• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pearlshipping General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may fail to understand any skepticism about a lack of teasing and arguing between Ash and Dawn, but I am willing to stand by any reflexive reactions on either of these two kids' part if the other is in any danger, not to mention their other similarities. What I find most striking about that poster is its similarity to what I have sensed about Pearlshipping ever since I first accepted it. After pondering Ash, Dawn, and now Brock's encounters with the Lake Guardians, I can only consider this comprehensively apocalyptic showdown between Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus to be the biggest reference point yet for Ash and Dawn's experiences together. I will expect Ash and Dawn to protect and save each other quite a few times during this showdown, and there might be a moment of realization for these two just before they make their descent from Mount Coronet, affirming their romantic friendship once and for all. Perhaps a recollection of Pearlshipping's greatest moments will serve us well in these coming days and weeks, keeping the focus on Ash and Dawn's greatest attributes and ideals. This friendliness between Ash and Dawn should be inspirational for us and others who may not have seen them before for the future.

I may fail to understand any skepticism about a lack of teasing and arguing between Ash and Dawn, but I am willing to stand by any reflexive reactions on either of these two kids' part if the other is in any danger, not to mention their other similarities. What I find most striking about that poster is its similarity to what I have sensed about Pearlshipping ever since I first accepted it. After pondering Ash, Dawn, and now Brock's encounters with the Lake Guardians, I can only consider this comprehensively apocalyptic showdown between Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus to be the biggest reference point yet for Ash and Dawn's experiences together. I will expect Ash and Dawn to protect and save each other quite a few times during this showdown, and there might be a moment of realization for these two just before they make their descent from Mount Coronet, affirming their romantic friendship once and for all. Perhaps a recollection of Pearlshipping's greatest moments will serve us well in these coming days and weeks, keeping the focus on Ash and Dawn's greatest attributes and ideals. This friendliness between Ash and Dawn should be inspirational for us and others who may not have seen them before for the future.

Pearlshipping's greatest moments? I love the ship, but even I have to admit that there aren't exactly a huge number of shipping hints between Ash and Dawn.

There are a few moments where you could theorhetically say that, yea maybe that could be a hint, but nothing definitive at all.

In addition, the writers will not, I repeat, will not definitively cement a romantic relationship with Ash UNTIL THE SHOW ENDS.

Got it. If jealousy may actually indicate uncertainty, then the certainty and optimism I see in Ash and Dawn's eyes and minds toward each other should give both of them quite a few pointers whenever they're alone together. Trust can't be a bad attribute to muster in and for these two kids' romantic friendship, especially since I've seen it function as a glue for Dawn's cheerfulness (emotion) and Ash's determination (willpower)... many, many times. We know about Ash and Dawn's ice cream date in the wake of Dawn's Solaceon Contest loss, and Dawn might remember Ash's concern for her at that time as she attempts to console him. I might very well consider that a key moment for many Pearlshippers, leaving my overall interest in this coupling's best attributes in my mind.

Got it. If jealousy may actually indicate uncertainty, then the certainty and optimism I see in Ash and Dawn's eyes and minds toward each other should give both of them quite a few pointers whenever they're alone together. Trust can't be a bad attribute to muster in and for these two kids' romantic friendship, especially since I've seen it function as a glue for Dawn's cheerfulness (emotion) and Ash's determination (willpower)... many, many times. We know about Ash and Dawn's ice cream date in the wake of Dawn's Solaceon Contest loss, and Dawn might remember Ash's concern for her at that time as she attempts to console him. I might very well consider that a key moment for many Pearlshippers, leaving my overall interest in this coupling's best attributes in my mind.
Jelousy AND trust work towards a healthy romantic relationship. I see plenty of trust in Pearlshipping, but nary a shred of jealousy. Sorry, but it's true.

I'd like to bring up what Geodude said two pages ago that caught my attention. The latest battle with Ash vs. Paul--everytime they showed Reggie and the others, we see Dawn tensed up, and even a hand near her chest--something I've seen before in other anime when one gets deeply concerned for another's safety, etc. She even stood up when I believe Monferno collapsed.

Of all these notices, I still think this was of concern to the Pokemon and not Ash? Still a head-scratcher.

Jelousy AND trust work towards a healthy romantic relationship. I see plenty of trust in Pearlshipping, but nary a shred of jealousy. Sorry, but it's true.

Are you sure about jealousy? It may be more immediately noticeable, but if it keeps up over time, then it may actually drive people who are seeking positivity away. A penchant for adventure may in fact necessitate an abundance of optimism, innovation, and curiosity, three attributes that Ash and Dawn have demonstrated plenty of as they've made their way through Sinnoh, visiting different cities and towns, not to mention befriending Sinnoh's more powerful individuals, especially Cynthia. The idea here is confidence in one's freedom to stand for what is right, which I would think will be existentially important for Ash and Dawn should, say, Cyrus or J decide to get rid of these two kids once and for all.

Are you sure about jealousy? It may be more immediately noticeable, but if it keeps up over time, then it may actually drive people who are seeking positivity away. A penchant for adventure may in fact necessitate an abundance of optimism, innovation, and curiosity, three attributes that Ash and Dawn have demonstrated plenty of as they've made their way through Sinnoh, visiting different cities and towns, not to mention befriending Sinnoh's more powerful individuals, especially Cynthia. The idea here is confidence in one's freedom to stand for what is right, which I would think will be existentially important for Ash and Dawn should, say, Cyrus or J decide to get rid of these two kids once and for all.

Yes, I'm sure. As a psychologist in the making, I know thwat being jealous towards potential rivals affirms one's affection for someone, as well as showing the suitor of choice that they want them.

And about the cynthia thing, is it really that hard o make friends with her? You'd just need to give her some ice cream and she'd be calling you her BFF.

On the other hand, jealousy and uncertainty can end up being the very attributes that split any couple that has a boy and a girl with different thought processes. With this assumption in place, perhaps this has become a question of understanding a certain couple. In Ash and Dawn's case, jealousy doesn't work because neither of them find it consistent with their enthusiasm and optimism. It might work with others, on the other hand, but neither Ash nor Dawn might need it.

Certainly as friends, but that's just me. As a PearlFRIENDShipper, I love Ash and Dawn's friendship and enthusiasm, but, no offense intended, I simply do not see them as a couple. Quite frankly, most hints I see are pearlShippers grasping at straws. The movie 10 hint- well, anyone would save their friend. The Luvdisc hint- well, AdvanceShippers have the same kind of hint, and there's much speculation as to what the games and anime have in common. High Touch, I believe, is the only hint that has some merit to it, but even its hintiness is ambiguous.

Haven't posted here in a while. xD

I have yet to watch DP132, but from what I've seen from DP131, I liked how Hikari was really into the battle. Before the battle started she was anxious about how this battle will turn out. Her arms were shaking a little bit. JB88 & Geodude sums up my thoughts to it also. ;3

The Luvdisc hint- well, AdvanceShippers have the same kind of hint, and there's much speculation as to what the games and anime have in common.

Well there was a couple in the submarine there also.

vlcsnap228644.jpg

I guess Satoshi & Hikari didn't know about that aspect of the Luvdisc. xD

That picture was in reference to seeing Phione, not the Luvdisc.

Also, the Rocket-Dan saw the Luvdisc, but Rocketshippers don't use that as proof. I agree with Jabberwocky that everyone on the sub saw them so it doesn't mean anything.

Oh, another point. A lot of people saw the Luvdisc in that submarine- shouldn't that mean that everyone was blessed with eternal love? Ash and Brock, Ash and Pikachu, Brock and Dawn, Dawn and Pikachu?

Hm, good point. xD Didn't really think about it like that.

Anyways~ More fanart~ I drew one this morning...I'll try to get it up soon. xD

Oh, another point. A lot of people saw the Luvdisc in that submarine- shouldn't that mean that everyone was blessed with eternal love? Ash and Brock, Ash and Pikachu, Brock and Dawn, Dawn and Pikachu?

'Looks at the bold'

:eek:hdear:Wow talk about getting desperate in ones argument, I mean why would Nintendo let the writers do beastality (I'm not sure I spelled that right) and gay relationships if this is a kids cartoon:dizzy:?

Oh and your sig; :lol: and you say pearlshippers are grasping for straws.

Last edited:
I'll still withhold my judgment on how this is going. Whatever seems to be Dawn's feelings look like they are for the Pokemon and not for Ash.

I'd like to bring up what Geodude said two pages ago that caught my attention. The latest battle with Ash vs. Paul--everytime they showed Reggie and the others, we see Dawn tensed up, and even a hand near her chest--something I've seen before in other anime when one gets deeply concerned for another's safety, etc. She even stood up when I believe Monferno collapsed.

There are quite a few examples where Dawn has shown concern for Ash in battles, moreso than others. The ep with Byron's gym battle is one of them. It could be friends rooting for friends or can be interpreted in the shipping sense.

'Looks at the bold'

:eek:hdear:Wow talk about getting desperate in ones argument, I mean why would Nintendo let the writers do beastality (I'm not sure I spelled that right) and gay relationships if this is a kids cartoon:dizzy:?

Oh and your sig; :lol: and you say pearlshippers are grasping for straws.

Shut up. My point is perfectly valid and you're just dodging it. I'm not desperate. And i'd like to see you try to pull that beastality crap on the Pikashippers. Se how that goes over. Or your gay crap on the Pallet, Coma, Coldcofee, Appeal, Sapphirepearl, etc. Shippers. Good luck.

High Touch is only romantic if you think that liking someone's smiles means you're in love with them, which i don't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom