• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PE08: The Discovery

Cast -

Green - Cristina Valenzuela
Trace - Brandon Winckler
Professor Oak - Keith Silverstein
Player - Brittany Lauda

As for my opinions, I honestly had to sit down for a while after watching and remidn myself if I was lowkey watching a Gabaleth video. There were funny moments, and I also like how the Lets GO characters were introduced.
I guess I didn't like the deus ex machina of Elaine getting Mewtwo, but it still made for a funny moment regardless.
However, personally this episode is inferior to it's predecessor, but it's still good.
8/10

One thing that struck me is that this episode was VERY animated. Like this might be a very Sakuga episode, but that's not quite my fortee so any experts can probably correct me if that is the case or not.

It also had a pretty comedic bend to it that I didn't notice with the other series: they had jokes (hello Totodile), but this one's tone was pretty marketly so. Not a problem or a bad thing or even a mark against it, but something that is noticeable.

Honestly these last three episodes had a ton of budget to them.

Anyway, still a good and fun episode, and hey Mega Evolution. Hope you show up again our favorite mechanic Game Freak seems to have a strange reaction towards.

Somehow, despite seeing Blue on the poster it didn't click in my mind that this would be a Let's Go focused episode until I saw Trace. This was a very comedic episode, I laughed when Blue was about to advance the plot only for the Nugget Trainers to show up and block her path only for her to speedrun them. This episode was also very energetic (montage of Player vs Blue aside) with lots of fluid animation. I really did like the ending with Oak thinking he's got the complete Dex only to get a call about more Pokémon being discovered, felt very meta.

As expected, this episode couldn't top last week's but I still really enjoyed it as a send off to the series. :bulbaLove:

This episodes had a lot or positives. Good animation, some funny moments, Elaine actually getting some words in. The only thing I don't like... It has Trace in it and I have a serious dislike for Trace.

Why the hell are not only Blue and Elaine's faces visible but they're the only Player characters allowed to SPEAK?!

That's against the rules!

Lmao joking this is probably my favorite episode of the bunch.

I KNEW Blue would be awesome

Elaine also got darker skin just like Victor!

Lmao They switched Red and Green's Starters! XD
In the games Red is supposed to Venusaur while Green has Charizard.
Evolutions just straight up said fuck that lmao

Also this has to be the most expressive Mewtwo I've ever seen lmao

Screenshot_20211223-112943_Chrome.jpg

Hmmm.... :unsure:

On one hand, there was more to it than I expected. I especially liked seeing the usually stoic and serious Mewtwo looking flustered.
On the other...it was literally and figuratively all over the place o_O

Why the hell are not only Blue and Elaine's faces visible but they're the only Player characters allowed to SPEAK?!

That's against the rules!

Lmao joking this is probably my favorite episode of the bunch.

I KNEW Blue would be awesome

Elaine also got darker skin just like Victor!

Lmao They switched Red and Green's Starters! XD
In the games Red is supposed to Venusaur while Green has Charizard.
Evolutions just straight up said fuck that lmao
The only reason I can think of for why the switched Red and Blue's starters was simply to make Red look cooler.

That was a treat to watch, even though derpy Elaine catching Mewtwo wasn't believable in the least. I think they gave Charizard to Red to suggest that Green was the protagonist (hence her rival should use Venusaur), which wasn't the case in LGPE. Elaine and Trace had their own thing going on, and I'm pretty sure that Chase was the one who called about Meltan, which reminded me of Mew's cameo in Origins.

Of course the Kanto protagonists get the best treatment of all. I mean Blue/Green/Leaf got the most screentime AND got to talk. The episode was great though. It was nicely animated.
She deserves it considering that it's her first animated appearance. Also, the reasoning is simple: she wasn't a protagonist in LGPE and had a distinct personality (more so than the the NPC versions of the Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos player characters).

Last edited:
This was a cute episode, it didn't expand on much, but it was a nice little adventure involving Green trying to get Mewtwo and it had some fun and enjoyable moments along the way. I do wish that Elaine getting Mewtwo was given a bit more depth rather than only being for laughs as I agree it wasn't the most believable, but it was fine.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom