• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Start Ups Paranatural

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Enter." The Vice Principle's voice emanated. A few notes of the YuYu Hakusho ending theme could be heard before he closed the window.

The Vice Principle's office was one of a man who was very passionate about his interests and achievements. Ellery sat behind a walnut desk in a leather bound office chair, fingers tented. Behind him was a case full of trophies. Most of them for soccer, but there were also trophies for many martial arts and a few weightlifting ones. There was indeed a pair of dumbells next to his desk.

Ellery himself was clothes in a gray suit. He spent a few seconds staring at Ray and Ken. Silent. Unblinking. He then reached into the drawer of his desk and took out a comic book. Sonic the Hedgehog. He had confiscated it from Nick Cortez.

"You boys need to hear a story." Ellery said, flipping through the comic book. "You might think that school is simply to learn pointless things. Like math and science and history. Don't worry, I thought that at your age as well. But it's not. School exists as a microcosm of society as a whole." Ellery swiveled the chair back and forth, laying back in it.

"There are people who you might not like but need to deal with anyway, just like in real life. Like in a real job, you get in trouble if you don't do the work. And like this school, society needs rules." Ellery said. "This comic book is society. And the staples are like rules. They hold it together. You know what happens if we take out the staples?" He began to tear them out with his fingers.

"It all falls apart." Vice Principal Ellery took out another comic book. This one was X-Men. He also took out a stapler. "But staples aren't necessarily good. If we start adding them for no reason..." He began to staple the pages together. "It becomes unreadable. Useless. Not so different than if we took all the staples away." The vice principal set the second comic book among the pages of the first. He then took a lighter from his pocket and set them both alight. As smoke began to rise from the miniature book burning, the fire alarm sounded, and water sprayed down from the ceiling upon the office. Ellery had prepared, however. He took out an umbrella, shirlding himself and the computer.

"Unless you have questions, you are dismissed." Ellery said. A few minutes later, an announcement rang out over the intercom.

"Please ignore the fire alarm. There is no fire. You may not leave school." There was a pause. "Abd don't forget: You are mortal."

Last edited:
"I'm a teacher too." Ellery said, going back to his anime as the last of the water trickled out of the sprinkler. "But I don't teach science or Spanish. No, I teach life."

"But my guitar was stolen not too long ago. If you find it...I can be a powerful ally." Ellery said.

Lilu experienced momentary concern for her friends still inside the on hearing the fire alarm, only to have it replaced by confusion when she heard the announcement over the intercom. Eyebrows raised in bewilderment and suspicion, she walked into the school building, hoping to bump into another friend who could explain what was going on.

Having made his way into the school building in hopes of discovering what Ken and Ray had been summoned for, Jett was wandering around in the halls when the fire alarm went off. As he tried to find a way to cover himself, he swore fairly loudly, his reason for doing so becoming very evident in a manner of seconds. As soon as the water droplets from the sprinklers made contact with the boy, they began to freeze solid, and before too much longer Jett's face and upper torso was covered with a thin layer of icy beads, particularly around his eyes. Dropping his bat carelessly, Jett continued to vocalize his frustration while trying to get the ice impeding his vision off. As such, he hardly noticed Lilu, or anyone else for that matter, seeing as the majority of his attention and effort was being dedicated to moving his now-frozen hair unstuck.

Lilu jumped in surprise when she first heard, then saw Jett's predicament. She ran to his side and started combing the icy beads out of his hair and eyes, a task made difficult by his constant frustrated movement.

"Hold still, would you?" she snapped after he shook his head particularly vigorously and nearly dislocated her fingers.

Jett stopped moving around the instant he heard Lilu's voice, completely unaware of her presence until then for fairly obvious reasons. Standing still so she could help get rid of the icy droplets, he quickly said "Sorry Lilu. I didn't realize you were there."

Letting his hands rest idly at the side so Lilu could get rid of the rest of the ice, he felt a small trickle of blood going down his cheek. As bitter fate would have it, one of the bits of ice had frozen into a scrape he'd picked up during his skirmish earlier, opening the minor wound further. This warranted yet another sigh from the boy.

Lilu relaxed into the wall and let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding.

"It's no trouble," she said happily in response to his apology. "Sorry you've got to deal with that. I'm happy to help any time, really." Lilu was sincere. There was nothing she liked better than helping people, because then the people liked her. This was one of her more deeply ingrained canine qualities.

Lilu blinked at the dented chunk of ice resting on the ground, noticing it for the first time. "What's that?" She looked over Jett again and took in his scratches and scrapes with wide, sympathetic eyes. "What happened?"

Jett glanced down at the bat for a moment, sitting down on the floor as he reached for it, oddly hesitant to answer. After a moment, he looked back up at Lilu and answered, resisting the temptation to wipe the blood from his face as he spoke.

"Well....after that whole skirmish with the meteor earlier, I was still itching to fight. The fight against the guitar guy was fun and all, but it was so short that I wanted to fight something else. So, I may have deliberately put myself in a situation where a group of bullies thought I was an easy target."

"No, it was...God. Eleven years ago. I feel old now." Ellery said, standing up and looking out the window. "It was when I was still in a band. Ever hear of Sin Gun Chaser? Probably not. We weren't big." He said, a far off look in his eyes.

"It had two necks. A v-shape. And I wrote my stage name, Sky Flame Haze on it. Just keep an eye out for it on your adventures." The description didn't match the one Lilu had acquired last night. Then the bell rang for the next class.

Lilu winced, staring at the blood running down his cheek. "But they hurt you," she said, stating the obvious. "You're bleeding. Ugh, there's something in there... hold on a second." Lilu dashed into the bathroom and returned seconds later with a piece of tissue.

She pressed it against Jett's cheek, soaking up the flow of blood and squeezing the bead of ice free. She didn't say anything more, instead trying to sort out her thoughts. She was somewhat bewildered. She enjoyed a good fight as much as anyone when it was against someone genuinely bad, like the guitar guy, but it seemed like Jett had set himself up for a fight... for the fun of it. And he had an advantage over them, which he knew and they didn't.

"Do you feel guilty?" she asked suddenly. Lilu was blessed with the ability to get over things quite quickly, but she knew that most humans weren't and wondered it the morality of his actions was bothering Jett.

Jett winced a tiny bit as Lilu removed the bead of ice, her question striking chords surprisingly deep within Jett. Standing the bat upright against the wall with a sigh, he put his hands behind his head and leaned back once more, not completely sure how to answer. This was not by any means the first time he'd done something like this out of restlessness and eagerness to fight, and, as Jett was painfully aware, it was unlikely to be the last instance either. Looking down at the ground, he quietly replied.

"I don't know. I mean, in retrospect I feel like I should feel guilty for parts of it. Like, I knew these were bullies because I've seen them picking on other students before. I'd say normal students, but at this point I don't know if such a thing even exists in this damn school. But even knowing that, I can't say I feel completely justified in what I did."

Stopping to brush some ice off of his shoulders, he saw Lilu's concern and quickly added "If it helps ease your mind, I didn't kill them. The most any of them should get from this is a mild concussion or a bad cold, so either way they're gonna be spending a lot more time out of school and in bed. And to be completely honest, I kinda accidentally played a part in these injuries, because....well I think I may somehow have a new power."

Last edited:
Ray vocally hisses in surprise as the fire alarm goes off and water pours down on them, jumping into the doorframe and staying there, their small form mostly sheltered, until the artificial rain has ceased. They grumpily try and dry their hair with a corner of one of their furs, their pale eyes narrowed. They eventually return to the conversation uncomfortably. As the bell rings, they look to the vice-principal, then to the door. They cough awkwardly.
"...was that everything, sir..?"

Lilu cocked her head to one side in a canine expression of curiosity. "A new power?"

Jett nodded, looking back towards the sprinkler as he slowly stood up. He removed his winter coat, revealing his arms to be just as pale and mist-accompanied as his hands, before setting it over Lilu's torso. Taking a deep breath, he extended his arm, pointing an open palm towards the closest sprinkler. After a few moments of focusing, a blast of white, mist-like energy flew from the center of his hand at the sprinkler. As soon as it reached its target, the sprinkler suddenly erupted in an icy explosion, sending ice flying in most conceivable directions.

"Yeah sure." Ellery said. He was now watching his anime again, a thousand mile star on his face as he realized that his youth was gone.

It was then that an announcement rang out over the intercom, this one from the Principle's secretary.

"All members of the Paranatural Study Club please report to Room B05." The school's rooms were numbered based on floor. 100s were on the 1st floor, 200s the second, and 300s the third. B05 was in the basement, an old chemistry lab. Upon getting there, they'd find a familiar site: the meteor from last night. They would also encounter something new: Two strange people, the ones from the episode title.

One was a woman with pale skin and black hair. She wore loose, flowing black clothes, and the bottom half of her face was covered with a white scarf. The zig-zag pattern made it look like a mouth full of jagged teeth. Slung across her back was a huge scroll. The woman herself was concentrating on folding a paper crane.

The other person was a dark-skinned, very colorful man. It was nearly painful to look at him. Not because he was ugly. No, he was absolutely gorgeous, with long eyelashes, perfect skin, and kissable lips. But the lips had purple lipstick, his feathered hair was dyed a neon pink, and he wore a sequined blue unitard that opened down to just below his belly button. The unitard was trimmed with what looked like peacock down, and his long painted nails sparkles like red rubies.

"Ellery, this meteo-Oh. It's the brats." The man sad, then promptly returned to the meteor. He was looking at it with an ornate, looking-glass like device. The ninja lady finished her crane, adding it to the like that was forming around the stool.

"He's just annoyed because he didn't get here in time to find it like he was supposed to." She said, stepping down from the chair. She have no regard as she crushed a few underfoot, nor as the sparkly rainbow man shot her a quick glare before returning to the meteor.

"My name's Yae, and this is Ben. We're with the Global PI." She said. "As soon as the Vice Pr-"

"I'm here. Sorry I'm late, I was watching Pokemon and lost track of time." Ellery was standing in the door frame, now in a soccer uniform.

"Ellery! You're here!" Ben squeed.

"I don't even like you." Ellery said. "Oh, right. Sorry I forgot to tell you guys. I used to be a Paranaturalist."

"We need to know what happened last night. If you could tell me, we'd appreciate it." As Yae spoke, the scroll slung around her back, unraveling, sheets of paper coiling around her as he clicked a ballpoint pen.

Lilu grinned excitedly at Jett after he displayed his new power, earlier moral debate forgotten. "Cool!"

The intercom came to life once more and Lilu sighed. What was it with the speakers today? But then she heard the message itself and perked up. She passed Jett's coat back to him and thought for a moment.

"B05 is in the basement, right? Let's go!" she said excited to Jett, already starting down the hallway towards the stairs.

"Alright!" Jett replied, smiling as he followed after her, putting his coat on as they moved. The baseball bat was left behind, shattering into a pile of ice shards not too long after.

As he walked, however, part of Jett's mind was still fixated upon the mystery of what had caused this new ability of his to become available. The most likely explanation seemed to be the meteor from the night before, though it was also entirely possible that simply using the powers to fight had been a factor as well. Brushing the thoughts off, Jett continued to follow Lilu, the two of them making their way towards the destination at a fairly quick pace.

Lilu reached the door just ahead of Jett, pushing it open carefully as though something might attack them. When nothing did, she practically dashed into the room, excited. She was bouncing happily on her heels as she took in the rather strange people waiting for them. Luckily for Lilu, she was partially colorblind and didn't really notice the garish rainbow that the man seemed to be wearing.

"Hi!" she said, deciding to introduce herself. "I'm Lilu. I'm also a werewolf. Nice to meet you!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom