• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pearlshipping General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jabba, I agree with a lot of your takes on pearlshipping. I love Pearshipping, but there are really no concrete hints besides the 'close friendship' thing, which is very valid don't get me wrong. If a boy Ash's age can be such great friends with Dawn, there's bound to be some romantic feelings in there somewhere, we just haven't seen any yet.

I'm hopeful that there will be some real hints soon!!

Close friendship, or (more) explicit romance? Ash and Dawn's bond may work quite well as we understand it, and their curiosity might play a role in guiding them to explore that bond by themselves... if they wish. They're together so often that somebody may very well consider them to be a couple already, and yet, Ash and Dawn may be more likely to see their gestures to each other as ways to express their friendship... without any teasing moments to potentially set it back, of course.

Close friendship, or (more) explicit romance? Ash and Dawn's bond may work quite well as we understand it, and their curiosity might play a role in guiding them to explore that bond by themselves... if they wish. They're together so often that somebody may very well consider them to be a couple already, and yet, Ash and Dawn may be more likely to see their gestures to each other as ways to express their friendship... without any teasing moments to potentially set it back, of course.

"Potentially set it back?" If Satoshi and Hikari DO hook up, it would be slowly, and teasing and flirting would help said relationship along, rather than do the reverse, as you've suggested.

That's just my inner psychologist talking though.

Hmm... Not quite. I would prefer as few disruptions of uncertainty within Ash and Dawn's romantic friendship as possible, given the similarities in their thought processes -- and any future encounters with the Lake Guardians. With Ash and Dawn embodying optimism, innovation, and curiosity as attributes, they could certainly take inspiration from each other whenever either of them is feeling down. I am left to wonder what Ash/Dawn could do for Dawn/Ash in such a scenario.

As a psychologist, we msut agree to disagree.

At that age, teasing and flirting are an essential part of a romantic relationship, regardless of personal opinion. As kids get older, flirting becomes more serious and turns to serious romantic issues.

Point is, at the age Satoshi and Hikari are, flirting and teasing doesn't "hinder" romance at all- it advances it.

have you noticed how theres hardly any pearlshipping sites yet millions of poke and advance shipping sites, well i started one for all things pearlshippy

Last edited by a moderator:
Jabberwocky said:
Point is, at the age Satoshi and Hikari are, flirting and teasing doesn't "hinder" romance at all- it advances it.

Could you explain more on what you're trying to say?

I agree with Jabberwocky. It's true. Flirting and teasing builds up the relationship, rather than forcing it in to existance. This actually makes relationships stronger, believe it or not.

Could you explain more on what you're trying to say?

It's psychology. At that age, teasing and bickering is the only form of flirting kids know- and flirting, of course, helps build relationships to be stronger.

Perhaps teasing and flirting would work better with others, but I can certainly remember Ash and Dawn's other adventures and moments together. They have cheered each other up whenever one of them was feeling down, and they've had similar reactions to each other in other situations. Indeed, a showdown at the Spear Pillar should easily inspire Ash and Dawn to protect each other from any danger, as the Serebii Pearlshippers might understand.:

ht2009.jpg
Ash and Dawn confronting Arceus, with Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina staring each other down

This I would consider my biggest reason for taking an interest in Ash and Dawn's romantic friendship, taking together what Ash and Dawn have learned about Sinnoh's legendaries up to this point and how their Pokémon have reinforced their battling partnership. If Ash and Dawn can maintain their bond in the face of an event of this magnitude -- and I'm confident in their ability to do so -- then they should be able to handle virtually any challenge they find together.

It's psychology. At that age, teasing and bickering is the only form of flirting kids know-
Sure, like the schoolgirl who cries because the boy sitting behind her pulled her ponytail or whatever, but it turns out he likes her.

Sure, like the schoolgirl who cries because the boy sitting behind her pulled her ponytail or whatever, but it turns out he likes her.

Leaving Ash to take inspiration from Dawn's enthusiasm about herself and life in general? Perhaps Ash decided to try copying her spin moves in tribute to that enthusiasm, leaving Dawn no less inspired by his determination. Of course, certain activities they do together might surprise even these two kids, including one I've picked up from the Serebii Pearlshipping thread.:

How would you react/feel if Dawn kissed Ash?

So C7CA what did I miss while I was gone from the forum and this thread and what this about that poster you shown because I'm curious about your comments on it.

I don't mind this ship, really. It's cute (no denying that), and the two definitely have their moments. Pokeshipping is still my fav of all the Ash ships, but I will say that Pearlshipping is a firm second. :D

So C7CA what did I miss while I was gone from the forum and this thread and what this about that poster you shown because I'm curious about your comments on it.

Jabberwocky was insisting that teasing and flirting will be key components of Ash and Dawn's romantic friendship, despite Ash and Dawn's closeness to Sinnoh's legendaries. At the moment, I would opine that Ash and Dawn would most certainly want to protect each other if Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina were in the middle of their comprehensively apocalyptic showdown at the Spear Pillar. Once those Pokémon are back to their calm(er) selves, Ash and Dawn can smile at each other knowing that they just witnessed an event powerful enough to change the world... together. That poster I found on the Serebii Pearlshipping thread may reinforce my personal interest in these two kids' bond quite well because it portrays Ash and Dawn confronting the Original One itself, perhaps right as it's about to try getting the Guardians of Time, Space, and Dimensions to stop wiping Sinnoh off the map. If Ash and Dawn can survive such a clash, then I would think that they can survive virtually anything. I might not necessarily expect Ash and Dawn to actually kiss, but if they were to do so, then their surroundings would make the kiss that much more powerful to the judgment of this Pearlshipper.

Jabberwocky was insisting that teasing and flirting will be key components of Ash and Dawn's romantic friendship, despite Ash and Dawn's closeness to Sinnoh's legendaries. At the moment, I would opine that Ash and Dawn would most certainly want to protect each other if Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina were in the middle of their comprehensively apocalyptic showdown at the Spear Pillar. Once those Pokémon are back to their calm(er) selves, Ash and Dawn can smile at each other knowing that they just witnessed an event powerful enough to change the world... together. That poster I found on the Serebii Pearlshipping thread may reinforce my personal interest in these two kids' bond quite well because it portrays Ash and Dawn confronting the Original One itself, perhaps right as it's about to try getting the Guardians of Time, Space, and Dimensions to stop wiping Sinnoh off the map. If Ash and Dawn can survive such a clash, then I would think that they can survive virtually anything.

I don't think them wanting to protect each other in the face of death is necessarily shippy, it's just humane and friendship.

I'd wanna protect my buddy from being killed, but I'm definitely not in love with him.

Maybe a special appearance by Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf will further remind Ash and Dawn of the adventures these two kids have had together up to that point, certainly not excluding their battling partnership. I imagine a new moment of realization for Ash and Dawn once they realize what has just happened, and they will and should be that much closer to each other for it. It's not every day you get to encounter creatures who are supposed to embody emotion, willpower, and knowledge, attributes that would fit Ash and Dawn quite well, not to mention their Pokémon. As such, I opine that Pearlshipping is most appropriate for expressing the attributes that make Pokémon an excellent and enjoyable show. I can only wonder what will happen with Ash and Dawn in the future to this end.

Ash and Misty met Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Celebi, etc.

Ash and May met Jirachi, Mew, Lucario, etc.

Pearlshipping is one of my favorite, but even I have to admit the lack of hints. And you can argue all you want C7CA about how the lack of hints somehow means they are MORE perfect together, but yea...not buying it.

I won't be happy till there is a more concrete shipping hint between them.

Visibility, or separation? Whereas Misty and May were basically in the background, Dawn has been much more visible alongside Ash, from contests to regular battles. This equality works in order to make Ash and Dawn even more prominent in the minds of others watching them... including the Lake Guardians, no less. Dawn even went so far as to perform a cheerleading routine for Ash in past gym battles, and she may very well do so again to encourage him if he's particularly down about a recent or coming battle. Likewise, Ash was willing to encourage Dawn when others were more skeptical, most likely appropriate for these two kids. It's not explicitly romantic, but it does provide a solid foundation for Ash and Dawn should they want a more romantic relationship in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom