• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Personality & Development: Ash's Charizard: Reviewing the characterization of anime P

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Personality & Development: Ash's Charizard: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémon

I finished "Gathering the Gang of Four" in the fourth issue of Personality & Development. This is my first analysis of a Pokémon who evolved and I certainly hope you all will enjoy it.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Personality & Development: Ash's Charizard: Reviewing the characterization of ani

I guessed Psyduck in the other thread... Either way, good read.

Re: Personality & Development: Ash's Charizard: Reviewing the characterization of ani

I guess Psyduck or Meowth.

I was disappointed when Charizard left the series (only making single appearances every once in a while). I understand things come and go but I feel this is one of the reasons why I stopped watching the anime. Ash's Charizard was really quite an interesting character to begin with and without him, the series got really boring to me when I was still a kid. I find most of his other Pokémon in the Johto seasons to be pretty lackluster in comparison, with the exception of Chikorita/Bayleef who harbored a distinct jealousy for Ash's Pikachu and the attention it receives. But anyways, I actually stopped at the Whirl Islands episodes, where the series made another contradiction to the games with making legendaries seem less "legendary" where there existed a mother Lugia and a baby. No further comments. And any season after just seem like watered-down reruns to me... a lot of his later Pokémon are often parallel to some of the Pokémon he owned in the past. He actually managed to obtain the common bird Pokémon of every single canon region, with the exception of the Sevii Islands, of the handheld games (Pidgeotto for Kanto, Noctowl for Johto, Taillow for Hoenn, Staravia for Sinnoh, Pidove for Unova). Anyways, I ranted enough. Just at a disgruntled mood from something else at the moment.

Said no hints but I think we were given one. Headache

I'm guessing this column won't cover Pidgeotto. Seriously, did Pidgeotto ever have a personality?

I'm guessing this column won't cover Pidgeotto. Seriously, did Pidgeotto ever have a personality?

Considering it was the clam one of the group, and in the end became a leader of a flock, yes, it did have a personality.

He said he was taking a break from Ash's Pokemon, not excluding the remaining ones altogether, so we may well see something about Pidgeotto, Butterfree and maybe a few others of the classic ones.

Charizard was one of my favourites when I used to watch the anime so this was a great article and makes me remember what I loved about the anime before I gave it up. Really good analysis of Charizard's personality as a Charmander.

As for the next Pokemon... my guess would be Meowth but Psyduck is a possibility too. The only other alternative that I can think of is Jigglypuff.

Also, I wonder... will Arbok and Weezing get one article between them? They do kind of strike me as doubles of one another.

Nothing can match Ash's Charizard, maybe except for Sceptile and Infernape, but it always followed the tradition of having a powerful fire-breathing, winged dragon to represent the lead character (Beyblade, Bakugan, Digimon, various video games, etc). Its very sad we didnt get to see him perform in the previous league battle because Ash thought Torkoal was a great idea.

Last edited:

I have seen many possible explanations for Charizard's disobedience, and this is one of them that I feel makes no sense. I'd rather take the abnormality, as we had a thread that discussed this, and we pretty much agreed that there is no apparent explanation. Everything else seems to be in order, though. Not much can be said about Charizard that hasn't been said already.

Charizard's disobedience after evolving into Charmeleon always struck me as odd. He was such a loving and obedient guy, then all of a sudden he becomes a brat. I guessed it was due to him thinking he was better then Ash, or that Ash wasn't worth it (sort of a throwback to the games or to Charmeleon's behavior as described in the games).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom