• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PE08: The Discovery

I'm usually meh for anything Kanto but this one was pretty cool. Blue felt like a very active protagonist and they did a good job balancing her badass and funny sides, and her race with Trace was amazing as it had excellent animation and pacing.

It was weird to see the plot ending early and very abruptly for a recycling of Origins' ending, but seeing Professor Oak is always nice and it makes the anniversary come full circle as he's the first face we met the games.

Last edited:
Hmm. He called him "my boy" and the age gap is probably less than 10 years (Oak being 53 in the Kanto games), but it's a possibility.
He did say "Willow my boy" in "The Two Professors" shorts that first revealed Melmetal.
her race with Chase was amazing as it had excellent animation and pacing.
Trace. Chase is the male player character.

I really damn dig this one, tho, if I need to have one nitpick, it's the fact they swapped Green and Red's starters for some god forsaken reason. I cannot stress enough how much I hate starter distributions based on names or color schemes so LGPE going with the Adventures route and giving Venusaur to Red (Like was also intended, if RGB promo art is indication) was amazing to see.

Also, is Blue's thingy a Pokédex or a notebook? Considering Green mentioned in-game that they had to write their stuff down by hand and it seems modelled more like a notebook, I assume it's a notebook but it also looks a bit to elaborate to be a normal notebook.

I really damn dig this one, tho, if I need to have one nitpick, it's the fact they swapped Green and Red's starters for some god forsaken reason.
Oak (and the episode itself) regarded Green as a protagonist, making Red the third wheel with the starter weak to hers.

Also, is Blue's thingy a Pokédex or a notebook? Considering Green mentioned in-game that they had to write their stuff down by hand and it seems modelled more like a notebook, I assume it's a notebook but it also looks a bit to elaborate to be a normal notebook.
IovquGu.png

Of course the Kanto protagonists get the best treatment of all. I mean Blue/Green/Leaf got the most screentime AND got to talk. The episode was great though. It was nicely animated.
She waited almost two decades for a proper anime appearance.

She waited almost two decades for a proper anime appearance.

Yeah! She DESERVES it after being the only Gen 1 protag without a counterpart for SO long.
Poor gal was in the Not Animated Gulag for so long she was darn near institutionalized...
Come to think of it, was she even in the GOTCHA music video? :unsure:

Yeah! She DESERVES it after being the only Gen 1 protag without a counterpart for SO long.
Poor gal was in the Not Animated Gulag for so long she was darn near institutionalized...
Come to think of it, was she even in the GOTCHA music video? :unsure:
Nope, she wasn't. Her and Krys were the only protagonists (Other than the LGPE ones) to not feature in it.

View attachment 153929

Reminder that neither Sabrina nor Nessa has any association with Jigglypulff or Clefairy, and Lillie is no PWC contender.
130721215628.jpg

Especially since Lillie in the PWC doesn't make any sense to begin with. I certainly don't like the idea of her making into the Ultra Class--into the double digits to less--spamming Powder Snow of all things...
And if so, than the PWC is an even bigger joke of an afterthought than I gave it credit for...

Japanese Cast -

Green - Suzuko Mimori
Trace - Sōma Saitō
Elaine - Mariko Nagai
Mystery Trainer - Kōsuke Tanabe
Oak - Keiichi Sonobe

Pokémon Voices

Mariko Nagai
Kōsuke Tanabe
Suzuko Mimori
Sōma Saitō

@BigDocFan

I loved this episode! Might be one of my top favorites with Barry's and the Johto one. :bulbaLove: I liked how Green was so funny and badass, and also the fact that she SPOKE! Okay, I get it, Elaine was the true PC here, so Green talking isn't that big a deal. But Elaine spoke too and THAT was great! :LOL: Like bruh, finally we get someone to actually talk in one of these. We've gone from Victor's face being obscured at every angle to Elaine's cute face being shown AND hearing her speak.

Really, this episode was amazing from start to finish. I really love that they adapted Let's Go instead of retelling Red/Blue yet again. Glad I got to see my boy Trace. Also, that silly Mewtwo was awesome.

Okay, I was not expecting a LGPE-centered episode, but I really enjoyed it! The visuals were fluid, I love how we got to see so many Pokemon in action, I love how Blue was actually allowed to score a KO against Elaine's team in the battle for Mewtwo rather than the battle being completely one-sided on Elaine's favor (sidenote, I find it interesting that Partner Pikachu was pitted against Clefable. Possible reference to Clefairy being originally planned as the mascot, perhaps?) I love how much movement and fluidity the overall animation had...

This was just a delight. Plain and simple. Blue was also less overbearing, which I know some will find jarring, but I think it was for the best to tone her down, as I'm not sure if her intentionally chucking Pokeballs at another person would have translated well into a player-less medium.

Lmao They switched Red and Green's Starters! XD
In the games Red is supposed to Venusaur while Green has Charizard.
Evolutions just straight up said fuck that lmao
There's three possible reasons for doing this switch: One, perhaps they meant to imply that since Blue is the "protagonist", then it is she who had Green as a rival instead of Red, so Green gets Venusaur to counter her Blastoise. Two, they just wanted the original Kanto trio to have the starter whose color/element matches their name. Three, rather than implying than Blue is the protagonist, Red having Charizard and Green having Venusaur is a reference to how modern rivals pick the starter weak to the player's rather than vice-versa.

There's three possible reasons for doing this switch: One, perhaps they meant to imply that since Blue is the "protagonist", then it is she who had Green as a rival instead of Red, so Green gets Venusaur to counter her Blastoise. Two, they just wanted the original Kanto trio to have the starter whose color/element matches their name. Three, rather than implying than Blue is the protagonist, Red having Charizard and Green having Venusaur is a reference to how modern rivals pick the starter weak to the player's rather than vice-versa.
Or Four, it's a reference to the names FireRed and LeafGreen

Or most likely Five, The series loves to shill Charizard so much that they can't bear to show it with a rival, not even for a few seconds, so Red must always be associated with Charizard despite Venusaur being his partner originally

We've gone from Victor's face being obscured at every angle to Elaine's cute face being shown AND hearing her speak.
I'm glad we got to see her and hear her speak. Victor was seen unobscured though in a couple shots. Calem got it the worst. I mean covering his face with his hand was pretty ridiculous. I hate the "But they're the protagonist." argument because look at Victor, Hilda, May, and Elaine. They are the protagonist but they got some shots unobscured. May and Elaine got the best.

Last edited:
Or most likely Five, The series loves to shill Charizard so much that they can't bear to show it with a rival, not even for a few seconds, so Red must always be associated with Charizard despite Venusaur being his partner originally
And moreover, Green having Charizard would outright confirm that it got beaten in a battle, since Green canonically loses his Champion title no matter what, and having Charizard lose, even if it's completely offscreen, is a big no-no these days.

And moreover, Green having Charizard would outright confirm that it got beaten in a battle, since Green canonically loses his Champion title no matter what, and having Charizard lose, even if it's completely offscreen, is a big no-no these days.
Amusingly enough, the very first episode of Evolutions literally had these exact implications.

We don't get to see it but the ending heavily implies that Leon's Charizard will lose to Victor's Inteleon just like how Inteleon made Eternatus his bitch :sneaky:

Also Interestingly enough, Inteleon is the only Galar Starter that's fully capable of getting the upper hand on Leon's entire team, without having the need to switch out, if given the right moveset. (Cinderace had no advantages against Haxorus while Rillaboom has nothing to use against Charizard)

Lol it's probably likely why they ended the short right before their battle could start lmao

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom