• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PC Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I can't see them diverting from Silver. It's been pretty much a staple for him at this point.

I mean...they kind of are. Like really, why would we not assume that the names they are called in their promotional material are their official names?

We can't make assumptions. I once assumed Brendan is Birch's son in the anime because May is Norman's daughter.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the names used of the PCs for the games...

At least I can’t make assumptions according to what @Force Fire says. @Sakuraa, go here: User talk:PokéSean - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

I am now wondering about what are the Pokémon GO protagonists common default names. I discovered on their website that they use TrainerNIA.

Check more about what the name is here: Default Pkn GO PC

In almost every entry in the Legend of Zelda series, you are free to name the young sword-wielding hero whatever you choose. Are we not supposed to accept the Canon name "Link" for this reason?

That also reminds me of Minecraft. We can name both blue clothed Hispanic boy and the green clothed White girl whatever we want. They give us the names Steve (for the boy) and Alex (for the girl). We don't know if they are common defaults but they are the ones commonly used. I am also curious when Generation VIII characters will come to Masters.
That also reminds me of Minecraft. We can name both blue clothed Hispanic boy and the green clothed White girl whatever we want. They give us the names Steve (for the boy) and Alex (for the girl). We don't know if they are common defaults but they are the ones commonly used. I am also curious when Generation VIII characters will come to Masters. Well they are referred to that in game t

Is the rival of B2W2 really names Hugh? The name that is given is Hugh. We can name the blue haired boy whatever we want him to be called.

Check more about Core Gen VIII characters coming to the game here: Upcoming Sync Pairs in Pokémon Masters.

If we don't refer to the protagonists by name, are we just supposed to call them all "you"?

Magikarp Jump protagonist is referred to as you, @Glitchipedia.

I mean, have Brendan, May, Lucas, Dawn, Ethan, Lyra, Hilbert, Hilda, Nate, Rosa, Calem, and Serena been used as names in promo material? People such as ForceFire on Bulbapedia have said that because the names Chase, Elaine, Victor, and Gloria are used in promos, they have to be used for now as their names.
I hope you realize Calem and Serena already get named in the game when they are your rival.

@RK9, please realize I included every player that gets named in their respective games as NPCs. I do know they get named. All protags introduced in Gen III-VI do. I only included them because if they were named in games, were they used in promotional material? In my opinion, if any protagonist opposes as NPC, that should be enough. But the SwSh protagonists probably look like a Victor and a Gloria. Then like what Cream Tangerine said, just look at instruction manuals (or in this case, promos) and it would commonly fit their names. I don't know why they didn't include Gen VII+ because then in my opinion they would have an official names. But they are good as placeholders.

Last edited:
It felt special to have your own name written on your Pokémon that you would trade with your friends.

Even if you didn’t, you still would have your Pokémon traded and returned to evolve. One glitch: Can’t change the names in Time Capsule trade of Gen 2 if anyone who used to have them.

Like Sword and Shield just...aren't a name for a person.
Hey! I personally know someone named Sword how dare you say their name isn't real!

Okay, that's a lie.

All jokes aside, it's just easy to have a single name we can use so we know who we're talking about. I like it. Makes them seem more like actual people than robots. What're we gonna do, refer to Calem as Male XY Protagonist. That sounds dumb.

Is Silver referred to by name in Generations?
No. They specifically avoid calling him by name. The closest we get is Looker referring to him as "the son of Giovanni."

What're we gonna do, refer to Calem as Male XY Protagonist.

Nope!
I hope you realize Calem and Serena already get named in the game when they are your rival.

And is Calem referred to by name in the last short of Generations? The little girl’s mother refers to him as the new champion.

I honestly don't see what your hang up is over this, dude. They're just common names used among the fandom as a shorthand. That's it. If you wanna use different names in private or among your irl friends that's cool but within the wider range of the internet and conventions and stuff, we use the names that are implied to be canon.

I think if we use names if they are core pseudo players, we use those names on Bulbapedia. As for these promotional so called Elio, Selene, Chase, Elaine, Victor, and Gloria. Refer to the as boy and girl.

Not much distinguishing them from eachother, there.

How are we going to know which "boy" or "girl" someone's talking about.

Seriously dude, what's your hang up here. I don't understand why you're so annoyed about us using names that were seen in the promotional material.

Seriously dude, what's your hang up here. I don't understand why you're so annoyed about us using names that were seen in the promotional material.

Because @BackSet, introduced core protagonist from Generations I-VI were NPCs and we know their names because of that as what @RK9 said. But Since Generation VII, none of the protags haven’t yet appeared as NPCs. We don’t use TrainerNIA or NIATrainer for the Go avatars and none of them are opposed NPCs. However, in Masters. We use Scottie and Bettie who haven’t yet been NPCs. Can you name Lucy Fleetfoot? But you can name Colosseum protags and are they named Michael and Wes? Is the Let’s Go! rival really named Trace? We don’t know however we don’t know If Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum rival is really Barry but he is both referred to that in the core anime and Masters. Also, they use Leaf in Masters instead of Green but don’t call Red “Fire”.

How are we going to know which "boy" or "girl" someone's talking about.

We do Boy (SwSh) and Girl (SwSh).

Last edited:
First, you don't need to @ me every time you say my name, dude.

Second: So what? That doesn't tell me why you're so hung up on this. Why are you, personally, so pissed at us for using promotional names as shorthands.

It is because we are speculating. Think about it. We are guessing that they are named the way the promo when they aren’t NPCs. Someone needs to be on my side. I am pissed because if we are doing to much speculating. A more common source is if the protagonist as an unplayable character.

I just never know why all core PCs are not NPCs in the core series.

Last edited:
It is because we are speculating.
That's it? Seriously? You're pissed at us for speculating?

Wow, I've heard plenty jerky things but that, well, that doesn't take the cake, I've heard jerkier but still, being upset because people are speculating is pretty mean.

We're fans, we speculate. What, do you just sit around while all the trailers roll around and not speculate? Do you not ever wonder what might happen in the newest game in a series and then form a small theory or something? If you say you do then you, sir, are a liar.

Besides, it's not purely speculation. We have some basis. Pure speculation would just be saying "their names are Jim and Jay and that's what we're calling them even though there's no evidence anywhere in the game or outside of it that that is their name." In promotional material we see names, therefor logical basis for assumptions. Victor and Gloria as names without promotional material? Pure speculation. Victor and Gloria as names with promotional material? Logical assumption.

But, sure, feel free to go start an edit war on TV Tropes or Bulbagarden about how those are just fan nicknames. I'm sure that'll go over real well.

That's it? Seriously? You're pissed at us for speculating?

Wow, I've heard plenty jerky things but that, well, that doesn't take the cake, I've heard jerkier but still, being upset because people are speculating is pretty mean.

We're fans, we speculate. What, do you just sit around while all the trailers roll around and not speculate? Do you not ever wonder what might happen in the newest game in a series and then form a small theory or something? If you say you do then you, sir, are a liar.

Besides, it's not purely speculation. We have some basis. Pure speculation would just be saying "their names are Jim and Jay and that's what we're calling them even though there's no evidence anywhere in the game or outside of it that that is their name." In promotional material we see names, therefor logical basis for assumptions. Victor and Gloria as names without promotional material? Pure speculation. Victor and Gloria as names with promotional material? Logical assumption.

But, sure, feel free to go start an edit war on TV Tropes or Bulbagarden about how those are just fan nicknames. I'm sure that'll go over real well.

Now you are being sarcastic. @Force Fire tells me I can’t assume on Bulbapedia.

Now please go onto Pokémon Go website and you’ll find their names. You might think on official website that when you see Let’s Go and showing how to transfer, you could see the male protagonist is Chase but it would be just Chase using Pokémon. I am honest. Who do you think I am? The Boy Who Cried Player character or Playernochio.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm starting to think we all just walked into a troll thread.

Either that or Poe's Law is in full play in which case, wow, nice troll impression.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm only sarcastic when it would be funny.

Also, I'm pretty sure triple posting is frowned upon. I'm not completely sure but I'm pretty sure.

What poem was it with the troll by Poe.

I felt like you are sarcastic because you let me complain on fan sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom