• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PE01: The Champion

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
Discuss the first episode of Pokémon Evolutions here.

Recorded at
Bang! Zoom Studios

Written by
Benjamin Townsend

Voice Directors -

James D. Mortellaro
Tony Oliver

Cast -

Leon/Main Hero - Aleks Le
Hop - Adriel Varlack
Announcer - Kevin M. Connolly

Last edited:
Gonna be honest, I'm not really feeling the voice acting though it could improve later on and mostly for the fact there isn't much dialogue either.

Then again this is voice directed by Mortellaro (and Tony Oliver) and I find his voice direction pretty spotty. Some stuff he's worked on was great, others not so much.

Last edited:
People are going call this "so good" (it's fine) but are going to ignore that there was an Ultra Ball in this episode, yet the Champion of the region and two seasoned trainers used Poke Balls (I don't care about that type of thing, but many do).

Just as I feared, it was short and rushed.

I really hope this isn't the standard, or Lillie and Zinnia are in a lot of trouble... <_<

Though to be fair, it's kind of hard for me to get excited when it wasn't very long ago the Show did Darkest Day/Eternatus, and there wasn't much difference between the two tellings.

Though I DID enjoy seeing Golden Boy suffering PTSD :LOL:

Last edited:
That episode was good and the animation blew me away! The 7 minute works for me because I can watch it quickly. There were a couple of scenes where I got the feeling that the main anime can have better quality. Also I found a slight similarity between these two scenes in the main anime and in Evolutions.
Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 8.14.34 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 8.16.49 PM.png

PikachuPulverizer said:
That episode was good and the animation blew me away! The 7 minute works for me because I can watch it quickly. There were a couple of scenes where I got the feeling that the main anime can have better quality. Also I found a slight similarity between these two scenes in the main anime and in Evolutions.
View attachment 149969View attachment 149971

Eternatus: Whoa...deja vu!

Hop with Cinderace! Good combination if you ask me! View attachment 149972View attachment 149973

Goh stole his role in DD, so Hop steals Cinderace.
(Would probably do more with him)

If there's one thing I like aside from the animation and how everything looked, it was being able to see the playable character, Victor in this case. He might not have done much here but its nice to see they're not going the Generations route and keeping the PCs in mostly silhouette.

If there's one thing I like aside from the animation and how everything looked, it was being able to see the playable character, Victor in this case. He might not have done much here but its nice to see they're not going the Generations route and keeping the PCs in mostly silhouette.
They clearly made an effort to keep his face as hidden as they could. His mom's too.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom