• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Personality & Development: Ash's Pikachu: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pok

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Personality & Development: Ash's Pikachu: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémon

Everyone loves Pikachu, whether you’re watching the show or a character in it. The electric mouse Pokémon that stars alongside his trainer in the anime has become an icon in worldly culture. Pikachu has defiantly made us laugh and even made us cry; the huge amount of screen time he gets gives him a huge advantage as a character, showing a more diverse personality, more development and more characteristics than any other Pokémon in the show.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Personality & Development: Ash's Pikachu: Reviewing the characterization of anime

This was a great read, and after reading this I see a new side to Pikachu I never saw before. Can't wait for the next one~!

Re: Personality & Development: Ash's Pikachu: Reviewing the characterization of anime

This was very well-written, but was more informative than analytical. I don't know what the aim was with regards to the article, but that's what it ended up as.

This was a great article to read, it reminded me of a whole bunch of things pikachu has done throughout the series

Just a couple of things:

1. Why is Cilan linked when he hasn't left Ash yet? ("...with Dawn and every other friend that traveled with Ash...")
2. "Shipping" page links are blank (probably for the best given the apparent focus on canon the wiki has, but still)

Other than that, good article.

2. "Shipping" page links are blank (probably for the best given the apparent focus on canon the wiki has, but still)

The links actually were pointing at the wrong articles. Bulbapedia does have articles on all the major 'ships, including [bp=Shipping:LagomorphShipping]LagomorphShipping[/bp] and [bp=Shipping:KrazyShipping]KrazyShipping[/bp].

I've updated the links in the article so that they don't link nowhere.

It took a great act of bravery and selflessness to win Pikachu over suggesting he suffered some betrayals or let downs in the past leading him to be so closed-minded and unwelcoming of others.
Or maybe he was just a racist? :p
Seriously though, I wonder if his pokeball aversion was real or just a part of his defiance that became a habit. If the former, he had a bad morning before Ash showed up.

great article ^-^

Nice article, but Pikachu IS bland 90% of the time when its not being focused on. :p

Bulbasaur was a beast character. Like when he was forced to evolve but didn't or how bout him as the pokemon ambassador. He was a major capture and friend for Ash. Charizard too would be a good read. Almost ever character since Johto has been bland and stupid. Read Max, May, Dawn and EVERY RIVAL BUT PAUL.

Nice article, but Pikachu IS bland 90% of the time when its not being focused on. :p

So because Pikachu isn't a idiot-funny like Oshawott that makes him bland? What's your definition of a personality?

Nice article, I enjoyed reading it. Though Cilan shouldn't be linked as he hasn't left Ash yet. Maybe change it to either Max, Brock or Misty.

Pikachu has a personality. Who doesn't know that? He's It's had as much as the human characters, though in DPP Pikachu mellowed down.

This was informative. It is plain they analyzed a lot of things that I wouldn't remember clearly, but I will disagree on one matter, and that is that they think Pikachu is young because he seems to be at a certain stage in development. While I do believe it is good when a child learns to care for younger children, I take it as a sign of maturity, that Pika is actually older than most of the pokes he's been around. I will agree that he was not always that way, he was a bit carefree and frivolous at the start, but he eventually mellowed out and became more responsible. This, I feel, makes Pika an adult. As for his relationship with Buneary, I will also disagree on that since Pika did seem to be aware that she likes him, but he just wants to be friends. True, he didn't know how to handle her crying, but I ask you, who does? It could be interpreted that after this, he just played along out of fear he would hurt her feelings again. I liked this feature because surprisingly enough, it showed Pika is more mature than Ash is. (although that may not be too hard to accomplish)

Thinking about i now, I'm surprised they never gave Pikachu a Pichu evolution flashback.

Well, whatever the reason was, I will agree that Pika's decision to not evolve does seem rather immature, and does not reflect well on Ash since he has the same tendency. The intention is plain: this is supposed to make them have a common bond, thus making them even closer, but if anything, this is the one thing that does make Pika seem younger than I said he is. That would mostly apply to the original Vermilion Gym battle, though. When he made the choice again in DP, there was no real reason for it anymore other than they couldn't sacrifice their mascot. There would've been no shame in Pika evolving at that point. He had made his point a zillion times over. He defeated a flipping legend, daggit, what more does he want? To be the all powerful Pikablu? Although the decision makes sense with the nature of the show, I feel Pika should've matured past the point where it mattered, and the show seemed to punctuate this point with the fact that he actually seemed to consider it. It was not to be, though, and it is their loss.

Well, whatever the reason was, I will agree that Pika's decision to not evolve does seem rather immature, and does not reflect well on Ash since he has the same tendency. The intention is plain: this is supposed to make them have a common bond, thus making them even closer, but if anything, this is the one thing that does make Pika seem younger than I said he is. That would mostly apply to the original Vermilion Gym battle, though. When he made the choice again in DP, there was no real reason for it anymore other than they couldn't sacrifice their mascot. There would've been no shame in Pika evolving at that point. He had made his point a zillion times over. He defeated a flipping legend, daggit, what more does he want? To be the all powerful Pikablu? Although the decision makes sense with the nature of the show, I feel Pika should've matured past the point where it mattered, and the show seemed to punctuate this point with the fact that he actually seemed to consider it. It was not to be, though, and it is their loss.

I don't think it is a matter of proving himself, because as you said, Pikachu has proven everything a pikachu can. I think it has to do more with the reluctance to change.

How would you feel if you were practically pampered by your trainer and sat on their head/shoulder. It's more than just friendship, it's like a symbol of status. Pikachu sitting on Ash's shoulder is like him saying: "I'm HIS pikachu. I'M the best pokemon he has. I'M his best friend. Not only that but it also appeals to small children (and even some adults) to have a small pokemon that will always be right there with you, never gone when you need him. Pikachu evovling would get rid of this and would actually feel like a loss to those that watch the show.

Last edited:

I suppose he has some sort of pride, which is why I am not entirely opposed to it. I still feel he had no reason not to evolve other than that, but that is just my feeling.

I suppose he has some sort of pride, which is why I am not entirely opposed to it. I still feel he had no reason not to evolve other than that, but that is just my feeling.

Pikachu just likes himself as himself. He obviously doesn't want to be a Raichu. Pokemon like Gligar wanted to evolve. Pikachu doesn't and Ash isn't going to force anything on his Pokemon.

Well done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom