• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Perhaps the little capture hoop things...

ImJessieTR

Does Team Rocket hire?
Reaction score
I've been wondering about the hoops to capture pokemon, like Domino used (for some bizarre reason the writers are tending to really like them over pokeballs lately). They remind me of the things Lawrence III used, and Annie & Oakley (ok, this was Altomare's tech and not theirs) imprisoned Latios in some hoops. I wonder how these work and if they are related tech. Perhaps Domino and LIII are from Altomare?

Team Rocket and LIII have a lot of money, so it is highly likely that they researched and invested in using Alto Mare technology.

Yeah, the hoops probably use a similar technology. Like a Pokéball, but without the casing.

I may need to rewatch the second movie again to be sure, but didn't the hoops Jirarudan used generate some sort of electrical field (or electromagnetic field) that prevented any of the Legendaries from using their attacks?

Capture Polygons

IIRC, the capture polygons (as I call them) used in the second movie had two functions - they prevented the Pokémon from moving beyond their perimeter and prevented their attacks from going beyond the same invisible line. It is because of this that I doubt that they use the same technology as the Pokéball. They seem to have been free-flying forcefield generators of some kind. Their advantage (from Laurence III's point of view) was it allowed him to restrain the Legendary Birds without having them digitised and stored as a matter stream in a Pokéball.

I also seem to recall that different shaped uinits were used against different Legendary Birds. That suggests, to me, that the technology can be optimised to resist the power of fire, electric or ice-type attacks.

As to TR using them as well, I think the answer is pretty obvious - TR designed and developed this equipment. Laurence III, their dupe, was supplied the equipment via a legitimate Team Rocket front corporation for a field test. That he was ultimately defeated was irrelevant - the technology was proven as completely viable and a smaller version was issued to Domino for her attempt to recapture Mewtwo.

However, remember that Laurence III's airship crashed semi-intact in the Orange Islands. The government of the Pokémon Islands must have disected his equipment (given that he nearly created an environmental catastrophe, this would have been a security necessity; besides, the ability to capture any Pokémon, no matter how powerful, in this manner would have been a capability that no government would want to be without). Government-funded engineers would have reverse-engineered the Capture Polygon technology and created their own version which was stolen by Annie and Oakley to use against the Legendary Birds of Altomare

..huh? They were never used to capture Mewtwo, just the twerps.
...Man, that was a great 15 minutes of anime, seeing the twerps put in their place.

Really, I've always seen them as human Pokeballs, not to mention they have the advantage of taking captives quickly and easily.

I didn't say they were to capture Mewtwo. TR used them on the twerps and on the other pokemon.

I recall the glorious days when we refered to "Jiddy's" flying electric thingees as "the hula hoops of Doom"....And later, a spinoff being the Onion Rings of Doom when an RPG took everyone down to Burger King to collect the mystic orbs as Kids Club meal prizes and use a microwave as the shrine.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom