• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Personality & Development: Ash's Squirtle: Reviewing the characterization of anime Po

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Personality & Development: Ash's Squirtle: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémon

Ash's Squirtle is not just a boring, emotionless plot device Pokémon. It was just as complex a character as Ash's Pikachu, argues Bulbanews columnist Thomas Smithurst.

Read more on Bulbanews

Pokémon: Gen 8.0 You Can (Not) Catch 'em All
Reaction score
Re: Personality & Development: Ash's Squirtle: Reviewing the characterization of anim

Wow, I like this column. It's very well-written.

Reaction score
Re: Personality & Development: Ash's Squirtle: Reviewing the characterization of anim

People think Squirtle has no personality? I've always seen it full of personality, it's especially noticeable in its introduction.

Aka: Sceptile
Reaction score

I forget the things I said about Squirtle before, but I knew most of what was said here. The only thing I will disagree with is the insistence that the pokemon are children. I cannot prove or disprove it, but I'll give it some leeway since rejection is not age specific. In the case of Squirtle, I don't believe it was written with a particular age in mind save for the fact that the Squirtle Squad seem like little more than delinquents. Unlike with Pikachu, though, I cannot say for sure if he has grown. He has matured, there is no doubt of that, but I can't say it's to the same degree as Pikachu. Probably because he was never in a sort of mentor role, not even with May's Squirtle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advanced Trainer
Reaction score

I'd like to say that you're very good at writing these, and I appreciate your mentioning of Bulbasaur and Squirtle's friendship. I think they were a duo before their time. Anyways, I was going to make a request for you, that I would love to read in the near future. How about a Jessie's Wobbuffet article? Or are you just focusing on Ash?

Reaction score

I'd like to say that you're very good at writing these, and I appreciate your mentioning of Bulbasaur and Squirtle's friendship. I think they were a duo before their time. Anyways, I was going to make a request for you, that I would love to read in the near future. How about a Jessie's Wobbuffet article? Or are you just focusing on Ash?
At the moment I am focusing on Kanto Pokemon, but that dosen't mean I'm going to wait to long because as you might imagine, I am dying to write about wobbo

Yes, that's really my neck
Reaction score

I'm very impressed with the standard and insight of these columns. Keep up the good work.

I'm Alive
Reaction score

Thanks for taking the time to write this article.

While I do agree that Squirtle was shown to have a personality, I don't feel like the writers utilized it or showed it enough. I did like the reoccurring Wartortle Squad with whom the Squirtle Squad had a rivalry, though; they should made more appearances.

I would have also liked for it to have experienced some kind of struggle like Turtwig had with Energy Ball or Oshawott did with Aqua Jet (this goes for every other Pokémon Ash had under his possession during Kanto, as well). I wouldn't have minded if it had evolved, either, since I'm a fan of Wartortle and because it would have possibly allowed for some development.

Elite Bulbapedian
Reaction score

I would have also liked for it to have experienced some kind of struggle like Turtwig had with Energy Ball or Oshawott did with Aqua Jet (this goes for every other Pokémon Ash had under his possession during Kanto, as well). I wouldn't have minded if it had evolved, either, since I'm a fan of Wartortle and because it would have possibly allowed for some development.
If every one of his Kanto Pokémon had it, it would be far too overused. Around two per region is enough to be interesting but not overused.

I'm Alive
Reaction score

If every one of his Kanto Pokémon had it, it would be far too overused. Around two per region is enough to be interesting but not overused.
I guess struggle wasn't the right word to use; I meant that I would have liked for each of his Pokémon to have a storyline. I don't think each one having a struggle would have been an overload, though, as long as each didn't last for more than, say, six or seven episodes.