nodded, she handed over a few forms written in Unown. It was similar enough to English to be partially comprehensible at least between both species.

As she took the now-completed forms back, she asked, “So why join a team? You know, you can actually sign up as a caravan guard. It's human-oriented. More your style.”

“I’m good at fighting against Pokemon.” The human hesitated. From the name on the forms, her name was Becky Werini.

Vivian flicked her tail absentmindedly. “I see. In what way, may I ask? Most humans aren’t that good unless they are ex-police or something. Were you deployed during the initial Shift?”

“In a way, yes.” Becky replied. She hesitated. “I was… Children of Earth. Six-year club, left due to… legal stuff.”

A scowl formed on Vivian’s face as “Children of Earth” was mentioned. She bared her fangs at the human in an unmistakably hostile manner. “So that’s why. I guess your people finally got around to punishing you as they should’ve. Guess you’re only doing this because they made you.”

“Are all you civilized ‘Mons this high and mighty? I’ve fought nastier things than you.”

Vivian rolled her eyes as she stamped the forms and filed them away, her professionalism returning. “You’ll get a Rescue Team starter set in a few days. Check your mail.”

A scowl formed on Becky’s – no, the human’s – face as she turned and left. Meanwhile, Vivian returned to her work, half-listening as the sound of a vehicle engine touched her antennae.

Considering the fact that that human was armed, it was probably for the best she held her tongue. A scene was the last thing she wanted to deal with.

She glanced at the clock. It was going to be a long day.

Becky dropped her things, including her shotgun, off in her apartment in Gisbourne. Being so close to Melbourne had its advantages; she hadn’t had to uproot her whole life to get here. Still, she’d rather leave her old home behind; too many bad memories plagued her there. Leaving her wallet and phone in her pockets, she left to go for a walk. Driving her car was better reserved for long-distance travel: gas prices had gone up like crazy during the Shift. Hell, America had a couple refineries destroyed, resulting in a gas storage. She shuddered to think what the people living there experienced.

The humid air made her industrial jumpsuit stick to her like a second skin. It was better than being fried by elemental beings at least.

The nearby city park was far different from what she’d seen years ago - one would note the cries of normal Earth animals had been replaced with the cries of Pokemon. Civilized ‘Mons were seen wearing simple scarves and satchels, going about their daily business.

Becky, meanwhile, knelt down near the memorial at the park’s center. The memorial contained the names of all the humans who had died in Gisbourne during the Shift; this one was much shorter than the one at Melbourne. She wondered whether to be relieved, sad, or angry.

“Hey, you alright?’ The voice to her left snapped her out of her thoughts, and she looked around. It belonged to a Raichu with light-blue eyes and a surfboard-like tail. A cyan bandanna was wrapped around its upper left forearm.

“It’s nothing,” Becky replied. “Frankly I wonder why you civilized ‘Mons come here instead of going to Melbourne.”

“Endless concrete jungles aren’t my thing,” the Raichu replied. At least, she thought it was a Raichu; she hadn’t bothered to keep up with Bulbapedia that often. “Here, it’s small. Lots of trees and parks to just relax in.”

“Do you miss anyone?” Becky looked at the memorial again. “It wasn’t really fair for all these people to die.”

“I lost my family; they’re probably stuck back home wondering if I’ll ever come back.”

“That sucks,” Becky replied. “I wonder what your world is like. Right now I don’t know what will happen in the future… but at least I’m in my forties.” Ignoring the Raichu’s blank stare, she continued, “Once I’m old or dead, all my children will know is a world populated by Pokemon. I’m glad the children here still remember the old world.”

The Raichu just shrugged and walked away in response, leaving Becky alone.

Becky’s package came in the mail a few days later. She carefully took it into the house and cut it open with scissors.

A little badge of gold and ruby was lying in the box. The design reminded her of a Pokeball with wings. She took off her old CoE badge and replaced it with the new badge. Beside it was a rolled-up map, seemingly made of parchment; she picked it up. Nothing happened when she looked at it, and it resisted every attempt she made to write on it. Puzzled, she put it on the table.

The last item was a sturdy leather-and-canvas bag, seemingly sized to fit a human. She put it on, appreciating its sturdy yet simple construction.

In moments, Becky opened her gun safe to get her shotgun and ammo. A first aid kit went into the bag, as did a few MRE packets and water bottles. Her lighter and knife also were dropped in.

The last few items were a taser made from an old disposable camera and a glaive consisting of a machete blade bolted to a wooden dowel. As she dropped them in before heading out, barely able to contain her excitement, she hoped her weapons still worked.

The inside of the guild hall, Becky noticed, had a variety of different seats and tables to accommodate different Pokemon body styles. She sat down in a smaller chair designed for human-sized Pokemon, and waited.

Vivian came out of a nearby office after a few minutes. “There you are.”

Becky gave a nod. “I’d like to ask a few questions if you don’t mind.”

“Sure.”

Becky held out the rolled up parchment. “What’s this? I’m sure it’s more than a piece of parchment.”

“Wonder Map,” Vivian replied. “It helps you find your way in a dungeon. Right now; it’s not useful.” She looked at the badge. “Pin that on your clothes; your jacket will do.”

Becky did as she was instructed. “So… is there a start date for this? Or are you accepting jobs now?”

Vivian nodded. “We’ve got a few jobs round here. For example; there’s some hostile “Outlaw Pokemon” causing trouble. I’ll start you off with an easy one.” She pointed to a notice pinned on the board. Like the myriad of other notes, it was written in Unown. “A Helioptile from a nearby Pokemon settlement got cornered by a bunch of Sandile. They’re somewhere in the Mirage Oasis. Third floor.”

Becky frowned as she listened to Vivian. “Will I be taking on this job alone?” Despite fighting Pokemon for almost a decade, there was something to be said when the Children of Earth refused to tangle extensively with ground-types.

“If you’ll be so willing; I wouldn’t mind having you join my team. Heh. It’s called ‘Team Uproar’ for lack of a better term…”

“Might as well,” Becky replied. “So who’s the other members?”

“Est should be here… Ugh, he’s probably up to no good.” At Vivian’s remark, a Moferno barreled out of a nearby room. He brightened upon seeing Becky. “Another human! Mon, we don’t get to see much of them these days! Is she here to ask for help?”

“Est,” Vivian snapped. “Stop talking. This is Becky, she’ll be helping us with a mission now that she’s applied to join our team.”

“She’s here to help us!?” Est’s tone was incredulous. “We’ve never really worked with humans before.”

“Like I said,” Vivian replied. “This will go smoothly if you two do what I say. Clear?”

“Crystal,” Becky replied. She noticed Est nodding in response.

“Good.” Vivian replied. “Follow me.”

The trip to the destination was fairly uneventful. That was a bad sign for Becky. Things always went wrong when things went by without a hitch. It was one of her supposed unspoken laws of the universe.

“Here we are,” Vivian said. “Once we go in and find them, just touch your badges to the client and we’ll be out.”

Becky felt a wrenching sensation as the rift teleported them in. She looked down, relieved to note that her gear was still with her - and that she was still human. That was a relief.

Wandering around, a few Sandslash accosted them. Est hung back while Vivian knocked one down for the count with a point-blank Dragon Breath.

Buckshot ammo tore through a line of two Sandslash as if they were nothing more than tissue paper. Becky grinned, remembering days gone past - before a cacophony of deafening screechs filled the air.

Five Sandslash, looking very angry about their deceased friends came into view from their burrows. Sand, summoned from nothing more than air, scratched at their faces. As Becky struggled to bring her gun to bear, the Sandslash pack launched their attack. Claws raked into the thick leather of her fireproof welding jacket, mercifully unable to reach her flesh.

Est was trying to throw one of the hostile Pokemon off him, judging by the sounds he was making. It was then Vivian drove her scaly fists into the ground, slamming the hostile Sandslash into the nearby walls where they laid, unmoving. The sand disappeared not long after.

“Let’s go!” she yelled. No one had to be told twice.

Becky sipped some water from her canteen as she trudged. She felt pathetic. A group of Sandslash had ambushed them, and without Vivian they’d be injured or worse. It made her feel like she was back with the Children of Earth again, as a rookie on her first day..

Her gun held only one shell now. She removed the spent shell and replaced it with a new one.

Something caught her attention on the ground; a pile of strange gold coins, They all had a ‘P’ engraved into them.

“That’s Poké,” Vivian replied, splitting up the coins between them. “You should keep some; we do have exchange between dollars and Poké if you need it.”

Becky gave a nod. She’d heard of the currency but only rarely seen it in person, much less held some. Putting it in her bag, she continued on with the group.

“Vivian?” she asked.

The Vibrava only flicked her tail in acknowledgement. “Yes?”

Becky forced herself to smile. “Thanks… thanks for saving us back there.”

“You’re welcome.” Nothing more was said on the trip.

The trio found the Helioptile hiding behind a large rock. Before they could actually approach, a Krokoroc blocked their path.

“Heh. Yah gotta get past me if you want the kid.” He looked at the trio, before settling on becdky. Step aside human. Don’t make me kill you too.”

Est gasped as he was grabbed. The Krokoroc grinned a toothy smile as it placed its teeth near Est’s neck.

“Now… what’s to say you lower that metal Remoraid of yours, human. Then we all go home.”

Vivian frowned. “What do you even want with the Helioptile, anyway?”

The Krokoroc threw back his head and laughed. “You think I’d ever tell–”

Whatever words were to form in his brain was soon replaced by eight pellets of double-aught buckshot. The Krokoroc’s eyes widened in shock and rage. Turning to lunge at Becky, his attempt only came out as a shaky step before he face-planted.

The two Sandile began to shrink away. Becky trained her sights on one of the fleeing Pokemon and fired. The Sandile she had aimed at flipped around, head-over heels before skidding to a stop. It did not move again.

Est dragged himself out from under the Krokoroc’s corpse. He stood up shakily. “Thanks… I could’ve died.”

“No worries, little guy.” Becky smiled at Est’s pouting. “But really; you’re welcome. I’ve fought Pokemon just like this; I know what I’m doing.”

“Hey, buddy,” Est said. He’d moved towards the Helioptile, who was visibly shaking. “We’re here to help…”

“T-thanks…” it replied. “These guys were probably gonna kill and eat me.” It caught sight of Becky. “Hrm? What are you doing here?”

“Er… just tagging along,” Becky replied.

“Here.” Est touched his badge to the Helioptile, causing them to vanish in a flash of golden light. Vivian did the same for Becky.

There was nothing for a split second, then, they were back outside. It seemed surreal; until Becky looked at the marks on her jacket. That was real. And, in some way, she loved every minute of it.

The hall’s rest area was welcoming after the trek back. Becky slumped over onto the table, not bothering to make herself too comfortable until Vivian swiped her face with her tail.

“You did well. I’m impressed.” Vivian was positively beaming.

“Really? I thought I’d lost the touch after four years.”

Vivian laughed. “If you hadn’t shot the Krokoroc Est would be dead! Now… onto other matters.”

“Yes? What do we get paid in?”

“Ah. that is something we’d like to talk about. But there’s something else; regarding the Sandslash and the Sandile.”

“I shot them. Y’know, to keep you safe.” Becky rolled her eyes. “Besides, you’re the boss here…”

“I know.”

“The other thing was that I had no way of knowing that the gunshot would attract that much attention. As for the Sandile, you think I’d let hostile Pokemon escape? In the CoE we kill as much hostile Pokemon as we can. No exceptions.”

“The Sandile weren’t hostile–”

“They could have still been a threat. You never know with these sorts of situations.” Becky laid her head down on the table, exhausted. “What if they were to bring reinforcements? Or something like that?”

“...I see. You’re right in a way. But we’d already done what we needed. No need to escalate further no matter what your ideals say.” Vivian turned and left, coming back with the reward, a pile of Poke, and two berries.

While Vivian and Est ate their berries, Becky took the time to count her share of the Poké. It would come to two hundred dollars. She smiled. Before this point in her life, she’d never considered working with Pokemon, but now…

It seemed somewhat lucrative. Her equipment wasn’t the best, but she could slowly earn some more money and buy herself better weapons and armor. Even though Pokemon like Vivian had their powers, she could try to find a way to counter them with her technology.

Sleep wasn’t an option, not when she was so excited. Maybe if she kept this up she could make friends with a Pokemon for once.

In that instant, Becky felt like she had stepped out of the darkness into a new world.

~~END~~

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom