• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

pearlshipping vs. pokeshipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point one: Because Pokemon became popular, and they wanted to advertise the new gens.

Point two: It is invalid since not even the PokeShippers use 4KIDS songs as hints. And there was no Misty's Song in the original (which isn't a dub).

Point three:4KIDS barely added any hints. So sorry, but you just got served.

I was talking about back then before we knew that was the case regarding the songs. Oh and the first bold, man sometimes I'm glad that happen(not that I got a problem with pokeshipping like you want to believe). Now the second bold, wow and here I thought you couldn't be any more immature then you already sounded like:rolleyes:

I was talking about back then before we knew that was the case regarding the songs. Oh and the first bold, man sometimes I'm glad that happen(not that I got a problem with pokeshipping like you want to believe). Now the second bold, wow and here I thought you couldn't be any more immature then you already sounded like:rolleyes:

Immature, or confident that, despite your claims, you do have a "thing" against Pokeshipping? You've already tainted yourself in the eyes of the PS community by repeatedly calling Pokeshipping "old hat."

Oh, and I love that you completely avoided all my other points.

Wow Jabberwocky talk about stooping low in telling me to STFU, I mean do you really get that offended if some one doesn't agree about Pokeshipping:rolleyes:.

I want to know but if the supposed "canon" was so strong then why did they drop it after season 2 when season 3 began cared to explained that?

Oh and by the way my dub argument isn't really invalid since 4Kids did make those songs such as the mistletoe song. 4Kids even re-dubbed Misty's song to make it sound romantic when in the Japanese dub (the true dub) she was only singing about what she accomplished on her adventure. I'm sorry if you fail to see that 4Kids was basically milking pokeshipping for what it was worth since it was very popular:rolleyes:.

LMAO. Do you really get that offended if someone doesn't agree about Pearlshipping?

I respect the fact that you support Pearlshipping and everything, but Pearlshipping honestly has no real evidence. Pokeshipping is more canon than Pearlshipping will ever be (and don't give me that "Pokeshipping was one-sided" argument, because at least Pokeshipping has that much), and if you really think Pearlshipping has a good chance of happening, then you're just in denial.

Immature, or confident that, despite your claims, you do have a "thing" against Pokeshipping?

No, it really is immaturity. You're blowing up every little comment that GhostsNGoblins has made regarding dub consistencies with Pokeshipping.

Yes, 4Kids added only about 3 hints not present in the original. However, two of those three are from Johto, into what became some of the most identifiable PS moments in the Johto saga.

You've already tainted yourself in the eyes of the PS community by repeatedly calling Pokeshipping "old hat."

Pokeshipping is old hat. It's one of the first ships to have a foundation in the anime, and it hasn't had any real ironclad basis going for it in over 5 years.

Myself being a Pokeshipper (PS being my Pokemon OTP even), I wouldn't be surprised if the writers never make even a whim of PS of evidence ever again.

Actually there is no irony with my post because I rarely see people calling Ash and Misty a brother/sister relationship since according to them it was supposedly "canon".

I said that the anti-Pokeshippers claim that the Ash X Misty dynamic is one akin to a sibling relationship.

Every time I'm in a thread like this many keep saying that they get a brother/sister vibe from Ash and Dawn as way in some form to downgrade pearlshipping.

It's because, to them, there really hasn't been much VERY definitive proof that anything Ash and Dawn have done together is one that implies anything similar to a romantic relationship. The closest I think Pearlshippers have got is Ash's concern for Dawn after her second contest loss. There isn't a "The Bicker the Better" or "Pokeball Peril" to add to the Pearlshipping list of evidence.

Immature, or confident that, despite your claims, you do have a "thing" against Pokeshipping? You've already tainted yourself in the eyes of the PS community by repeatedly calling Pokeshipping "old hat."

Oh, and I love that you completely avoided all my other points.

Man I like how you are taking what I'm saying completely out of context and saying I tainted my self in eyes of the PS communty:rolleyes:. You must go for stand up on comedy central because with all the things you said I'm really getting a good laugh at this. Oh and what is this about avoiding you points because before I actually argued them already:confused:. But hey continue you immaturity or what you supposedly call being "confident" and taking my posts out of context because really you are being ridiculous now.

LMAO. Do you really get that offended if someone doesn't agree about Pearlshipping?

I respect the fact that you support Pearlshipping and everything, but Pearlshipping honestly has no real evidence. Pokeshipping is more canon than Pearlshipping will ever be (and don't give me that "Pokeshipping was one-sided" argument, because at least Pokeshipping has that much), and if you really think Pearlshipping has a good chance of happening, then you're just in denial.

Wow me offended by someone else's disagreement:rolleyes:... please don't kid your self and by the way nice way of twisting my words around. If you want to hear my stance on what you said then re-read my previous posts on these boards because I'm not repeating my self again.

My opinion is PokeShipping is more logical than PearlShipping. IMO PearlShipping was just created to pair Ash with the female companion, and the same for AdvanceShipping. I bet if there is a 5th Gen and Ash continues to that region, people will pair him up with that female companion.

PokeShipping different because it wasn't shoved down your throat like these other pairings and Ash and Misty have a lot of chemistry together. 4Kids even saw this and did a lot of ship teasing with them.

Just quoting my opinion from an earlier post.

Man I like how you are taking what I'm saying completely out of context and saying I tainted my self in eyes of the PS communty:rolleyes:. You must go for stand up on comedy central because with all the things you said I'm really getting a good laugh at this. Oh and what is this about avoiding you points because before I actually argued them already:confused:. But hey continue you immaturity or what you supposedly call being "confident" and taking my posts out of context because really you are being ridiculous now.

Listen. Let's just not talk again, okay? You're a PearlShipper. I'm a PearlFriendShipper. End of story. Good night, Bulbagarden. Since neither of our opinions is going to change, what's the point?

Ah, it always comes down to this whenever there's a "debate" regarding shipping. Don't go making personal insults if you want to be taken seriously. That shows who really is immature.

PearlShipping has no romantic hints whatsoever. Seriously, Bulbapedia's hints are simply what friends do for each other.
PokéShipping is in fact many steps ahead of Pearlshipping. At least it shows evidence that Misty has a romantic interest in Ash.

Ah, it always comes down to this whenever there's a "debate" regarding shipping. Don't go making personal insults if you want to be taken seriously. That shows who really is immature.

PearlShipping has no romantic hints whatsoever. Seriously, Bulbapedia's hints are simply what friends do for each other.
PokéShipping is in fact many steps ahead of Pearlshipping. At least it shows evidence that Misty has a romantic interest in Ash.

I agree. Personal insults will help no one to convince someone else. And as long as a ship did not actually happen in screen in the anime, no ship can be called "the absolute truth". Ships are a combination of hints and feelings. With Pearlshipping the hints are more feeling based in my opinion, more like "look how well they are tuned in to each other, take on challenges together etc" or "Dawn just looks cute". Pokéshipping has better hints and was intended to happen at the beginning of the series, but when Pokémon became big, the idea was put on ice, and no one can say with 100% certainty that it will thaw out. So it's not so strange that some refer to it as "old hat" because it did happen a long time ago. And some people are a bit put off by Misty's rivalry with Ash, and therefor prefer Dawn.

Personally, I prefer a little tension above easy going, so if I had to choose between pearl of poké I would choose poké, but as you can see in my signature, I am not a pokéshipper. So it is possible to see the hints for certain ships, without bashing at people who support other ships.

This thread will be like the thread "Contestshipping x Advanceshipping". We will discuss this forever. I hope someday the writters, when they do 1000 episodes, maybe they could do Ash make a couple with somebody, to end these endless discussions. Sorry if i'm disturbing the peace in this thread, but i was just a little mad, about what happened in the other thread.

I think is better we say the good points of Pokeshipping and the good points of pearlshipping, cause we will never convince a pearlshipper that his\her shipp can't happen and a pokeshipper that his\her ship can't happen. :XD:

This thread will be like the thread "Contestshipping x Advanceshipping". We will discuss this forever. I hope someday the writters, when they do 1000 episodes, maybe they could do Ash make a couple with somebody, to end these endless discussions.

1000 episodes?! On the upcoming Thursday will be the 600th episode in Japan.... People will eventually just get frustrated with the writers if they plan to make the first couple on the 1000th episode.

I always found the psychology of Pokemon very interesting. Knowing Tajiri and the little perv he is, I think I can profile where Ash's hormones will aim for. Let's establish one thing first: Satoshi Tajiri, creator of the Pokemon/Pocket Monster franchise, is a clear projection source of Ash/Satoshi, the biggest protagonist of the Pokemon franchise.

Firstly, let us examine Ash's situation at the beginning of the entire franchise: a young, pubertial, inexperienced, snarky, arrogant and hopeful Trainer with aspirations to be the greatest, with the id (basic needs/desires), ego (own personality), and superego (morals, values, ethics) at great, stress-inducing crossroads. At his side was an unmaneagable Pikachu, one that Misty was very fond of and kept quite happy. While experimentation of all orientations amidst pre-pubertial and pubertial-age kids is common, it is also common for males to find friendships with other males a lot more rewarding than with females. While many may see signs pointing to PalletShipping and Ash's alleged homosexuality, it also leaves ground open for Misty. Why? Misty is a tomboy, with a lot of characteristics common only in males: flat chest, lanky build, outgoing hostility, dress, etc. Not only would this appeal to Ash's burgeoning sexuality, but would cement Misty's position as a mainstay in Ash's life. Ash's path as a Trainer is, while the franchise doesn't show it, very stressful for a kid his age: away from home, little human intimacy, and in an aggressive environment, he'd be traumatized and would probably have packed up and left for home. However, his will, along with the people whom accompany him (Misty above all others) spur him on.

As Ash matures and ages, many PearlShippers argue, however, Ash's sexual appetite will mature as well, and his instinct would be to aim for a genuinely feminine girl, a.k.a Dawn. However, if you take into account the prior analysis and forget the fact Ash has only aged one year since the beginning of the anime/franchise, this would be in confliction with psychoanalytical processes and basic psychology.

One theory, though one I've debunked, I had once was that Ash was sexually frustrated/confused, with a burgeoning homosexuality he tried to stifle first with Misty and then with the other two girls (May and Dawn), with Misty being the most succesful of the relationships. Of the many AshShippings in the Pokemon world, AdvanceShipping, in my eyes, is the least likely. Keeping in mind Pokemon is intended for kids, it would make sense the creators would keep a female companion close to Ash, keeping the franchise/show from becoming a proverbial "sausage-festival". May was probably just a stand-by, seeing as how she lasted the least of all the girls (so far). However, I am quite sure she was responsible for Ash's sexual development: if memory serves me right, there was this one episode where May sheds her clothes and reveals herself to Ash in a two-piece bathing suit. Neither Misty nor Dawn ever revealed that much skin... or did they? "The Misty Mermaid" would serve only in Ash becoming a pervert by today's standards, and Dawn I've never seen go ecchi.

One thing that bothers me about PokeShipping, however, is whether Ash reciprocates Misty's love for him. As true as everything I mentioned before be, his sexual preference is still quite open. If the above is acceptable, then Ash has developed along the straight path, and would be a healthy heterosexual kid. However, due to her constant presence, I do think a brother/sister relationship entirely plausible. And one thing people don't seem to notice is that Misty has a phobia for bugs. Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of the series, was a bug collector, and was quite saddened when the woods near his home were paved over.

This fact could go one of three ways:

1.) The fact is an allusion to Misty's polarity-mesh with Ash, and the two are destined to be together.

2.) The fact is a sign of Satoshi's dissaproval of girls of this type (the hypocrisy of their lifestyles), and Misty is not Ash's source of attracton

3.) The fact is irrelevant and the attraction/repulsion between the two is caused by something else.

What might that be, you ask? I'd love to hear your opinions.

1. Satoshi Tajiri has always had little to do with the show. Now he's not even involved in the games. He is irrelevant.

2. Satoshi (Ash) is 10 years old. He is not interested in romance atm, because he is too preoccupied with catching/training pokemon and achieving his ambitions. Not because he's gay. (Well he could be, but he's not interested in either sex atm.)

3. Satoshi has never been arrogant. Nor has he ever been a pervert.

4. How do you know Tajiri's a "little perv"?! That's a rather overpowering assumption!

Keep in mind, it's all assumption. Whether or not you believe it, it's quite fine. And, you have to admit, no kid is that obsessed with catching a bunch of animals; around 300 million of them weren't. But, then again, I guess that's why Ash is the protagonist of one of the biggest Japanese franchises in the world: because he really is that obsessed with catching Pokemon.

But if you really do look at it as "He's too dedicated at catching Pokemon to have a life right now", then the only thing that fits is a Narcissistic disorder, and that's no fun at all.

I guess your username, title and post say it all really - you enjoy looking far too deeply into things :p That's fine though, you're allowed to. I just totally disagree. I'm perfectly happy with Satoshi not having a disorder of any kind!

Well, he could be a little more attentive to some else's feelings, and actually notice if a girl likes him... but apart from that, nice analysis, but now let's get on with the topic question... :ksmile:

Hey, there, Son of Freud! Nice to meet you.

As someone who really enjoys the old backyard-psychologist approach to character analysis, I enjoyed reading your post up there. I have to say, however, that you appear to be working from (as someone once said on another awesome show) "a radical interpretation of the text" when you assign Narcissistic Personality Disorder to Ash/Satoshi. If he were a young adult, that might be applicable, but he's a kid - and one who has not yet achieved puberty, even. It's normal for kids/teenagers to be a bit self-involved.

As for the level of his obsession with Pokemon...when I was Ash's age, I could have matched Ash for obsessive tendencies (though my obsessions tended to switch after a year or two). Most of the kids I knew were the same way.

As for Misty's bug-phobia, I suspect that was thrown in there because it's a reliable source of funny.

And I, too, wonder where you heart that Satoshi Tajiri was a pervert...now, Ono, who did the "Electric Tale of Pikachu" manga, is widely known to be pervy...but from all I've heard, Tajiri is a typical fanboy. Typical fanboys might be pervy in their way, but no more (surely) than MOST boys/men are at times.

Nice feedback from y'all.

I suppose... guess it's my obsession to look into things a bit too much. I always knew that there really wasn't more to Pokemon than what one saw... but Pokemon by itself just got boring as you get older... unless you're into amassing stuff; then it never gets old.

Admittedly, if Pokemon were just any old anime series, then I suppose people like me would leave it be. But, ladies/gentlemen/lentlemen, this is one of the biggest franchises in the history of the world. Sure, it's dying now, but at one point it was the craze of the world. From what I see, it's not even dead at all. It begs analysis on all points.

Yes, I was confused about the whole perv thing. Sorry, Mr. Tajiri. :(
It's just that, reading "Electric Tale" and seeing Misty in that... swimsuit when I got it over the Internet a while back... I assumed things, I guess. XD

P.S: is it true Tajiri has Asperger's Syndrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom