• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

pearlshipping vs. pokeshipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, it seems Quest is currently making a rebuttal to my argument...

Hmmm, it seems Quest is currently making a rebuttal to my argument...

Um...I guess so. Even though I posted and edited earlier than your post...

However, also remember that saving each other, high-fives, cheering, and whatnot also != love.

Basically, PokéShipping is short term, while PearlShippng is long-term.

Why? It is very common for best friends to fall for his/her best friend (myself included). Now, you may see this as cliché, but no. It is very common.

Final thought: While I am a PokéShipper to a limited degree, I must disagree that Misty is truly in love with Ash, and that Dawn does have a higher chance of actually falling for Ash and vice-versa at some point.

In the long term, PearlShipping wins.

If you reply, please quote this and comment in bold within the quotes. It's easier to see your rebuttals that way.

True. In the shipping world, High fives, saving each other, and cheering someone on all count as love.

However, as we all know, in the real world, they count as friendship, and do not signal long-term romantic relationships.

We also know that in the real world crushes are short term, unless the other person shows affection as well and something grows.

In my view, they have equal chance of "happening".

*applauds Quest's post* Well said :)

Why, thank you.

Last edited:
True. In the shipping world, High fives, saving each other, and cheering someone on all count as love.

Even in fandom, those are friendship hints.

However, as we all know, in the real world, they count as friendship, and do not signal long-term romantic relationships.

You fail to see the point. By long term, it means that PearlShipping has far more potential than PokéShipping whne it comes to actual love. You see, as best friends they have a pretty good chance of falling for each other. Friendship isn't love, but it's potential. And that's what counts. Unless Misty can rethink how she treats Ash...

We also know that in the real world crushes are short term, unless the other person shows affection as well and something grows.

Nope, even if the other person returns the feelings, it is not love.

It's a common high-school misconception, really. But the truth: it's your hormones talking, not you. At their age, there is no love, only lust and admiration masquerading as "love".

Which is why relationships at that age amost never last.

I won't argue with your view, but I will present mine. So far, Ash sees both as his good friends, but it seems Dawn is a better friend. Who knows?

Comments in bold.

Even in fandom, those are friendship hints.

You fail to see the point. By long term, it means that PearlShipping has far more potential than PokéShipping whne it comes to actual love. You see, as best friends they have a pretty good chance of falling for each other. Friendship isn't love, but it's potential. And that's what counts. Unless Misty can rethink how she treats Ash...

It's a common high-school misconception, really. But the truth: it's your hormones talking, not you. At their age, there is no love, only lust and admiration masquerading as "love".

I won't argue with your view, but I will present mine. So far, Ash sees both as his good friends, but it seems Dawn is a better friend. Who knows?

What I get from your view is that any close friendship can develop into a long-term relationship, which means Ash and May could end up together as well.

How do you know Dawn is a better friend? I guess we'll find out when/if she leaves, because we've never had such an emotional departure as the time Misty left (Brock left too...but he came back, so it doesn't count for him).

Besides, they're at an age where anything can happen. For all we know, Ash will never fall in love with Misty, May, or Dawn.

Last edited:
What I get from your view is that any close friendship can develop into a long-term relationship, which means Ash and May could end up together as well.

How do you know Dawn is a better friend? I guess we'll find out when/if she leaves, because we've never had such an emotional departure as the time Misty left (Brock left too...but he came back, so it doesn't count for him).

Besides, they're at an age where anything can happen. For all we know, Ash will never fall in love with Misty, May, or Dawn.

That is true. Dawn has a tiny edge over the other two girls, since she's the one with Ash ATM.

Why is Dawn a better friend? This is an opinion, of course, but Misty seems a bit abusive to Ash. May is a good friend, but she hasn't done the things Dawn has.

May actually is preoccupied with drew ATM, but off course, who knows what'll happen, especially at that age?

Basically this single debate, despite being small, has essentially rendered this thread invalid.

From what I've seen, arguments for each shipping have, until now, been relatively unchanged.

I see no point in this thread anymore.

What Quest says is true, and a fact that I have tried to convey. There is no definite proof of any shippings ever being canon. Discussions about hints just may as well go in their respective groups.

Also realize that I took this argument in a purely neutral point of view or as little bias as I could.

Ultradude, all that you say makes sense IRL. But you're forgetting that this is an anime. Hell, a kodomo anime at that. They like to go for the obvious. So the fact that Kasumi has a crush on Satoshi is a big tip on the canon scale, because kids aren't going to think "crushes at that age never last!", more that "OMG! She fancies him! They're sooo gonna get together 8D" From that angle of obvious in kodomo anime wins, Pokeshipping does beat Pearlshipping somewhat.

And I disagree that Kasumi's "abuse" of Satoshi results in their friendship being weaker than that of Satoshi and Hikari's. That certainly doesn't work IRL.

I say this debate in particular is closed. (The one between Ultradude and I anyway, I'm no mod)

Also, thanks ii Kanji for your support :-D

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but the fact is that Pokeshipping has tons of hints while Pearlshipping has near none. Misty not being a main character doesn't mean that Pokeshipping is dead. And for all that are saying that Ash saving Dawn from falling is a hint, think about it, if one of your best friends were falling to their deaths, wouldn't you try to save them? Of course, seeing as Ash is ten and hasn't noticed a single hot girl, it is equally unlikely he will never get together with anyone. Remember people, this IS a kids show...

Last edited:
I'll be taking neutral sides for now.

PokéShipping has been shown to be one-sided: Misty is infatuated with Ash. Ash treats Misty like his best friend. No more, no less.

Now, Ashy-boy may have blushed quite a few times, but that doesn't mean he's in love. It's happened to me when accused of being a couple with a ladyfriend of mine, but... no.

And as we all know, childhood infatuations, or crushes, are temporary. These last from days to weeks and even months. Unfortunately, Misty (remember she is only twelve) does not know true love, and Ash is either

1) Too stupid
2) Has yet to begin puberty
3) Gay
4) Not interested in girls
6) All of the above (jk)

Answer? 5.

That said, I move on to PearlShipping.

Dawn has been shown to be extremely close friends with Ash, perhaps even more so than both Brock, Misty, and May.

She has given him high-fives, cheered for him, helped him train (for the most part, unlike the other girls, I should say), and synchronized perfectly with Ash.

And vice-versa.

Conclusion: As we have seen, Misty obviously has (or had) a huge crush on Ash. Unfortunately, it was never shown whether or not she got over it.
Remember that crush != love.

However, also remember that saving each other, high-fives, cheering, and whatnot also != love.

Basically, PokéShipping is short term, while PearlShippng is long-term.
Why? It is very common for best friends to fall for his/her best friend (myself included). Now, you may see this as cliché, but no. It is very common.

Final thought: While I am a PokéShipper to a limited degree, I must disagree that Misty is truly in love with Ash, and that Dawn does have a higher chance of actually falling for Ash and vice-versa at some point.

In the long term, PearlShipping wins.

If you reply, please quote this and comment in bold within the quotes. It's easier to see your rebuttals that way.

That is true. Dawn has a tiny edge over the other two girls, since she's the one with Ash ATM.

Why is Dawn a better friend? This is an opinion, of course, but Misty seems a bit abusive to Ash. May is a good friend, but she hasn't done the things Dawn has.

May actually is preoccupied with drew ATM, but off course, who knows what'll happen, especially at that age?

Basically this single debate, despite being small, has essentially rendered this thread invalid.

From what I've seen, arguments for each shipping have, until now, been relatively unchanged.

I see no point in this thread anymore.

What Quest says is true, and a fact that I have tried to convey. There is no definite proof of any shippings ever being canon. Discussions about hints just may as well go in their respective groups.

Also realize that I took this argument in a purely neutral point of view or as little bias as I could.

Here, pal. Read these again. They refute your argument in to the ground twenty times over.
You repeat the same argument over and over. Not the best for a debate.
Come again?

Last edited:
Here is my arguement. I believe that Misty did have a crush on Ash. That is totally obvious. On Ash's side, I believe that he didn't consider Misty to be anything else other than a friend to him. He never really showed any special feelings towards Misty apart from an obvious friendly bond. This is boosted by the fact that back then, Ash was even more dense than he is now. We are now many seasons ahead. I believe that Ash and Dawn make a great pairing as both of their aspirations are set in stone and both will do anything to achieve said aspirations. They look out for each other and really support each other when the going gets tough. Dawn actually cheers for Ash in his gym battles and wears a proper outfit. Misty and May have never gone that far during his battles they simply discuss whether or not he could win. Ash's real support in Dawn's contest Hiatus really boosted her. He was genuinely worried for her well being as evidenced in one of the episodes she lost the appeal round in her contests. He sees through her facade of acting ok with it and bows his head so you can't see his eyes. This is exactly what happens when he is really upset about something. I hope you've gathered by now that I'm a PearlShipping supporter :D

One more thing, It's impossible for Ash to be 10 now! His adventures must have taken him years. I would place him as about 12 or 13 but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Here is my arguement. I believe that Misty did have a crush on Ash. That is totally obvious. On Ash's side, I believe that he didn't consider Misty to be anything else other than a friend to him. He never really showed any special feelings towards Misty apart from an obvious friendly bond. This is boosted by the fact that back then, Ash was even more dense than he is now. We are now many seasons ahead. I believe that Ash and Dawn make a great pairing as both of their aspirations are set in stone and both will do anything to achieve said aspirations. They look out for each other and really support each other when the going gets tough. Dawn actually cheers for Ash in his gym battles and wears a proper outfit. Misty and May have never gone that far during his battles they simply discuss whether or not he could win. Ash's real support in Dawn's contest Hiatus really boosted her. He was genuinely worried for her well being as evidenced in one of the episodes she lost the appeal round in her contests. He sees through her facade of acting ok with it and bows his head so you can't see his eyes. This is exactly what happens when he is really upset about something. I hope you've gathered by now that I'm a PearlShipping supporter :D

One more thing, It's impossible for Ash to be 10 now! His adventures must have taken him years. I would place him as about 12 or 13 but that's just my opinion.

That doesn't prove that Ash and Dawn like each other, it just shows that they're good friends.

Why would Ash keep the Misty special lure for so long, why would the creators have her name come up again, and why did Ash make such a fuss when Dawn asked to use it?

Just saying, where do you get the idea that Ash had the Misty lure for such a long time?

Ash didn't even get it till the 5th to last episode of Battle Frontier. It appeared again in early DP, which was only about 40 eps later.

I also think the purpose of the Misty lure showing up was to introduce Misty to Dawn, without actually having the character show up. I remember in early DP the writers wouldn't even mention May, Ash/Brock didn't even tell Dawn about her, and that was the writers way of building up suspense for her return cameo. Misty, on the other hand, was introduced early on, and given Sinnoh is almost over, its probably because the writers want each of Ash's former friends to have a token.

Ash also has the half Pokeball from Gary, and the half ribbon from May. What makes the Misty lure more important than Gary and May's tokens?

That doesn't prove that Ash and Dawn like each other, it just shows that they're good friends.

Ah, my point there was mainly to prove that whatever feelings Dawn and Ash have for each other, the feelings are mutual. It seems you totally ignored my part where I said Pokeshipping is one sided as Misty has a crush on Ash, granted but, Ash simply treats her as a close friend and nothing more. In simple terms, PearlShipping has a much better chance of being canon.

(how come Advanceshipping isn't in this one?)

Anyway if we are not counting Advance im going Pokeshipping.

Anyone can tell that Misty has a crush on Ash and to me, it felt more of a one sided ship. Advance they both show some likeing. like Ash checking May out on the abandon ship. Pearlshipping? i see it as more of a friendship based shipping, them as a couple seems blurry to me, yeah i support because of their friendship. both haven't showed blushing or convincing hints that they like each other.

Let's throw in MorpheusShipping and AbilityShipping as well then, since both Angie and Anabel crushed on Ash, and Ash could clearly get along with both these tomboys pretty well. :sweatlol:

Is it just me, or is 90% of the girl population tomboys here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom