• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Parker Griffith Becomes Republican

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenicks

Where the Shadows lie
Reaction score
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30914.html

Thoughts on the matter? It's certainly different from the Arlen Spector switch in my opinion.

Reps. Bobby Bright (Ala.), Walt Minnick (Idaho) and Gene Taylor (Miss.) were the other 3 representatives to vote against the 4 big liberal items (Health Care, Cap & Trade, Omnibus, and Stimulus). I think that this will be a signal to the 3 of them.

It is different from Specter as people usually go toward the party in power as Specter did, not the very very weak minority party. Between this and the Dems retiring left and right, it seems as if the politicians can read the writing on the wall for next year's election.

Considering that Griffith voted against the Liberal core 4, I heard that politicians in Washington aren't very surprised.

And Griffith was a McCain Democrat if I remember...

I still think that we should look out for the other 3 house reps.

I posted this in the Healthcare forum because his switchover pertains to healthcare. Wouldn't it probably be a good idea to merge it?

It is different, because Arlen Specter is a centrist, and as soon as the Republican Party goes back to its roots and becomes more centrist, he'll switch back. I have a feeling that Griffith will stay Republican.

By the time that happens, Arlen Specter will probably be out of politics.

Touche.

However, to address Phoenicks' point, the four reps who voted against it were protecting their standing at home... they may have supported it themselves, but they would have lost the next election.

as soon as the Republican Party goes back to its roots and becomes more centrist,

I'm afraid that I don't know what you mean by 'centrist'. Unless you mean 'roots' to mean before the Reagan Revolution but after the FDR realignment, I don't see how Republicans were 'centrist'.

Touche.

However, to address Phoenicks' point, the four reps who voted against it were protecting their standing at home... they may have supported it themselves, but they would have lost the next election.

Not to argue, but Griffith was one of those four. So you're arguing about three of them.

I don't know enough about the other three representatives, I'm just making an observation that we should watch out for them.

For anybody interested, here are the profiles for each senator on house.gov:

Bobby Bright (Ala.)

Walt Minnick (Idaho)

Gene Taylor (Miss.)

Parker Griffith (Ala.)

It is different, because Arlen Specter is a centrist, and as soon as the Republican Party goes back to its roots and becomes more centrist, he'll switch back. I have a feeling that Griffith will stay Republican.

I don't really consider Specter a centrist, he is more of a survivalist that leans Liberal. He road the moderate/slightly left GOP label for as long as he could, when he couldn't he switched and instead of maintaining a centrist label, did his best to heighten his liberal credentials to avoid a bloody primary challenge. After the way Specter acted after he switched to get on the good side of the liberal wing of the Democratic party I would be VERY surprised if Specter switches back, then again he has to survive next year's election first.

I'm afraid that I don't know what you mean by 'centrist'. Unless you mean 'roots' to mean before the Reagan Revolution but after the FDR realignment, I don't see how Republicans were 'centrist'.

Not to argue, but Griffith was one of those four. So you're arguing about three of them.

I don't know enough about the other three representatives, I'm just making an observation that we should watch out for them.

Bobby Bright (Ala.)

Walt Minnick (Idaho)

Gene Taylor (Miss.)

Parker Griffith (Ala.)

Bright and Minnick have already said they're staying Democrats, and Taylor has been around forever - if he didn't switch in 94 I'd be kinda surprised if he did now.

Also, TBH, party labels aren't always that meaningful - hell, Zell Miller still calls himself a Democrat.

Bright and Minnick have already said they're staying Democrats, and Taylor has been around forever - if he didn't switch in 94 I'd be kinda surprised if he did now.

Also, TBH, party labels aren't always that meaningful - hell, Zell Miller still calls himself a Democrat.

Missed those announcements then, and I'm just putting Taylor up there because he's in with the group.

Party labels mean different things in different areas. Up in parts of New England, where up to 50% of voters are independant in some areas, party labels don't matter as much as in partisian areas such as Texas or California.

Bobby Bright (Ala.)

Walt Minnick (Idaho)

Gene Taylor (Miss.)

Parker Griffith (Ala.)

Sorry, I did mean to say the other three. What I mean by returning to their roots is to take a step away from all this social stuff they're focusing more and more on and to go back to the fiscally conservative stuff that got them popular in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom