• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

pearlshipping vs. pokeshipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
-_- Someone move this to Shipper's Paradise, please...

Oh goodness gracious, let us get some sane and good conversation going in this thread before it devolves into name-calling and ship-bashing.

Pearlshipping and Pokeshipping both have their ups and downs as well as good reasons why both would be fairly valid in the canon world. But as far as shippings go, I'm a diehard Pokeshipper and will be until the day I die.

The reason I say this is fairly complex in nature. Yes, Dawn is super-cute, her outfit is probably a bit better than Misty's, and Dawn is very nice and an all-around "kawaii-desu" character. But Misty's character was so complex. Dawn has always felt very one-sided to me, probably because she's like May's clone in that she's also a Coordinator and also has this complex and that complex when it comes to her Contests. Misty, however, was a very complex and original character. She was Ash's very first female companion, and the pair have always shared a close bond.

Misty had a grasp on something that Ash so desperately wanted to have. Misty had a mastery over her battle skills when it came to water-type Pokemon. I think Ash envied and idolized that in Misty. But Ash had something that Misty desperately wanted as well. Ash had a battle style that was quick-on-its-feet and extremely flexible, almost always getting him out on top. I think Misty envied and idolized that in Ash.

As time went on, Ash and Misty stuck by each other through some tough times. They were friends and rivals.

Misty was also a very round character, as opposed to a flat character. She had many personality aspects. There were things that made Misty angry, things that made her sad. She had a wide range of emotions, and each of them were very real and understandable. Dawn, on the other hand, seems to express a lot of happiness outside of contests, and then extreme amounts of anxiety inside contest halls. Not much else.

Therefor, I see pokeshipping as infinitely better than pearlshipping. But that's just my opinion.

Ash and Misty FOREVER, man.

Misty's crush on Ash was extremely obvious, and they just had the most adorable interactions. Anti-Pokeshippers say, "Well, I hate Pokeshipping because Ash and Misty fought all the time." Yes they did fight, but not all the time. And personally, I thought their arguments were adorable. They acted like typical ten-year-olds who have secret crushes on each other. Their reactions when people accused them of being a couple were PRICELESS. Ah yeah, those were the days. <3

As for Pearlshipping...no. I just don't see it. Please don't think I'm trying to bash, because I'm not. I just don't see anything in it, that's all. Ash and Dawn's interactions are nothing special or unique in my eyes, and I just can't see any attraction between them. "High Touch", for example...no matter how many times I watch that opening, or listen to the words, I detect no romance or shippiness whatsoever. Honestly, it sounds like more of a song about friendship, not love.

So Pokeshipping it is for me. :]

Last edited:
I am not a fan of either shipping, but just because this thread piqued my interest:

She was Ash's very first female companion, and the pair have always shared a close bond.

Ash doesn't seem to consider Misty any more special than any of his other friends, including Brock.

When Ash came home from BF, he didn't ask where Misty was, nor did anyone make any mention her. The fact that Ash ran off to Sinnoh without even asking about Misty whatsoever shows that he doesn't even think of her before going off to a new region. I guess this means Misty is not on his mind at all on his travels. How can you explain Ash's lack of interest in Misty when he came home from BF and headed to Sinnoh?

Misty had a mastery over her battle skills when it came to water-type Pokemon. I think Ash envied and idolized that in Misty.

Not really, I never saw Misty do anything all that amazing with her water Pokemon. She had only a handful of on-screen battles. The reason she beat Ash at the Whirl Cup is because she lucked out with Psyduck and it got a headache, that was not an example of amazing battle skills.

I've honestly seen Dawn do more amazing things with her Piplup than I've ever seen Misty do with hers, ditto for Ash and his water Pokemon like Squirtle, Buizel and Corphish.

But Ash had something that Misty desperately wanted as well. Ash had a battle style that was quick-on-its-feet and extremely flexible, almost always getting him out on top. I think Misty envied and idolized that in Ash.

Misty did, of course.

As time went on, Ash and Misty stuck by each other through some tough times. They were friends and rivals.

So did the other characters. Are you honestly saying Brock, May and Dawn haven't stuck by Ash in all the tough times he had in the regions they were in?

Dawn, on the other hand, seems to express a lot of happiness outside of contests, and then extreme amounts of anxiety inside contest halls. Not much else.

I think you're exaggerating. We've seen Dawn have just as many emotions (as well as May) as Misty. In fact half the things Misty has done, such as mother a baby Pokemon, think about cute dresses/perfume, talk about battling...etc was shared with the other girls.

Therefor, I see pokeshipping as infinitely better than pearlshipping. But that's just my opinion.

I do agree that Misty liked Ash and with Dawn its more of a brother/sister vibe, but I don't see Ash favoring Misty over his other friends.

In fact Ash seems to like them all equally from what I've seen.

PokeShipping is my personal favourite.
With Dawn it seems like more of a brother/sister bond like Scott85 mentioned.

I guess it's a toss-up between Pokeshipping and Pearlshipping. Like Kalylia said, both Ships have had their ups and downs. Both Ships have also had strong hints. I don't really think that we should have a 'versus', but if we should, the it's Pearlshipping for me. <3

Ash doesn't seem to consider Misty any more special than any of his other friends, including Brock.

I never said he considered her MORE special than any of his other friends. I was just commenting on the bond that they shared.

How can you explain Ash's lack of interest in Misty when he came home from BF and headed to Sinnoh?

The shipper in me wants to explain it by saying something like thinking about Misty was painful because of the deep-seated love he has for her, but I know that won't fly. =P I guess I can't really explain it, but since this is a thread about the idea of pearlshipping vs pokeshipping, I guess there isn't much reason for me to explain it, as we don't have a comparable situation to use with Dawn.

I never saw Misty do anything all that amazing with her water Pokemon.

The things Misty did with her water Pokemon were amazing for the point in the series we were in. Pokemon was just starting out. Since then, many things have changed and "amazing" things have become more and more out there and such. But back in the day, Misty was a pretty amazing Pokemon Trainer.

I've honestly seen Dawn do more amazing things with her Piplup than I've ever seen Misty do with hers

That's because Dawn is a Coordinator and its her job to make her Pokemon look good. Misty's big thing was understanding water Pokemon. Remember the first episode with her Horsea? That really demonstrated her connection with the Water element of Pokemon.

So did the other characters. Are you honestly saying Brock, May and Dawn haven't stuck by Ash in all the tough times he had in the regions they were in?

Please don't put words in my mouth. The point of my post was to advocate for Pokeshipping, as it's a ship I subscribe to. Just because I omit saying that other characters also stuck by Ash doesn't mean I don't think they did. I never once mentioned in my post that Ash's first Pokemon was Pikachu, but I certainly don't deny the fact that Pikachu WAS his first Pokemon. Omission and disbelief are two separate things.

I think you're exaggerating. We've seen Dawn have just as many emotions (as well as May) as Misty. In fact half the things Misty has done, such as mother a baby Pokemon, think about cute dresses/perfume, talk about battling...etc was shared with the other girls.

I was not exaggerating. I spent President's Day watching the all-day marathon of Diamond/Pearl Battle Dimension (I'm probably spelling that incorrectly. >.<) and was actually fairly disappointed in Dawn's emotional range. That's my honest opinion.

Scott: I actually agreed with most of your points (and I'm a Pokeshipper!)...but for this one thing:

When Ash came home from BF, he didn't ask where Misty was, nor did anyone make any mention her. The fact that Ash ran off to Sinnoh without even asking about Misty whatsoever shows that he doesn't even think of her before going off to a new region. I guess this means Misty is not on his mind at all on his travels. How can you explain Ash's lack of interest in Misty when he came home from BF and headed to Sinnoh?

That's hardly fair...this is Pokemon, where the humans' interpersonal relationships have NEVER been the main focus of the show. You can't say "if we didn't see it, it didn't happen," because there's so much on this show that we don't see, yet know (from later events, or from sheer knowledge of human nature) HAD to have happened.

So Ash didn't ask about Misty...so what? We don't know if they'd talked on the phone the night before and he knew she wouldn't be able to visit, or what. We don't know that Ash "didn't think of Misty," all we know is that we weren't SHOWN Ash thinking of Misty. If it isn't directly pertinent to the plot of the episode (and doesn't involve Pokemon), the writers are NOT gonna include it.

I'm just sayin'.

Dawn is more of a bubbly cheerful sibling.....Ash s like the older sibling Dawn is younger sibling case closed

Misty has more emotions and is a gym leader which is way stronger than a corrdinator well except for May she's got strong pokemon

That's hardly fair...this is Pokemon, where the humans' interpersonal relationships have NEVER been the main focus of the show. You can't say "if we didn't see it, it didn't happen," because there's so much on this show that we don't see, yet know (from later events, or from sheer knowledge of human nature) HAD to have happened.

So Ash didn't ask about Misty...so what? We don't know if they'd talked on the phone the night before and he knew she wouldn't be able to visit, or what. We don't know that Ash "didn't think of Misty," all we know is that we weren't SHOWN Ash thinking of Misty. If it isn't directly pertinent to the plot of the episode (and doesn't involve Pokemon), the writers are NOT gonna include it.

I'm just sayin'.

*wholeheartedly agrees*

I have to disagree, if we don't see Ash or anyone else mention a character on-screen, its likely the topic of the character never came up. For example in the ep Dawn captures Buizel and Ash uses the Misty lure, Dawn asks, "Who is Misty?"

From that line, we can tell that Ash/Brock never bothered to mention Misty to Dawn for the entire span of DP up until that point.

Likewise, when Ash came home from Hoenn he looked surprised when he saw Misty at Pallet, as if he didn't expect her to be there. However when he came home from Battle Frontier and she wasn't there, he just had no reaction whatsoever and didn't even mention her. Likewise Oak/Tracey/Delia didn't say anything about Misty either.

To be honest I think its just because Ash doesn't feel the need to bring up his friends unless the situation calls for it. I've seen people throw around the theory that Misty calls Ash on the phone...but there is absolutely zero proof in the anime that something like that ever happened. It's very likely it doesn't, given we always see when Oak calls Ash.

If it isn't directly pertinent to the plot of the episode (and doesn't involve Pokemon), the writers are NOT gonna include it.

That is true, but you can't say they still keep in contact outside of the eps they see each other, because there's nothing in the actual show that proves this.

The reason Misty's got so much emotion because she might as well have been animatingly bi-polar (which isn't the real disease, thank you): sweet and soft one minute and raging beast the next.

Serious, comparing Misty and Dawn on the basis of /emotion/ is like comparing Rei and Asuka from Evangelion. Dawn's emotions have a one-track path (staying positive) and Misty's run amuk, unchecked some of the time.

They're both REAL personality types. Emoting has nothing to do with this. There are REAL people who are just like Dawn, and there are REAL people who are just like Misty.

Not to mention, ANYONE with a Misty bias (or a Pokeshipping bias) is going to say she has "more emotion" than May or Dawn, because the woman is a shrew inside a deceptive face.

Dawn fans (or Pearlshipping fans) are going to say that at least Dawn has never not been supportive of Ash, when Misty always wasn't (or have you forgotten she had made snide comments on his battling abilities to his face and doubting him even when he's on the field).

Misty fans will say that her feelings are at least canon.

Dawn fans will say that so are Ash's (meaning he doesn't feel that way in return).

Yadda yadda, et cetra, et cetra.

If you're going to turn this into a debate, at least keep your facts straight and use canon, not your opinions. And most importantly, gais?

Avoid the spammy lines. You got nothing constructive to say, keep your fingers off the keyboard.

You know, I've always like Pokeshipping better because it was (at least in my 7 year old mind) a lot more subtle than when I watch pokemon and see these "hints" with my 15 year old mind. I haven't watched the original seasons in a while though

My opinion is PokeShipping is more logical than PearlShipping. IMO PearlShipping was just created to pair Ash with the female companion, and the same for AdvanceShipping. I bet if there is a 5th Gen and Ash continues to that region, people will pair him up with that female companion.

PokeShipping different because it wasn't shoved down your throat like these other pairings and Ash and Misty have a lot of chemistry together. 4Kids even saw this and did a lot of ship teasing with them.

DCM said:
You know, I've always like Pokeshipping better because it was (at least in my 7 year old mind) a lot more subtle than when I watch pokemon and see these "hints" with my 15 year old mind.

That's how I feel too about this ship. Plus, it has been hinted in other forms that the Cerulean gym leader develops a crush on the main protagonist.

Well, Pokeshipping is really just another one-sided ship. I like it though, cant say why.

But I dont see Pearlshipping. Most of the hints dont really hint at romance at all. My favorite is "Ash and Dawn often smile at eachother often". Ok, why is that unusual for a children's show? Especially between best friends? No way man, smiling at someone of the oposite gender is love!!!111 D:

Well, Pokeshipping is really just another one-sided ship. I like it though, cant say why.

But I dont see Pearlshipping. Most of the hints dont really hint at romance at all. My favorite is "Ash and Dawn often smile at eachother often". Ok, why is that unusual for a children's show? Especially between best friends? No way man, smiling at someone of the oposite gender is love!!!111 D:

I agree! Even as a PokeShipper I knew it was one-sided but Ash hasn't shown any interest to Dawn whatsoever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom