• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PE07: The Show

I really don't understand why worldwide ones are now late for one hour. Maybe it's after daylight saving time is over.

Cast -

Zuki - Heather Gonzalez
Sayo - Jackie Lastra
Kuni - Laura Post
Miki - Jenny Yokobori
Stagehand - Aleks Le

Just started watching and barely a minute in an I see something that I wasn't expecting
Yup. Kadabra has just made its first animation appearance since the main anime's Battle Frontier arc, about 16 years ago. No doubt a result of Uri Geller ending the lawsuit against Pokémon last year.

Yup. Kadabra has just made its first animation appearance since the main anime's Battle Frontier arc, about 16 years ago. No doubt a result of Uri Geller ending the lawsuit against Pokémon last year.
Hopefully a sign that it will reappear in the main series anime soon

Wow, easily my favourite of the shorts so far. I was a big fan of the Rakugo anime a few years back and this really reminds me of it with the theatre and whatnot. The animation was gorgeous and the use of Pokémon to create special effects felt so organic to the setting and was so cool to see. The reactions of the audience like the Tododile trying to put out the fire only to splash his trainer's face, or Morty holding up a tissue to his crying Gengar was hilarious. Hearing that music got me tearing up with nostalgia too.

10/10. Hopefully the final episode can end on a high note although it will be hard to top this.

Last edited:
The best Evolution episode still manages to disappoint me, and I say this with sadness.

Pros

1. Gorgeous visuals and nice music.
2. Nailed the Ecruteak atmosphere with all the Pokemon walking and sitting alongside their trainers. Gengar, Totodile and the Eeveelutions stood out.
3. New perspective not provided by the games. Neither Crystal nor HGSS tried to fit Lugia into the thunder-fire incident.

Cons

1. The incident was said to have lasted 3 days in Crystal, not one night.
2. Lugia thought that its wings could save the day? That's funny: "Lugia's wings pack devastating power - a light fluttering of its wings can blow apart regular houses."
3. It didn't think of using Rain Dance to begin with?
4. No mention of Ho-Oh resurrecting the beasts? We already got a superior Generations episode about that, but how can the highlight of the story be ignored altogether? If I didn't know any better, I'd have no clue as to why Lugia lost faith in the Ecruteak people.
5. Is a 10-minute length too much to ask for? It worked last week.

In conclusion, this short contradicts Crystal rather than supplementing it. We don't know what Lugia was doing at the time (just that it left the tower when all was said and done), but the only way to explain the fire raging for so long is that Lugia was either unavailable to help or hadn't mastered Water-type moves yet.

Last edited:
Very interesting that the Generations episode focused on Ho-oh and Entei, Suicune, and Raikou, while this Evolutions episode focising on Lugia and how it left for Whirl Islands was a very nice add.

Also, very entertaining to see how they used pokemon to make the show immersive. Not just the eeveelutions but also the pokemon backstage.

The kimono girls had Apricorn balls as part of their hair accessories. That was nice touch.

We didn't get to see Ethan's face but at least Morty was there to enjoy the show. I'd say this is a well delivered story episode.

Last edited:
Ok, this is the episode I was really looking forward to (being a gen 2/kimono girl stan). I didn’t know what to expect but this surpassed my expectations for sure :bulbaLove: I think what helped was that they weren’t directly replicating a scene from the games. But this did my favourite thing instead - worldbuilding. How nice to see how such a show would get put on and the involvement and roles of the pokemon. I loved the little touch of the kimonos matching the respective Eeveelution.

At the end I was Morty’s Gengar… :cry::love:

That was a nice bit of worldbuilding; I do enjoy seeing the way the franchise incorporates Pokémon as part of the world and society on a notable level.
I do wonder why they left out the Beast trio part though.

Best part was the Totodile wanting to help and his trainer having to stop them.

(Although did the Eeveelutions seem too small or is it just me? I think they're sort of prone to adaptations making them smaller than the games but in a few shots Umbreon in particular seemed teeny).

This was a really good one! I love that Lugia finally got a role in the backstory of the towers, since originally only Ho-oh reviving the Beasts was mentioned. The animation was also really good and I love how the Pokemon were used in the episode. Totodile trying to extinguish the flames and its trainer barely stopping it was equal parts adorable and hilarious, as was Morty's Gengar being in tears by the end. Absolutely precious!

(Although did the Eeveelutions seem too small or is it just me? I think they're sort of prone to adaptations making them smaller than the games but in a few shots Umbreon in particular seemed teeny).
No, I think you're right on the money here: the Eeveelutions are quite prone to being portrayed as smaller than they are in-game (and ironically, by contrast Eevee itself tends to be portrayed as being slightly larger: Eevee typically is shown to be the same size as Pikachu in animated adaptations when it should be four inches smaller), around two feet tall or so.

Japanese Cast -

Zuki - Reina Ueda
Sayo - Sayaka Senbongi
Miki - Rie Murakawa
Kuni - Sumire Morohoshi
Naoko - Akane Fujita
Girl - Hina Natsume
Stage Staff - Shogo Sakata

Pokémon Voices

Hina Natsume
Shogo Sakata
Sayaka Senbongi
Reina Ueda
Rie Murakawa

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom