• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PC School Removes Married Couple with Kid from School Mural

Pastellorama

Reaction score
See the story here
Here is the same story, but different site and longer article: Mural controversy at Pilgrim High | The Rhode Show

Elizabeth Bierenday, an artistic Rhode Island high schooler, has been told that the mural she designed to decorate one hallway in her school is too controversial. The problem? Her depiction of a married couple with their child. Bierenday illustrated the stages of a boy's life, from toddler to guitar-wielding teenager to graduation day, but showing him with a wedding band and a bride was too much for school administrators, who painted over that section. "The depiction of a young man's development [...] may not represent the life experiences of many of the students at Pilgrim High School," school superintendent Peter Horoschack says.

I don't entirely understand the religious undertones issue since it's not portraying a ceremony and "secular" weddings and marriages exist. I'd be more sympathetic if the heternormativeness was the primary issue.

This is ridiculous... how is it going to ever represent all students at the school when there are girls at the school? Unless she painted an androgynous figure going through everything. And even then it wouldn't represent all students because not all students are "guitar-weilding", graduate, get married, or have kids.
I don't even understand the issue... is it because marriage can be interpretted as having a religion (which doesn't make sense because even if you get married outside of a church you can still have wedding rings)... or is this a gay marriage issue (which brings me back to my original point of it being impossible to ever represent everyone)?
Also, this is art. It's up to the artist to decide how it's to be done. If the school doesn't like it then they don't have to show it but there's no reason to make someone change it (except if it's a mural it's kinda part of the wall, lol). But especially since apparently she had the school's approval before the painting was even started...

The school officials may be upset on that last picture because they believe some students may be forever alone, which is really just a minority.

The attack on family continues. A person's first and most important network is their family. Destroy the family, you destroy the individual and make them reliant on the state.

So in other words, the school acknowledges that some of their students will either grow up to discover they are homosexual, or that they will grow up and be forever alone?

I agree with the sentiments that it's political correctness gone mad though...

I think it's just silly. Not every kid is going to graduate. Not every kid is musical or athletic. If they have such a problem with that mural, they should just paint another one somewhere else with the 'other' view (whatever the heck that is) and let their school be covered by all kinds of art. That or none at all.

I really have trouble believing this isn't a hoax of some sort. This just sounds too ridiculous to be real.

Not that the link and the video don't seem legit. I guess this is just a case of "truth is stranger than fiction"!

I really have trouble believing this isn't a hoax of some sort. This just sounds too ridiculous to be real.

Not that the link and the video don't seem legit. I guess this is just a case of "truth is stranger than fiction"!

I assure you it's quite real--note that I posted two different sources for the same article, with a third source being the video. Also, these weren't written on April 1st so it's not some kind of prank, and I doubt a site like MSN was going to put up something false for kicks.

This is ridiculous. They can't show every possible outcome. Yes, there are people who won't graduate. Yes, there are people who won't get married. And if the school has a problem with any of this being depicted anyway, it's the school overreacting. It wasn't someone without a family who complained - it was the school. Frankly, I don't think they have a right to think it's offensive if the people it's supposedly offending don't view it that way.

lol, I can smell the massive butthurt from an intergalactic solar system away.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom