• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Personality & Development: Ash's Squirtle: Reviewing the characterization of anime Po

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Personality & Development: Ash's Squirtle: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémon

Ash's Squirtle is not just a boring, emotionless plot device Pokémon. It was just as complex a character as Ash's Pikachu, argues Bulbanews columnist Thomas Smithurst.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Personality & Development: Ash's Squirtle: Reviewing the characterization of anim

Wow, I like this column. It's very well-written.

Re: Personality & Development: Ash's Squirtle: Reviewing the characterization of anim

People think Squirtle has no personality? I've always seen it full of personality, it's especially noticeable in its introduction.

I forget the things I said about Squirtle before, but I knew most of what was said here. The only thing I will disagree with is the insistence that the pokemon are children. I cannot prove or disprove it, but I'll give it some leeway since rejection is not age specific. In the case of Squirtle, I don't believe it was written with a particular age in mind save for the fact that the Squirtle Squad seem like little more than delinquents. Unlike with Pikachu, though, I cannot say for sure if he has grown. He has matured, there is no doubt of that, but I can't say it's to the same degree as Pikachu. Probably because he was never in a sort of mentor role, not even with May's Squirtle.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd like to say that you're very good at writing these, and I appreciate your mentioning of Bulbasaur and Squirtle's friendship. I think they were a duo before their time. Anyways, I was going to make a request for you, that I would love to read in the near future. How about a Jessie's Wobbuffet article? Or are you just focusing on Ash?

I'd like to say that you're very good at writing these, and I appreciate your mentioning of Bulbasaur and Squirtle's friendship. I think they were a duo before their time. Anyways, I was going to make a request for you, that I would love to read in the near future. How about a Jessie's Wobbuffet article? Or are you just focusing on Ash?

At the moment I am focusing on Kanto Pokemon, but that dosen't mean I'm going to wait to long because as you might imagine, I am dying to write about wobbo

I'm very impressed with the standard and insight of these columns. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for taking the time to write this article.

While I do agree that Squirtle was shown to have a personality, I don't feel like the writers utilized it or showed it enough. I did like the reoccurring Wartortle Squad with whom the Squirtle Squad had a rivalry, though; they should made more appearances.

I would have also liked for it to have experienced some kind of struggle like Turtwig had with Energy Ball or Oshawott did with Aqua Jet (this goes for every other Pokémon Ash had under his possession during Kanto, as well). I wouldn't have minded if it had evolved, either, since I'm a fan of Wartortle and because it would have possibly allowed for some development.

I would have also liked for it to have experienced some kind of struggle like Turtwig had with Energy Ball or Oshawott did with Aqua Jet (this goes for every other Pokémon Ash had under his possession during Kanto, as well). I wouldn't have minded if it had evolved, either, since I'm a fan of Wartortle and because it would have possibly allowed for some development.
If every one of his Kanto Pokémon had it, it would be far too overused. Around two per region is enough to be interesting but not overused.

If every one of his Kanto Pokémon had it, it would be far too overused. Around two per region is enough to be interesting but not overused.

I guess struggle wasn't the right word to use; I meant that I would have liked for each of his Pokémon to have a storyline. I don't think each one having a struggle would have been an overload, though, as long as each didn't last for more than, say, six or seven episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom